DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC2 - HDMI Output for Large TV\Monitor

RareAir

Reactions
Reactions: James in the Desert
Maybe the username DJI Support on Reddit, isn't actually 'official', that's a good point.

I'll report back if this is true, and post proof - if applicable.

Skeptical doesn't mean unbelieving.

I'd just have a lot more confidence if there were YT reviews from a bunch of different people, it was stated by DJI support on the DJI forum, etc.

I did see another thread about this where TRIPLETEK acknowledged this which is good enough for me 👍 I trust those guys.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The DJI Support user seemed to put a knowledgeable sounding disclaimer on the USB-c to HDMI out, for use with different displays/types.

For $18, I'll take my chances and report back on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Skeptical doesn't mean unbelieving.

I'd just have a lot more confidence if there were YT reviews from a bunch of different people, it was stated by DJI support on the DJI forum, etc.

I did see another thread about this where TRIPLETEK acknowledged this which is good enough for me 👍 I trust those guys.
For those that haven't found the other thread yet, I just found it here:

Last edited:
The RC2 hasn't been out that long, and it only works with the Air 3 at this time. This is probably why the HDMI out hasn't been tested as much so far.

I did see the tablet thread, but made an RC2 HDMI Output General thread, for TV\Monitor\Projector viewing - any large display really.

I want to film in 4K 60FPS, so I got the 4K@60Hz USB-c to HDMI adapter, hoping to supply enough FPS in real-time to a PC monitor.

I just saw that DJI Support told Reddit that the RC2 supports HDMI Output, only:

Just purchased an Anker 4K @60Hz, USB-c to HDMI. Hoping to use a larger monitor with the RC2.

Anyone here tried this yet, personally?

Here's video of a user with his RC2 connected to a monitor:
Wow! this would be awesome as it's the main reason I hated giving up the RC Pro! Please confirm! Or is it already?

I haven't received my USB-C to HDMI adapter yet, it will be here tomorrow.

I actually bought (2) Anker HDMI adapters to try, the first is the $15 4K@60Hz. Then I saw Anker also sells the $28 8k@60Hz and 4K@144Hz. I want to have 0 frame loss, or stuttering if at all possible, so I even bought the HDMI cable rated at 4K@120Hz. This should provide for the 4K 100 FPS slow motion mode as well. I'm looking for the best experience possible with HDMI out.

Last edited:
I haven't received my USB-C to HDMI adapter yet, it will be here tomorrow.

I actually bought (2) Anker HDMI adapters to try, the first is the $15 4K@60Hz. Then I saw Anker also sells the $28 8k@60Hz and 4K@144Hz. I want to have 0 frame loss, or stuttering if at all possible, so I even bought the HDMI cable rated at 4K@120Hz. This should provide for the 4K 100 FPS slow motion mode as well. I'm looking for the best experience possible with HDMI out.

Please let us know how each one performs.

Thanks.

I will be entirely honest about how these adapters perform with the RC2. I have nothing to sell, or gain, I just want to know firsthand what the full capabilities are.

I'll be testing the adapters with the following firmware/software versions:
m32qFbe.jpg

Great video, I had seen a few more of the Air 3 videos he did. The video you posted confirms the HDMI output works, and is where the Reddit comment I posted was from originally, nice find! I would've loved to see some actual flight on his monitor.

The video also brought up another interesting feature of the RC2: when he swiped the screen up, there was a video output screen with the current display specs, I'm guessing it said 1 FPS because he was at the Home screen, without the Air 3 connected.

I would Really love it if the FPS rate could be shown in-flight, on the HDMI Output screen - in a corner somewhere, so that the frame rate could be monitored and verified.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The adapters and cable got here:
aD0oKcz.jpg

Going to unpack these, hook up my PC monitor to the RC2, and fly the Air 3, at night - indoors o_O. DJI Care Refresh - activate!

Last time I flew indoors, it was a Blade 400, and the tail-rotor bearing seized mid-air (that was 15 years ago!??).

Will get this footage up in a couple of hours, stay tuned.

Reactions: gcopter1
I used the Anker 8K@60Hz & 4K@144Hz adapter (price went from $29 to $49 somehow), along with the 4K@120Hz cable, to make the following demo:

The obstacle avoidance system will not work indoors, even with the lights fairly bright in here. I have a vaulted ceiling in the room I plan to fly in, but flying indoors is going to require some more prep in here first. Will do that tomorrow to see if the obstacle avoidance will work indoors with day light.

So far, I can say that when I move in front of the Air 3's camera, the FPS is incredibly smooth on the HDMI out source. It has so far exceeded my expectations. I really think I'm getting the full FPS atm.

I plan ultimately to put a large monitor in my VW Bus which has a deep cell battery in it, so I can have a mobile base station to charge and fly from.

But before all that, I'll be testing out flying with a monitor in the backyard in the next couple of days, so we can really test the FPS, and quality possible. More to come.

The obstacle avoidance does work indoors, in enough day light. I was able to fly around in here, the sensor noise was non-stop flashing red, but the Air 3 is easy to fly inside.

I'll only be flying outdoors from now on, backyard monitor test will be tomorrow.

I used the Anker 8K@60Hz & 4K@144Hz adapter (price went from $29 to $49 somehow), along with the 4K@120Hz cable, to make the following demo:

The obstacle avoidance system will not work indoors, even with the lights fairly bright in here. I have a vaulted ceiling in the room I plan to fly in, but flying indoors is going to require some more prep in here first. Will do that tomorrow to see if the obstacle avoidance will work indoors with day light.

So far, I can say that when I move in front of the Air 3's camera, the FPS is incredibly smooth on the HDMI out source. It has so far exceeded my expectations. I really think I'm getting the full FPS atm.

I plan ultimately to put a large monitor in my VW Bus which has a deep cell battery in it, so I can have a mobile base station to charge and fly from.

But before all that, I'll be testing out flying with a monitor in the backyard in the next couple of days, so we can really test the FPS, and quality possible. More to come.
excellent!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne