DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prospective Mini 4 Pro EU pilots might want to check on the maximum height limit !

All this height limit drama got me all conspiratorial.... what is stopping DJI pulling a fast one on us, and allowing to fly past the 120m height limit with the latest firmware until the date of January 1st 2024?

Firmware update wouldn't be needed, all they needed to do was program that if the date is on the year 2024 and after then put a hard limit on the 120m height.

This would ensure maximum profits for them while allowing total compliance with the law - a win/win for DJI!

Reactions: waynorth
All this height limit drama got me all conspiratorial.... what is stopping DJI pulling a fast one on us, and allowing to fly past the 120m height limit with the latest firmware until the date of January 1st 2024?

Firmware update wouldn't be needed, all they needed to do was program that if the date is on the year 2024 and after then put a hard limit on the 120m height.

This would ensure maximum profits for them while allowing total compliance with the law - a win/win for DJI!
And what happens if the law is repealed next month, does the height limit still kick in or will the software connect to wifi and the internet and check to see if the law is still valid before it gets triggered? 😂

What you speak of is not a thing. o_O

watch this
in short, you will have the 500m limit on all minis till 2024
and theres already a hack for the 120m limit that you can use from 2024 :)
so everything is fine :)

Last edited:
watch this
in short, you will have the 500m limit on all minis till 2024
and theres already a hack for the 120m limit that you can use from 2024 :)
so everything is fine :)
We've all seen many videos and they basically are starting to conclude the same thing: We don't know for sure what DJI will do when 2024 arrives. I think you guy know what the law says and what the condition of the drone is in today but it's only a guess what will happen for the new year whether there is another software update or not. Correct?

Why would DJI limit the altitude to 120m?
The law is that the drone cannot be higher than 120m from the ground. And no higher than 120m from the launch point.
So the pilot is responsible not to fly higher than 120m to the ground.

Reactions: QuaiOui
Why would DJI limit the altitude to 120m?
The law is that the drone cannot be higher than 120m from the ground. And no higher than 120m from the launch point.
So the pilot is responsible not to fly higher than 120m to the ground.
Have you read all the comments, in particular post 12?

If/should DJI implement a 120m restriction AFTER the fact they should offer a rebate on the purchase price IMHO. When I buy a car, motorcycle or boat motor with specific specs stated at time of buying, only to find it only outputs half the horse power after the first dealership service, we'd be going to consumer court, even if I live in a suburb with 60kmh speed restrictions.
When I fly my DJI products in mountain areas their 120m 'above takeoff point' argument is nullified, just like they allow their drones to be flown above restricted height when I fly over an 500m escarpment, as I often do, the DJI firmware happily declaring that I'm flying underground.
Should DJI feel they need to observe FAA/CAA rules on my behalf they should furbish their drones with proper height sensing equipment, like real aircraft has and they should clear up their own confusion with terminology, AGL and above takeoff point ain't the same thing, also not in the eyes of FAA and CAA.
Quite correct. It is not for either the Maker or the Government, via the Maker to set the Rules.

The Rules are set in the EU by EASA.

In particular to this question, the is no mention at all about 120m above take-off level. What the EASA says is....

Article 4 - ‘Open’ category of UAS operations

(e) during flight, the unmanned aircraft is maintained within 120 metres from the closest point of the surface of the earth, except when overflying an obstacle, as specified in Part A of the Annex.

There is no reference to the 120m discussed herein. So, if one is flying up the side of a precipice, then the maximum height is 120m above the top of the precipice, so long as one stays within 120m of the precipice at ANY TIME during the climb.

Hence the real question is does DJI adhere to this in terms of warnings only?

A further question does DJI provide a limit or a warning. Two desperately different thing. DJI should only provide a warning. It is the Pilots job to obey the regulation and the Operators to ensure he does this.

And what happens if the law is repealed next month, does the height limit still kick in or will the software connect to wifi and the internet and check to see if the law is still valid before it gets triggered? 😂

DJI will issue a firmware update, probably pretty quickly.

What you speak of is not a thing. o_O

A time bomb in firmware is nothing novel or unusual. I'd be surprised if DJI hasn't used this technique in the past for one or more of their products.

No wifi connection or checking is necessary. It would be a foolish business decision to spend engineering resources to build contingency functionality for something that is extremely unlikely to happen (repeal).

Remember that the date is available to the drone by itself through GPS.

Just wanted to point out, I don't think it is going to be easy for EU drones which are limited in heigh and range to get these kinds of shots. Either you have to be a great hiker/climber or you need weeks to drive to all the places in the region.

Does anyone of you know if the FCC Hack will also "fix" the 120M height limitation?
I'm still struggeling to get one Pro 4 this or next year.
If the Hack will unlock the altitude, then we would have a C0 certifyed drone and the height would be open too. :)

Does anyone of you know if the FCC Hack will also "fix" the 120M height limitation?
I'm still struggeling to get one Pro 4 this or next year.
If the Hack will unlock the altitude, then we would have a C0 certifyed drone and the height would be open too. :)

My understanding of how it technically works says no.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertexshope11