DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Raw pictures ... black at iMac Photos or Preview

Hi finlayson, did you get to the bottom of this issue? cheers

I should've come back here and mentioned it sometime ago… I figured out that it is only the thumbnail image that looks good on my Mac. The DNG is indeed black when you try and open it. So it's just the embedded JPEG thumbnail that looks fine. I'm shooting DNG plus JPEG just to be safe. I'm hoping at some point those DNGs become usable.

Reactions: Noel
I should've come back here and mentioned it sometime ago… I figured out that it is only the thumbnail image that looks good on my Mac. The DNG is indeed black when you try and open it. So it's just the embedded JPEG thumbnail that looks fine. I'm shooting DNG plus JPEG just to be safe. I'm hoping at some point those DNGs become usable.

I'm exactly the same dude! Its a pain in the ar**!

Just got my 2nd replacement today only to find the Raw don't open AGAIN!

I've got the same issue with my Mavic since the latest FW update. All RAW shots shows black. Only OS X application I have that works is Luminar. Using Photo Mechanic 5 I found the FC220 camera firmware was updated from v02.06.484 to v02.07.499. Raw files from the v02.06.484 open in all OS X applications. Raw files taken since the last update with v02.07.499 camera firmware are black!

I'm really confused! emailed a RAW file directly from the app to myself and opens no problem. On Mac mail same thing - the preview shows the file no problem! But when I try from the sd card on Mac the preview is black - but can see the thumbnail.

Hello,
I tried this weekend the RAW photography at my Mavic and saw that under MacOS (Latest SW) Raw files are showd black. You can see the thubnail but when opening they show black. I used Apple Photo and Aperture. Same Outcome.
Anyone had the same or has any idea about to solve it?
Same issue here, I hear DJI are aware and working on it.

I really really hope DJI are aware of the issue as many of us are having the same issue!

Me too, but I'm using Lightroom without issue. It would be nice to see the preview first though :)

It's totally a mavic. I open my inspire1 files and are not black but all my mavic dng files open black. Hope they fix this soon. Opens normal in Lightroom and photoshop but to preview right from disk on Mac it shows a black screen.

I've got the same issue with my Mavic since the latest FW update. All RAW shots shows black. Only OS X application I have that works is Luminar. Using Photo Mechanic 5 I found the FC220 camera firmware was updated from v02.06.484 to v02.07.499. Raw files from the v02.06.484 open in all OS X applications. Raw files taken since the last update with v02.07.499 camera firmware are black!

Since my initial post, I've tried my best to work with DJI support to resolve this, all to no avail. Following DJI recommendations, I went though multiple factory resets and upgraded to the current v01.03.1000. The DNG files always displayed black in Apple Photos and Preview. Next DJI requested I send the Mavic in for repair. They returned a replacement Mavic , a replacement controller with its display scratched up and a replacement battery. Although the serial numbers they listed on the return notice indicated ONLY the Mavic aircraft was replaced. After charging, relinking and initial setup the DNG files displayed black! So the repair process did nothing but leave me without a Mavic for 2 weeks and return a controller with a scratched up display.

Trying to get something to work, I used the Adobe DNG converter and discovered if I choose Camera Raw compatibility 4.6, 4.1 or 2.4 the converted files displayed correctly in Apple Photos and Preview. Using Camera Raw compatibility 7.1, 6.6 or 5.4 they displayed black.

If DJI is choosing to to be compatible only with Adobe editing software and not Apple software, at least they could say so. It's crazy to ignore the problem and act like it's defective hardware.

Same thing for me. With MacOS 10.12.6 I couldn't open .DNG (raw) files from my Mavic on DJI firmware .800 or .900. In Preview the thumbnails were showing fine but I got the black screen when opened. Nor would they open in Photos. Now as of 9/25/17 I've upgraded MacOS to 10.13 (17A365) and we're back in business as usual! :))

I never had any issues at all, it’s weird how it only effected some people and not others. I import to my Mac and then airdrop to my iPad Pro to do my editing (cause it’s soooo much easier for me with the pencil). Never had an issue. I have noticed though that the Raw images in photos look a little blurry but when you open them in a true editing software (I use affinity) they are just fine.

Yes - the problem is fixed with Photos in the new Mac OS X 'High Sierra' (10.13). Thanks (eventually), Apple.
Yes finally the black DNGs are fixed. And all along I assumed the bug was in DJIs firmware. So, along with the DNG fix comes a whole world of glitches and bugs in High Sierra 10.13. All over my computer I'm experiencing a heap of crap that's so frustrating! Not just photo/video files related but elswhere as well. I sure hope the developers are working on SEVERAL fixes and I hope we all see a 10..13.1 or whatever very soon. Anyways cheers to you all and happy flying. Thanks for listening to my little rant lol. ✌

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead