DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Raw pictures ... black at iMac Photos or Preview

Nemessis

Reactions
Hello,
I tried this weekend the RAW photography at my Mavic and saw that under MacOS (Latest SW) Raw files are showd black. You can see the thubnail but when opening they show black. I used Apple Photo and Aperture. Same Outcome.
Anyone had the same or has any idea about to solve it?

Reactions: dex_
Same here: the Mac OS Preview tool just shows an all black image. Mine are fine once I open them in Lightroom, and the Finder's thumbnails are also fine. Only Preview shows the black image.

I've had this with both firmware versions .800 and .900 :-(.

Same problem here. The DNG of my Phantom 3 Advanced are fine, but with Mavic they are black. I think it up to Apple to release an uodate to the RAW camera database maybe.
Lightroom shows it just fine.

Yeah I think the RAW DNG the Mavic Pro produces must not be compatible. I had the same problem on my phone and laptop. Either black screen or wouldn't open.

Although I was Windows 10, I just downloaded the Adobe DNG view plugin and I could view them in Windows as if they were a JPEG or PNG etc.

Saved me having to open every image up in Adobe Lightroom just to view it.

Reactions: Dandesbo
At my iMac I can open it with ON1 Photo Raw ... but I need to open every picture one by one.

There is nothing you can update. Mac OS is at latest SW

Ahh I see, sorry I thought you were talking about the on1 software. My mac wont show previews for raw either I have to import them into lightroom. To get round it I shoot raw + jpeg.

I really don't believe this is a Mac OS issue. DNG is an open format. DJI just had to implement it properly.

Is everyone using Mac OS having this issue with RAW files, or just some of us?

Reactions: Alba Flyer and Noel
Was an issue for me. Depending on your image editor, some will and some won't be able to edit. I've been using Luminar a lot and fortunately that works fine. On the other hand I use Xee3 as my file viewer and it won't read RAW (although I suspect that may have been the case with any RAW file and may have been an issue prior to the FW .800 and .900).

I've had the same issue starting today. Since I got my Mavic several months ago I haven't had any problems with RAW, DNG or otherwise. I recently downloaded some sort of update I can't recall if it was firmware or not, but today when I started up my aircraft it said something along the lines of "update required some modules may be incompatible" or something like that, it was a swipe to update notification. I got homeand started processing my photos, they downloaded normally, showed a thumbnail, but when I double clicked it to work on it, it just shows black where the picture should be. I took and uploaded a RAW file from a canon T3i to make sure it wasn't my photos app, it wasn't. So in conclusion I think that whatever firmware update they sent out jacked something up. JPG files still work, but they don't provide the same level of options I need when editing.

Update: I tried to downgrade the firmware on both the aircraft and controller, using the assistant software. No luck, DNG files still show up as black.

Last edited:
I'm on a Mac as well and I am experiencing the black-DNG issue. They open fine in Capture One -- I happen to be running the latest release of Capture One so you can create a library (similar to Lightroom) and import everything. However, I like to use Apple's Photos to share images across my devices and the black-DNG is appearing throughout the entire ecosystem (iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad). Not a huge deal as I am shooting RAW+JPG, but it is certainly a nuisance.

An additional observation... the Mavic's DNGs look just fine in Apple's Photos app on my Mac... where the actual DNG resides. However, Apple does not keep the actual DNG on your other devices... it creates a "high quality" JPG as a placeholder. It would seem that something is wrong with the way Apple is generating that "high quality" JPG from the DNG (or DJI's implementation of the DNG is flawed making it impossible for Apple to work with)??? Just speculation, but I find it odd that the DNGs look good at the source, but are black on every other device.

I'm having the same issue. I'd really like to shoot RAW but Apple Photos shows them as a black image. The same DNG files load perfectly fine in Photoshop.

The problem exists even with the most recent version of MacOS Sierra (10.12.6), and Photos version 2.0.

I've heard that "Photos" is getting a major upgrade in the next major version of MacOS ("High Sierra"), coming later this year. Let's hope it gets fixed then (of not before).

The problem exists even with the most recent version of MacOS Sierra (10.12.6), and Photos version 2.0.

I've heard that "Photos" is getting a major upgrade in the next major version of MacOS ("High Sierra"), coming later this year. Let's hope it gets fixed then (of not before).

Don't think it's a Mac issue - more a mavic firmware issue. Doing my head in !! Just got my second replacement today and still the same after sending the last one back with an identical problem! WTF DJI !!

An additional observation... the Mavic's DNGs look just fine in Apple's Photos app on my Mac... where the actual DNG resides. However, Apple does not keep the actual DNG on your other devices... it creates a "high quality" JPG as a placeholder. It would seem that something is wrong with the way Apple is generating that "high quality" JPG from the DNG (or DJI's implementation of the DNG is flawed making it impossible for Apple to work with)??? Just speculation, but I find it odd that the DNGs look good at the source, but are black on every other device.

Hi finlayson, did you get to the bottom of this issue? cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair