DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC charging the BT300 controller...

Steady Eddie

Reactions
Does anyone find this to be a problem with the Moveio BT300?

In the iOS version of GO4 there is an option to prevent this but it seems not with GO4 for Android Devices. At least not the BT300.

I find that my RC battery will run down to as low as 15% after my Mavic Pro has gone through 3 batteries. Bummer, as I can’t get to use my 4th battery in a flying session.

Unless you are aware of this, you could end up with a dangerously low RC battery in mid flight. Not a happy situation.

Last edited:
This has always been the case for DJI RCs connected to Androids.

The reason is that USB specs state the host (RC in this case) must be able to provide at least 500mA to the peripheral (Android device in this case) and the USB circuits typically used in the Android devices want to see power before they'll activate data. Since power is there, Androids assume charging from the host. iOS has an API to let apps turn off charging, but Google never provided this capability to apps. Some manufacturers added a utility to allow disabling charging but I suppose Epson didn't incorporate it.

Assume your connecting to the BT-300 by the bottom usb port ?

Have you tried the powerbank hooked up to he RC via the side micro-A usb port, which potentially recharges the RC while the RC charges the BT-300

After 3 batteries are you getting any overheating issues with the BT-300 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scubadiver1944

Have you tried the powerbank hooked up to he RC via the side micro-A usb port, which potentially recharges the RC while the RC charges the BT-300

That's what I do!

I’m going to try a power bank, and yes I have had GO4 crashes in the hot summer months here which I attribute to BT300 overheating. I always use the lower USB port on the RC to connect to the BT300.
Where do you keep the power bank when flying? In a pocket with a long cable?

This has always been the case for DJI RCs connected to Androids.

The reason is that USB specs state the host (RC in this case) must be able to provide at least 500mA to the peripheral (Android device in this case) and the USB circuits typically used in the Android devices want to see power before they'll activate data. Since power is there, Androids assume charging from the host. iOS has an API to let apps turn off charging, but Google never provided this capability to apps. Some manufacturers added a utility to allow disabling charging but I suppose Epson didn't incorporate it.
Option I'm using is 27 Ohm resistor, soldered parallel on red wire in you OTG cable. It lowers charging drastically without cutting data transfer. I followed instructions from Moverio forum.

I answered the same issue regarding an android tablet draining power from an RC in a query last week. Place the power bank in a jacket or shirt pocket, making sure said pocket has a system to hold the power bank in place e.g. a zip, velcro or button. When one bends down to attend to a drone on a landing pad to initiate turning on or off the battery or to pick the uav up or put it down, then to have the power bank fall out of one's pocket could damage the cable, the power bank or both. Sufficiently long cable between the power bank and the RC is required.
I’m going to try a power bank, and yes I have had GO4 crashes in the hot summer months here which I attribute to BT300 overheating. I always use the lower USB port on the RC to connect to the BT300.
Where do you keep the power bank when flying? In a pocket with a long cable?

I added a 10000mAH power bank as below. After 4 airborne batteries, the RC remained at 100% battery while the BT300 got down to 61% and the power bank was down to about 75%.

Makes me think that the RC is supplying very little charging current to the BT300 in this setup, if anything at all. (MTP mode?).

Not a single glitch in all that time on a 15 degC day. Hotter summer days have often been a problem for me.

90B49548-39F0-4BFF-BEC8-886EF205F31B.jpegD1249813-B532-4776-9BED-484903A03839.jpeg

Last edited:
I added a 10000mAH power bank as below. After 4 airborne batteries, the RC remained at 100% battery while the BT300 got down to 61% and the power bank was down to about 75%.

Makes me think that the RC is supplying very little charging current to the BT300 in this setup, if anything at all. (MTP mode?).

Not a single glitch in all that time on a 15 degC day. Hotter summer days have often been a problem for me.

View attachment 111071View attachment 111072

It looks like it works then ?

There you go! I like your customised set-up, very nice. And with enough juice left in your power bank to top up your BT-300 "puck" as well after a long session flying. Well done.

View attachment 111071View attachment 111072

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31