DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Read before replacing Gimbal

Mad Mavic

Reactions
Replacing a damaged Gimbal is fairly straight forward. I picked one up on Amazon for $220 U.S.

One main thing to watch out for is when separating the upper cover of the drone in order to gain access to the Gimbal mounting screws, be mindful of the GPS wiring harness located in the rear section of the drone.

The rear section has to be separated first; continue along towards the front edge until the entire upper cover is detached. When the rear section is separated from the lower section enough, use something such as long nosed needle nose pliers, to unplug the GPS wiring harness plug.

My first experience ended in the red wire breaking lose form the solder connection as I failed to disconnect the plug. Instead I simply pulled up on the rear of the upper cover during separation, putting all the strain on the wiring harness, which finally unplugged. upon reassembly I got a GPS error, which is when I went back in to discover the broken wire.

Reactions: TKR_Bones
Here's a video that shows what you're describing:

Here's a video that shows what you're describing:

Thanks for the reply. This is the exact video I watched before disassembly and as you can see in her presentation, the plug was allowed to disconnect on its own by pulling up on the body. My finding is that this is definitely not the proper procedure due to the stress placed on the wires.

In my case, I'm guessing since the red wire was the one that broke, then it was perhaps shorter than the remaining conductors, thus took the brunt of the force to disconnect the wiring harness plug, Therefore some sort of tool is needed to reach in between the two halves of the drone to unplug connector.

The solder joints are covered by a white silicone type rubber coating; perhaps to add to the strength to the connections. Now that I've re-soldered the one wire back to the board, my concern is a disconnect in mid flight due to the quality of solder and the absence of silicone.

I made a short flight this morning without incident. Not that I feel all is working properly, i'm looking for a silicone or epoxy with dielectric properties to reestablish the added bond.

In summary, the more I work on, and learn about, the Mavic Pro, the more impressed I am with the technology.

happy flying

Thx! Fixing to make this repair on one of my Mavics.[/QUbroken
Thx! Fixing to make this repair on one of my Mavics.

Ended up with two broken wires instead of just the one, the two outer wires. in the event you do end up having to solder any of the wires I suggest only stripping back a minimum amount of insulation due to the cover plate being aluminum. I had a couple stripped back long enough to short to the aluminum plate so I've decided to just redo the entire harness. Unplugging with a tool is certainly the way to go.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851