DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question ! What do you start up First ? The Drone or the Controller ?

Jason_sturgess

Reactions

I'm not a noob by no means been flying 3 years but having issues connecting right away with the mavic 2 pro! I basicly don't always get that bleep that says its connecting so have to keep turning the drone and controller on and off until it works ! Pain the the ***, unless the mavic2pro controller cable is dodgy ?

Last edited:

I'm asking this question because I sometimes have to keep turning my drone on and off and back on again to get it to connect and it drives me insane.
what model are you using ie mavic air or mavic pro

I generally start the drone first. That way, when the controller starts, it sees the signal from the drone and normally connects. But I have done it the other way and it has worked.

Try starting everything in this order:

- Power on the RC
- Power on the drone
- Start DJI GO

I like to start the drone first so that it can get started on acquiring a GPS lock while I prep the remote.

Reactions: Porky
i always start the controller first which then links to the display then i start the mav when it says enter device the controller will beep and the screen will say go fly i have never had an issue doing it this way

I'm not sure if this is due to me messing about with Nitro RC cars many many years ago but I will always switch on the RC first then the drone. I remember getting some RC interference on one of my cars when I was younger and it just took off at about 20mph into a wall :D

I'm now terrified of turning anything on without the RC.

I'm asking this question because I sometimes have to keep turning my drone on and off and back on again to get it to connect and it drives me insane.
Random order but most of the time the drone first to let it acquire GPS. I have not noticed anything unusual with either method.

Reactions: Porky
Traditional R/C best practice is remote first, vehicle second. DJI's recommendation is also consistent with this (remote first, aircraft second). Aircraft is the last thing on and the first thing off for me. I don't personally think it makes much of a difference with the way DJI's drones are designed, but if you can follow best practice with zero additional effort, why not.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone's Drone just fly off before the controller being started ever......
This used to be a big problem back when most people were flying the Phantom 2 models. Since the release of the Phantom 3 (and drones beyond), I've never seen anyone run into that issue.

I start the drone 1st followed by the controller then the screen auto powers on. I’ve done this since my phantom 2 vision days & not had any issues to date;)

Traditional R/C best practice is remote first, vehicle second. DJI's recommendation is also consistent with this (remote first, aircraft second). Aircraft is the last thing on and the first thing off for me. I don't personally think it makes much of a difference with the way DJI's drones are designed, but if you can follow best practice with zero additional effort, why not.
RC Controller, then aircraft - is the traditional way going back to the early days of RC models. probably not as necessary now, but still recommended.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stormsignal