DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC2 - HDMI Output for Large TV\Monitor

Got a VESA gas arm for the monitor, the folding table is supposed to hold quite a bit of weight, so we'll see tomorrow when the monitor arrives, how sturdy and balanced this will all be.

Nkl6n9M.jpg
Got a link to your folding table?

Reactions: RareAir
Got my monitor today.

Rh5oUQ1.jpg

Thought that the gas arm might need some more surface area to be sturdy and stable, so I added this metal plate with neoprene cushion:
1vuj9f2.jpg

qH5QAvN.jpg

The AOC had a quick release for the stand, but if I'm going to move this in and out, I needed a quick release for the gas arm:
QTzeI1s.jpg

The screws that came with the quick release were too long, they wouldn't hold the bracket on. Luckily I have an M4 screw/washer kit that had the correct length:
AYeZcqN.jpg

Got the quick release bracket on the monitor side:
hwPJUaJ.jpg

Had to use the extensions, used lock washers too from the M4 kit:
78p1U0o.jpg

Gas arm quick release bracket:
KOCKW40.jpg

Mobile base station completed:
xEydxH4.jpg

The new AOC 27" 4K 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz (60 FPS) monitor, uses the same amount of power that the 20" 1600 x 900 1080p monitor did, 22-24W. That was already tested to be 10-11 hours, of just external display time.
woATOTm.jpg

Though I work from home (IT Admin), that just means I can't get away from work, I live at work.

I'll go over to the good fly spot tomorrow and do the multi monitor test. The question I have about that is can I mix and match monitor resolutions with a powered 4K HDMI hub, from the RC2 out? Or can I use a good monitor, and a bad one at the same time?

EDIT: This is what will need to be carried when transporting, this is everything:
gSpcjcU.jpg

Bought a used/returned Gator bag from Amazon for about half the cost of new, hoping to fit the screen, the arm, and some other small stuff in this bag.
51RwSEZ17dL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

61VoBIc9moL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

The table and arm both exceeded my expectations, the monitor can be articulated in some of the craziest positions, and still be perfectly stable and balanced.

This is at chest height, standing.
S7MrHdZ.jpg

eGbcP7h.jpg

Put together the light hood:
yFUTeSb.jpg

tneaEly.jpg

EB5v5da.jpg

B8Fozm9.jpg

Ready to test for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Here's my set up. It's the $28 Anker 518 USB-C to 8k HDMI into my Atomos field monitor. My goal is to have a portable monitor for an art director to be able to see what I'm capturing without having to look over my shoulder. Better than this would to be able to go into an iPad. I realize there is another tablet brand this will work with but would need it to work with iOS. If anyone knows how to work this with an iPad, please LMK.

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 8
Aluminum is great because it won't throw a compass error!
I wasn't even thinking about that, that's a great point!

Here's my set up. It's the $28 Anker 518 USB-C to 8k HDMI into my Atomos field monitor. My goal is to have a portable monitor for an art director to be able to see what I'm capturing without having to look over my shoulder. Better than this would to be able to go into an iPad. I realize there is another tablet brand this will work with but would need it to work with iOS. If anyone knows how to work this with an iPad, please LMK.

Looks pro, nicely done!

In the next hour I'm leaving here to go test things with the multi-monitor. I have a VW cruise this Friday, or tomorrow, so I need to get things ready. I had wanted to have the Air 3 follow us up and down Mt. Diablo, but if Active Track loses site, and leaves it hovering up there, I can't easily pull over, or turn around and get it. Might just do some Quickshots at the summit, but would love to get the parade of old VW's in procession. Much to test, and not much time left.

298u4eg.jpg

So glad the OP posted this.

It looks like now, I shall be able to connect the RC to gogles with an HDMI input...

So glad the OP posted this.

It looks like now, I shall be able to connect the RC to gogles with an HDMI input...

You have to keep us updated on how that works for you, I've been looking at those little Cinewhoop drones, thinking how much fun that would be to have the goggles on for that, whipping around at high speeds.

Just got back from the testing. The bad news, the RC2/ 4K hub will not mix match monitor resolutions, I didn't have (2) 3840 x 2160 monitors to test at the same time, but I do believe if i had (2) 3840 x 2160 monitors, they would work as a mirror. The other 1600 x 900 monitor would go black, or the 3840 x 2160 would go black and the other would work, not both.

The light box is so much better than nothing at all, but direct sunlight is not good, even with the shades:

9ZfSeh0.jpg

R81KSCS.jpg

But in the Bus:
LOj6tGi.jpg

NONGxla.jpg

It's perfect, so good!
Y2HOAqP.jpg

Extremely happy how this turned out. I flew for about an hour like you see in the last picture, it was incredible!

I'll get some good video and pictures with this setup tomorrow with the VW's, hopefully, and report back.

Last edited:
Here's the results of yesterday. I'm using DaVinci Resolve 18.6, the free version, to edit. First video with this particular software, stilll need more practice.

The Canadian wildfire smoke has been filling the Bay Area for a few days now, the visibility up on Mount Diablo was fairly poor. Didn't get the scenic shots I was after, unfortunately, but we still had fun.

The video is also not that interesting because the RC2 would not select the 24mm camera, it was stuck in 70mm the entire time, and not sure why yet. I will put the 24mm/70mm camera selection on the C2 button, for the future. That was disappointing, in the moment.

When the smoke finally clears up there, I'm looking forward to flying the canyons around the mountain, some of those areas are inaccessible by any other manner than a drone.

Here's the results of yesterday. I'm using DaVinci Resolve 18.6, the free version, to edit. First video with this particular software, stilll need more practice.

The Canadian wildfire smoke has been filling the Bay Area for a few days now, the visibility up on Mount Diablo was fairly poor. Didn't get the scenic shots I was after, unfortunately, but we still had fun.

The video is also not that interesting because the RC2 would not select the 24mm camera, it was stuck in 70mm the entire time, and not sure why yet. I will put the 24mm/70mm camera selection on the C2 button, for the future. That was disappointing, in the moment.

When the smoke finally clears up there, I'm looking forward to flying the canyons around the mountain, some of those areas are inaccessible by any other manner than a drone.
Cool collection of classic VW vans, Karmann Ghias, and 3 Beetles!

I liked the way you used the large monitor mount to stabilize the aluminum table across the fold in the middle of the table top. From my observation, that fold in the middle seems to be the weakest point of the table. The extra weight on top also adds stability to the lightweight table. Good setup!

Thanks @GadgetGuy! That table works well and is very sturdy and stable in that role, but I tried to drive up the mountain with the table already setup, with just the gas arm on it, it fell over so many times on the tight and twisty roads up there. Got hit on the head with that arm once on a hard braking too. Thought I was saving time, but should've just set that all up at the top, and broke it all down before the twisty roads. Good thing the monitor wasn't attached.

I'm still getting used to the concept of this being more about the filming, than the flying.

I came from collective pitch RC heli's, long ago, and that's more about flying like a madman, on purpose. I wanted to be Alan Szabo Jr. at one point (0 chance of that).

Flying begins at 0:49

EDIT: The Gator bag made it today, was supposed to be here the 21st, was difficult without it up there. It was an Amazon return/blemish for nearly half the cost of new. I can't find anything wrong with it.
cJBXG9O.jpg

Everything that needs to go in:
YN9VKZV.jpg

ZI5OeYr.jpg

uCTi0HK.jpg

AnXgMPC.jpg

Wish it had a double-zipper on the side pocket, but this will work:
qgdT1kz.jpg

Can put things inside the little table too, ask Rob Schneider about that. For the moment I have backup glasses, lens wipes and MF cloth.
imsXeng.jpg

Everything that's needed:
GvnkMUe.jpg

Tidy pile:
RDQIE7I.jpg

The Gator bag filled with all you see, weighs 26.2 lbs.
iBFMpKp.jpg

I haven't traveled with the Gator bag yet, but so far I can say that it has plenty of room for a 27"-32" display, the padding is exactly the right amount. There are handles and loops everywhere you need them to be, very intuitive design.

Last edited:
Thanks @GadgetGuy! That table works well and is very sturdy and stable in that role, but I tried to drive up the mountain with the table already setup, with just the gas arm on it, it fell over so many times on the tight and twisty roads up there. Got hit on the head with that arm once on a hard braking too. Thought I was saving time, but should've just set that all up at the top, and broke it all down before the twisty roads. Good thing the monitor wasn't attached.

It really is unstable without some weight on it, but that also makes it top heavy in turns, and it must be like a flying missile on twisty roads, flipping over, especially with that heavy arm on top! If you had it assembled and stored upside down without the arm, that might help, but would still move and scratch the table top. Best indeed to assemble it onsite! Glad the monitor wasn't attached!

Hi. The ability to get hdmi out of the controller is awesome. Do you know if it’s possible to get a clean hdmi out to the monitor so you don’t see all the flight info, just the pictures? This would be great as it would be suitable for live production work. On the RC Pro you can set the clean output in transmission settings. Do you know if this is the same?

Reactions: jarobaina
Hello, this sounds very interesting. I'm considering upgrading my Air 2 and buying the new Mini 4 Pro with the RC2. My intention is to use the USB-c / HDMI output for live broadcasts but I see that the utility it has is a clone of the controller screen and not a clean video output. Is there any configuration to have the image completely clean?

It really is unstable without some weight on it, but that also makes it top heavy in turns, and it must be like a flying missile on twisty roads, flipping over, especially with that heavy arm on top! If you had it assembled and stored upside down without the arm, that might help, but would still move and scratch the table top. Best indeed to assemble it onsite! Glad the monitor wasn't attached!

I might try to find a way to anchor the table to the Bus wall, or the floor, so I can drive with it setup, would save a lot of time. Also going to need some better window shades in there still too.

Hi. The ability to get hdmi out of the controller is awesome. Do you know if it’s possible to get a clean hdmi out to the monitor so you don’t see all the flight info, just the pictures? This would be great as it would be suitable for live production work. On the RC Pro you can set the clean output in transmission settings. Do you know if this is the same?
You can fly in full 4K, and turn off a lot of the HUD or minimize it. If you use a huge monitor, you won't even know the HUD info is there on the borders.

The whole point of a large display is to be able to share the flight with others in real-time, and to have a huge screen to see all of the controls and warning.

I had perfect vision until I was 43, never needed anything extra to see even the smallest details. I just turned 51, and 2.0x reading glasses now. It happens to us all, eventually.

Perhaps someday the RC2 will have an HDMI output Clean Mode, that shows only what the footage will be. I don't see any Clean Transmission setting.

Hello, this sounds very interesting. I'm considering upgrading my Air 2 and buying the new Mini 4 Pro with the RC2. My intention is to use the USB-c / HDMI output for live broadcasts but I see that the utility it has is a clone of the controller screen and not a clean video output. Is there any configuration to have the image completely clean?

If you fly perfectly, and never mess up, or are showing others how to fly, that could be useful. But most people would rather see a finished product, or a planned and well executed flight video.

EDIT: In Transmission, I see this:
WisrjQI.jpg

This might work for you guys, if and until they add the Clean Tx mode:

Last edited:
I might try to find a way to anchor the table to the Bus wall, or the floor, so I can drive with it setup, would save a lot of time. Also going to need some better window shades in there still too.

You can fly in full 4K, and turn off a lot of the HUD or minimize it. If you use a huge monitor, you won't even know the HUD info is there on the borders.

The whole point of a large display is to be able to share the flight with others in real-time, and to have a huge screen to see all of the controls and warning.

I had perfect vision until I was 43, never needed anything extra to see even the smallest details. I just turned 51, and 2.0x reading glasses now. It happens to us all, eventually.

Perhaps someday the RC2 will have an HDMI output Clean Mode, that shows only what the footage will be. I don't see any Clean Transmission setting.

Si vuelas perfectamente y nunca te equivocas, o les muestras a otros cómo volar, eso podría ser útil. Pero la mayoría de la gente preferiría ver un producto terminado o un vídeo de vuelo planificado y bien ejecutado.

EDITAR: En Transmisión, veo esto:
WisrjQI.jpg

Esto podría funcionar para ustedes, siempre y cuando agreguen el modo Clean Tx:
Es una opción pero realmente para transmisiones en vivo el rtmp solo se puede usar cuando no hay otra opción y no es necesario que la imagen coincida con otras cámaras en términos de tiempo. RTMP ha estado presente casi desde el principio con Go4 y posteriormente con Fly pero no es la mejor solución para retransmisiones en directo de nivel profesional si lo comparamos con una salida de vídeo dedicada. Seguiremos atentos a las novedades, gracias.

Hopefully they get you you guys what you're looking for.

I have nothing left to want from the HDMI out, personally, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: Krrr
I just tried this with my RC2 and my Xreal Air AR glasses. No joy.
The glasses are expecting USB-C DP video and it looks like the RC2 only outputs HDMI over USB-C from what I can see. Gutted.
Unless I’m missing something and I need to turn the output on or something.

I just tried this with my RC2 and my Xreal Air AR glasses. No joy.
The glasses are expecting USB-C DP video and it looks like the RC2 only outputs HDMI over USB-C from what I can see. Gutted.
Unless I’m missing something and I need to turn the output on or something.
Never mind. I’m an idiot. You have to have the glasses plugged in when you power on the RC2. Just plugging them in does nothing.
It’s awesome by the way. Massive 300” screen in front of my face.

Reactions: pinballwiz86
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks