DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question ! What do you start up First ? The Drone or the Controller ?

I start my RC first, then plug in my tablet which automatically starts Go 4. This gives them time to communicate while I unfold my MP and then start it.

I used to start in a different order but it then I realized that every time I shut down the MP to switch batteries both the RC and Go 4 were running and waiting for a connection.

One way or another.. as long as we all enjoy our flying;)

I'm not sure if this is due to me messing about with Nitro RC cars many many years ago but I will always switch on the RC first then the drone. I remember getting some RC interference on one of my cars when I was younger and it just took off at about 20mph into a wall :D
Yup, with old analog tech it was very important to have the radio on first/off last. But with properly designed modern digital gear it doesn't matter anymore.

When it fails to connect, remove and then connect the cable from phone to controller. Just unplug it, plug it back in. Might have to do it more than once but this works for me (Pixel 2 XL). I was restarting both until I learned this trick.

Easy one..
Start the controller - you want the bird to be able to connect so that you can control it
power up the bird - let it connect to the controller and start searching for a GPS lock
connect the app - by the time you get this running it should have the green light.

DJI does say it, but they show the aircraft being turned on first.
The audio narration says remote controller and aircraft. Pretty sure it's that order in their quick start too. Looks like they just got sloppy in this video.
And power on isn't a simple two second hold either. It's a double press and you hold on the second press until power on (or off).

I don't recall ever seeing anyone's Drone just fly off before the controller being started ever......

And I don’t want to be the first either so I always turn on the rc first. You are right, it is unlikely to happen but so is my mp falling out of the air when I am flying over people. No matter how unlikely I opt for the safer option and don’t fly over people. I fly rc planes and heli’s too so turning on the transmitter first is pretty ingrained. In any very complicated piece of computerized electronics glitches happen from time to time. Why chance it?

Reactions: Cymruflyer

I'm not a noob by no means been flying 3 years but having issues connecting right away with the mavic 2 pro! I basicly don't always get that bleep that says its connecting so have to keep turning the drone and controller on and off until it works ! Pain the the ***, unless the mavic2pro controller cable is dodgy ?

@ason_sturgess - I don't want to sound like a Dhead but did you not read the manual or watch any of the YouTube Tutorials like everyone else?

I'm not a noob by no means been flying 3 years but having issues connecting right away with the mavic 2 pro! I basicly don't always get that bleep that says its connecting so have to keep turning the drone and controller on and off until it works ! Pain the the ***, unless the mavic2pro controller cable is dodgy ?
ALWAYS, always start the remote control first and then the aircraft. And when powering down do it in the reverse order, always or you’ll lose any settings that you have setup previously.

when powering down do it in the reverse order, always or you’ll lose any settings that you have setup previously.
You won't lose settings if you power down in reverse order.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
what model are you using ie mavic air or mavic pro
Uhh Ohh… you are starting to get old, the OP stated straight away that he had a Mavic 2 Pro. However it makes no difference which drone he has.

When I had my Mavic and every time I now fly my Mavic 2 Pro, I have always turned on my phone, then turned on my controller and lastly turned on the drone. I also shut down but turning off the drone, then the controller and finally the phone, when I have finished flying. In 2 years I have never had a problem getting things up and running, so I keep doing it that way.

Reactions: old man mavic
RC then Mavic Air works for me every time.
Using an Android mobile, the DJI app opens automatically after a short while once the RC is turned on and I allow "Connection in USB mode".

Traditional R/C best practice is remote first, vehicle second. DJI's recommendation is also consistent with this (remote first, aircraft second). Aircraft is the last thing on and the first thing off for me. I don't personally think it makes much of a difference with the way DJI's drones are designed, but if you can follow best practice with zero additional effort, why not.
I've been flying radio control for nearly 60 years, and always switch the transmitter on first. In the past, switching a receiver on in the vicinity of a strong radio transmission could pop the front end of the receiver.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
As many others have already recommended, it's old-fashioned RC practice to turn on the transmitter first.

Like zac, back in the olden days of RC car racing I also had a car run off and wreck itself when powered up before the transmitter, which really drove home the rule for me (see what I did there..?).

Edit: I just realised this reply ignores the reason for the OP! Sorry... :) WRT the connection problem, I've not had any problems nor have I previously read about any, so hopefully someone else will have a useful suggestion!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d