DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on Close Up Photos

stevearends

Reactions
I recently acquired a wonderful Air2s. Background: in addition to fun I want to use it for damage inspection documentation. Also, I am pretty much a new pilot. I need to take detailed close up photos of roof damage for business purposes - if they are blurry it defeats the purpose - if I need to get onto the roof in order to take detailed closeups I just wasted time with the drone.

I have been experimenting with the Air2s on my personal home and the closeups are "OK" to "pretty good". I have tried snapshots and also videos - 4k with zoom and also 5.4k. They are all "pretty good" but not outstanding. In. order to obtain more consistent high quality closeup photos will I need to purchase a Mavic 3? Or, could I perhaps pickup a used Mavic 2 Zoom? I appreciate everyone's thoughts!
Thx, Steve

I have owned the Mavic 2 Zoom and now the Mavic 3. I think only the Mavic 3 is going to give you the close-up quality you are looking for without getting too near the structure that is being filmed. Its quite a difference between the 2x optical zoom and the 7X tele.

Reactions: stevearends
How close is close up? What area are you trying to cover with the full frame image? 3 feet wide? 10 feet?

How close to the building roof can you fly? 10 feet? 50 feet? Low-rise of high-rise buildings?

As a new pilot, be aware that you'll need a FAA Part 107 license to legally fly for roof inspections.

Don't judge the quality by the live pic on your phone. For video, the live return is only 720p. The SD card in the drone is what stores the high res video.

Thanks everyone (so far)! I love this forum - so many people with precious experience! let me answer - in no particular order:

1) I do have my 107 UA cert
2) I am trying to see damage that is approximately 1" x 1". I usually take photos of an area 1' x 1' for the damage close ups.

Thx!

Reactions: MS Coast
Thanks everyone (so far)! I love this forum - so many people with precious experience! let me answer - in no particular order:

1) I do have my 107 UA cert
2) I am trying to see damage that is approximately 1" x 1". I usually take photos of an area 1' x 1' for the damage close ups.

Thx!
To fill the frame with a one foot object, you're going to need to be at or near the lower limit of the focal distance away from it with an Air 2S without using digital zoom. You might be able to stand off a little further and still get enough detail, but it's hard to speculate without knowing what sort of environment you're flying in.

The 7X optical zoom on the Mavic 3 might be better for the task. I'd give it a shot with the Air 2S first, though.

Good luck. Let us know what you work out to get the job done.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan