DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quiet thread deletion? Not good style...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Rover

Reactions
So, yesterday someone questioned in a thread if it's a proper method to send personal messages to all members to announce the new MA.

Few responded, so did I.

Funny enough now that thread just got quietly deleted as far as I can see.

Looks like someone can't handle critique how it's done in a western democracy.
Not a good way to handle things like that.

why not ask an admin why (maybe it got moved) rather than create a thread? I imagine this thread will self destruct shortly as well :)

Reactions: clackey
Well, I think that a thing like this should be handled openly.
It's a principle thing of how one does things.

The other thread was well mannered and not in any way rude. At least to reply 8 or 9.

I just wanted to look what happened to the discussion thereafter, and it's quietly gone.

Of course the admin could just give a kind reply here as to why it's gone without notice.

Well, I think that a thing like this should be handled openly.
It's a principle thing of how one does things.

The other thread was well mannered and not in any way rude. At least to reply 8 or 9.

I just wanted to look what happened to the discussion thereafter, and it's quietly gone.

Of course the admin could just give a kind reply here as to why it's gone without notice.
It happens a lot. You get responses like "This is not a democracy. It is a privately run website and they make the rules."

I agree with you that it seems we can discuss other "controversial" topics as long as the conversation is civil and and well mannered, however there can never be any open discussion regarding administrative policies and rules.

I also agree that there is absolutely no reason to send a private message to everyone in the forums to announce a product, when it can be done with a posted message instead. Give us the option to read it or not. Private messages should be left for one-on-one communications and not for (let's call it what it is) spam. This is especially true for those of us on 4 or 5 of these forums and we get a "private message" with the same announcement on multiple forums. This is especially annoying when we have our account set to send an alert to our private E-mail account when a message is received.

Just my (nicely worded, non-threatening, civil, well mannered, and most likely soon to be deleted) opinion.

Thanks for bringing it up @Lady Rover.

I think it was just a friendly heads up about a new drone so many are interested in. I was not offended in any way by it at all and was glad to receive it. In hindsight I don't think it was about responding only about knowing the future release of a product and a response wasn't necessary or needed.

I for one not offended either on the message or a thread deleted. But then again I don’t pay the hosting fees or domain fees or any other fees that takes to make a place for all to engage in. I mean really it was a message about a drone and a mavic. It might have been a toilet or some other off the wall not related item then maybe irritating. It requires nothing but a click then read. Done. Another way to look at it. Don’t like how it’s done move on, it’s a big internet. Just my thoughts.

So, yesterday someone questioned in a thread if it's a proper method to send personal messages to all members to announce the new MA.
Few responded, so did I.
Funny enough now that thread just got quietly deleted as far as I can see.
Looks like someone can't handle critique how it's done in a western democracy.
Not a good way to handle things like that.

Rather ironic that you are the only person in this thread about openness and democracy that has no location. Not even a continent or country, let alone a city......

Reactions: tleedom and clackey
Ha. I can help with that. Zero issue with it, despite that its really none of your business, isn't it? I am a 52 year old women living in Southern Germany.
Apart from that, ever heard of data awareness? Do you always throw out your personal info wherever someone asks for it? Not clever either in my eyes.

Rather ironic that you are the only person in this thread about openness and democracy that has no location. Not even a continent or country, let alone a city......
Everyone is entitled to privacy. That has little to do with openness and democracy. And, there’s no forum requirement to add that information. It’s purely discretionary.

Ha. I can help with that. Zero issue with it, despite that its really none of your business, isn't it? I am a 52 year old women living in Southern Germany.
Apart from that, ever heard of data awareness? Do you always throw out your personal info wherever someone asks for it? Not clever either in my eyes.

Freundliche Grüsse from Tamworth UK. I used to live & work in Southern Germany and I work in Cyber security. :) I just amused by a post about openness & Democracy was the only one with not even a continent as a location whereas everyone else had a city/county location. I did not ask your age or name.

I agree that it is not right that Admins delete threads without any reason or notification as to why. The OP and the posters should at least get an explanation However part of it does come down to location. Most of the Admins AFAICS are US based. This means their judgement is based on US levels that are very different to European ones.

Meh, I've got more important things to worry about like my family, the fact that I am out of work because of this covid business, bills piling up, and no clear path out of this yet. So, the fact that a private message announcing a new product was sent to me is so far down my list of things to worry about......I really didn't think about it one way or the other. Lady Rover, I envy how charmed your life is that this is what bothers you.

That's why I use a junk email address for forums and a special junk email address for purchases.
Problem solved.

Reactions: Skyfli
Meh, I've got more important things to worry about like my family, the fact that I am out of work because of this covid business, bills piling up, and no clear path out of this yet. So, the fact that a private message announcing a new product was sent to me is so far down my list of things to worry about......I really didn't think about it one way or the other. Lady Rover, I envy how charmed your life is that this is what bothers you.

Yet you are bothered enough to join in the discussion?

Some of us have been locked down for nearly 2 months. Though the end is in sight at the end of this month and things will start to creep back but not to normal. However Lady Rover is correct without openness and being able to handle critique how it's done in a western democracy we are doomed.

So even though I don't think one thing has anything to do with the other, I do agree that members here should state their location. No one is asking for your address, phone number, and full name. However a general location would be nice so that when questions are posted, we can better answer them.

Being an international forum, it helps a great deal to know where the OP is located. How many times I have see a question asking about regulations and drone laws without a location? Are we supposed to guess whether you are in Osh Kosh or Timbuktu, so we can comment on the regulations there? It helps also in the Classified section where the seller posts the item and says the asking price is 300. Um OK...is that rubles, lira, pesos, dollars, Euros, pounds?

Some of us have been locked down for nearly 2 months. Though the end is in sight at the end of this month and things will start to creep back but not to normal. However Lady Rover is correct without openness and being able to handle critique how it's done in a western democracy we are doomed.
Believe me, I'm not bothered. I'm bored. And yes, I've been under lockdown since Mar23.

That's seems to be the core issue. Folks seem unable to handle an opposing view...

It happens a lot. You get responses like "This is not a democracy. It is a privately run website and they make the rules."
I think this should be the only factor. In fact I hope DJI paid them to do it because anything that makes the site profitable keeps it around longer for us to use. An ad sent to my registration email address would bother me, but they didn't do that.

Yeah, it was in the little notification box on this here website. no big deal.
More important things in life...

That's seems to be the core issue. Folks seem unable to handle an opposing view...

This is where Location does play a part.
It is not just on regulations for Drones but it is also some what cultural.
What is considered "normal" is not normal in another country or culture.
If you have worked in other countries/cultures you will be aware of this.
The problem is a lot on some forums have no concept of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flycaster
Believe me, I'm not bothered. I'm bored. And yes, I've been under lockdown since Mar23.
March 23rd? That was somewhat late. Most of us were locked down in Feb or early March.

Also if you are bored others will be too. It is not sensible to dive in unless you are prepared for other bored people to respond similarly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos