DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC2 - HDMI Output for Large TV\Monitor

So, I'm looking on Amazon and I see 2 options for the Anker 8K@60Hz &4K@144Hz adapter. One is $28 and one is $19. They seem the same. What am I missing?

The $29 one does 8K but also 4K@144Hz. That means it can supply frame rates up to 144FPS in 4K.

I'm not sure anyone needs that, as most are shooting in 4K 30FPS, and in such a case, the 4K@60Hz should be plenty.

I went with the 4K@144Hz thinking I'd get a smoother Air 3 slow motion video at 4K 100FPS. The proof of this remains to be seen. I'll try it today in the backyard. I should be out there in a couple of hours to test this.

EDIT: The Anker 518 model, should be the same, regardless of price.

Reactions: Krrr
Had a moment to test the HDMI output on the RC 2, outdoors today. Also tested a 65" older model LCD TV, indoors (VLOS was only broken momentarily, when indoors, drone was directly over head and did not move from property).

I tested some old garage monitors that had been out there for years. I wanted to see how inexpensively one could get away with doing this. I also have power usage on my mind when using the external display, as I intend to find a bright and cheap monitor, that has DC input on the back, and use a power bank to feed it. I'll be making a sun hood for the display, for the field.

The early testing went extremely well, the FPS from the RC 2 HDMI out is silky smooth on every display I've tried now, even the cheapest monitor, which you can see in the video. Youtube may not give the same fluidity of motion and FPS that I was seeing out there in person, set the video to HD if it doesn't default to it.

Summary: HDMI out is completely solid in my early testing, rock solid frame rates and performance. I will be using this to supplement my VLOS in the field. I am very thankful to DJI for including this amazing feature in their product, and I won't use it in a reckless or unobservant manner, and spoil this for everyone else, somehow in the future.

I love it!

Had a moment to test the HDMI output on the RC 2, outdoors today. Also tested a 65" older model LCD TV, indoors (VLOS was only broken momentarily, when indoors, drone was directly over head and did not move from property).

I tested some old garage monitors that had been out there for years. I wanted to see how inexpensively one could get away with doing this. I also have power usage on my mind when using the external display, as I intend to find a bright and cheap monitor, that has DC input on the back, and use a power bank to feed it. I'll be making a sun hood for the display, for the field.

The early testing went extremely well, the FPS from the RC 2 HDMI out is silky smooth on every display I've tried now, even the cheapest monitor, which you can see in the video. Youtube may not give the same fluidity of motion and FPS that I was seeing out there in person, set the video to HD if it doesn't default to it.

Summary: HDMI out is completely solid in my early testing, rock solid frame rates and performance. I will be using this to supplement my VLOS in the field. I am very thankful to DJI for including this amazing feature in their product, and I won't use it in a reckless or unobservant manner, and spoil this for everyone else, somehow in the future.

I love it!
Thank you for all the info. I got the cables and now my Tripletek 8 works with the RC2. Waiting for RCN2 from Ebay. Any preference in a 20"+ monitor? And could you expand to see if you could send HDMI signals thru the air to some remote receiver (say in your house). Thank again, this is great.

Reactions: RareAir
You're very welcome, also looking forward to seeing the results you get with your experiments.

I'm currently on the lookout for a monitor that is at least 20"+, the DC power input would be best for supplying power from a backup, and wouldn't require an AC inverter. I'll definitely follow up in here with what I found. I need to get this monitor before a car club trip on next Friday, so I can get some footage of us all.

That's a very interesting point you bring up, HDMI out over wireless. That would be great for a remote monitoring station, or for others to enjoy also. I will find out if this is possible, and if it's not too expensive, I'll definitely test it out.

Now I'm wondering if an HDMI powered hub, could supply more than one HDMI screen output at a time, they'd all be a mirror, or the same picture on each display. I'll test that soon as well.

You're very welcome, also looking forward to seeing the results you get with your experiments.

I'm currently on the lookout for a monitor that is at least 20"+, the DC power input would be best for supplying power from a backup, and wouldn't require an AC inverter. I'll definitely follow up in here with what I found. I need to get this monitor before a car club trip on next Friday, so I can get some footage of us all.

That's a very interesting point you bring up, HDMI out over wireless. That would be great for a remote monitoring station, or for others to enjoy also. I will find out if this is possible, and if it's not too expensive, I'll definitely test it out.

Now I'm wondering if an HDMI powered hub, could supply more than one HDMI screen output at a time, they'd all be a mirror, or the same picture on each display. I'll test that soon as well.
Just a quick look on Amazon found this. Look for 12 vdc RV tvs.

Reactions: BigAl07 and RareAir
After looking at what's currently available from Amazon, atm, I'm thinking about trying this one:

MAGICRAVEN 4K Portable Monitor, 16" 3840x2400 IPS Laptop Monitor, 1500:1, 400 Nits Screen USB C HDMI Computer Gaming Display with Speakers & Smart Cover, Travel Monitor for PC

The 16", 4K res, and 400 nits brightness, @60 FPS, weighing 1.8lbs, and 0.4 thickness, might be ideal. $50 off coupon, $200.

I would love to have a larger than 16" monitor, but I really don't want to wrestle a large monitor in and out every time.

I do have an Optima Yellow Top deep-cell battery in my Bus, so I may also be looking at the new AC inverters, and using a regular monitor instead.

Tough choice.

The RC2 HDMI out option works so well, that I have too many options to choose from at this point. A great problem to have, not complaining here.

Thinking about this for far too long already, I've come to the conclusion that a battery bank would be more useful to me in other areas of life, also, rather than buying the portable 16" screen for $200, or another AC inverter that may kill a cell in my battery (like other cheap ones in the past).

Thinking either the Jackery 300, or the Anker 521 power banks, to plug a PC monitor into directly, for HDMI out, and to charge batteries in the field. I could then charge either of those power banks from my deep-cell, with much less risk overall. A power outage would also make this useful. Curious to see how well it would work for a 5W guitar tube amp, in a remote location.

I'll give it another couple of hours, and then decide which hole to throw the next $200 down :).

The nice house/backyard from the second video, isn't mine, I'm in the condo shown in the first video, with limited space here. I need to take it easy on the spending, or sell something to fund all of this. I already have the 4K HDMI hub for multi screens to test with, and those two old PC monitors. I'll make a video with that multi-monitor setup inside the garage and shielded from outdoor sun, so we can tell how well that could work, if properly covered from the sun.

Might not be until the middle of this coming week. Should have the power bank by then too, and will try to have some real-world battery life specs by then.

Please feel free to post your HDMI out results/video, and the components you used - in here. Would like to see how you make it work for you, too.

EDIT: Went with the Baseus 420W, has an $80 coupon atm.

Last edited:
Windswept Robert regularly does livestreams using all sorts of hardware with a Mini 2 and Mini 3. Usually 18:00 on Sundays. Very entertaining and time well spent, although some of you might need to switch subtitles/closed captions on. 🙂

Last edited:
His shirt makes me think HDGAF, the subtitles were very necessary, thanks for the warning :).

Got some mobile base station components today:
(1) 2 X 2 ft. foldable table, 27" tall
(1) Basesus 420W Power Station - currently charging - will act as a monitor riser too
(1) Cheap monitor - this one is a stand-in for the permanent choice, when realized
(3) 24"x12" ABS plastic sheets, for making a three-sided light hood
XR3D5oa.jpg

Also need to make skylight window shades with the ABS plastic sheets, that can fit in the recessed window ports:
r4cQ3Qg.jpg

it's bright in there:
Ods4ljm.jpg

Will do the multi-mirrored-monitors with a 4K hub, in the sun-free garage, tomorrow.

EDIT: According to the Baseus 420W, this 20" 1600x900 1080p monitor uses 22-23W, and if I use only that monitor and nothing else, I'd get 10-11 hours of external display time.

nJSj1pq.jpg

After an hour of the laptop on AC power, and the monitor the only thing plugged in to the Baseus, it shows 90% battery life left, with 10 hours more of continued use, left. This just made selecting a monitor much easier.

BLAaeCl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
I started the 20" monitor running on the Baseus 420W, at 4:50pm, it's now 11:15pm, and it still says it has 4.6 hours of battery left.

I absolutely believe I can get 10-11 hours of external display with this.
lkH4SrP.jpg

I had heard that the most resolution you could get from HDMI out, might be 1080p, no, the HDMI output on the RC2 is true 4K!

My monitor only does 3840 x 1600 60Hz, true 4K is 3840 x 2160 60Hz, and I believe the RC2 is easily capable of that.
rYQCHla.jpg

WARNING!: If you unplug the RC2 HDMI output cable from your external monitor, you will lose contact with your Air 3 for about 30 seconds while the RC2 reboots the DJI Fly App - white screen; if you're in the air it will begin to RTH. Scared me good losing control for 30 seconds, I wasn't in a good spot for that to happen at the time.

Knowing the HDMI out monitor can be a full 4K, makes the monitor selection tougher for this purpose.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Krrr
Just ordered the $19 one. I'll report back on its operation.
do not order this one as it's NOT USB C to HDMI, it's USB C to "8K Display Port". Duh. Totally missed that. It does have that "518" in the name but it will not work with HDMI obviously.

I looked at the adapters you posted, and I didn't pick up on the Display Port either. I wonder if that would still work. It is possible.

Do you have a monitor that has DP?

I looked at the adapters you posted, and I didn't pick up on the Display Port either. I wonder if that would still work. It is possible.

Do you have a monitor that has DP?
I don't and it is not my intention to use a "traditional" TV to monitor but rather a battery-powered 7" Atomos Shogun field monitor for a client / art director to hand hold so they can see what I'm capturing without looking over my shoulder. It's HDMI-in (and SDI) so I've already ordered the $28 HDMI adapter and returned the $19 adapter. Love your VW set up by the way! Epic!

Reactions: RareAir
Glad to hear you got it sorted out, and also looking forward to seeing your setup, when you get it all together.

EDIT: Thanks for the VW Bus appreciation, and kind words! I've had that Bus since 3 days after my 17th Birthday, and I just turned 51! Had it for twice my lifespan now.

Last edited:
Got a VESA gas arm for the monitor, the folding table is supposed to hold quite a bit of weight, so we'll see tomorrow when the monitor arrives, how sturdy and balanced this will all be.

Nkl6n9M.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB