Join Us Now

Real-world DSAR request in North Alabama - Bankhead Forest

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
Received this message ....

"My name is Brittany Burgess. I found your contact info on the Mavicpilot website while researching search and rescue in North Alabama.
There is currently a search and rescue underway for my dad, Sid Burgess, at Bankhead National Forest near Douglas Springs, AL. He has been missing for over 24 hours. I know this is a shot in the dark, but is there a possibility you could connect my family with any resources regarding drone technology assistance in this area of the state. Thank you kindly.
Brittany Burgess
205-447-8877"

We're on it. I've got Tim Ganey down there trying to get ahold of the incident commander. Tim & Pete don't have FLIR but will put their drones in the air at sunrise if he's still missing. I do have FLIR and will head down there tonight if I can get concrete info from the incident commander or his associates. If there are any pilots near this location with a thermal camera, please contact Brittany.

Asking any north Alabama pilots to come up on Zello on the "Drone Search & Rescue" channel. Tim got ahold of Winston Sheriff dispatch and told them we have a drone in Huntsville equipped with FLIR. I'm charging the batteries on the M2ED and awaiting a call from LE.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Brittany and updated her that we are putting 2 drones in the air at sunrise and are awaiting a call from the Winston Sheriff Dispatch to see if they want the FLIR drone from Huntsville tonight. She is boarding a plane in Oregon in 20 minutes to fly to Alabama to help with the search for her father. She was deeply appreciative for our efforts and kept thanking us and called us "angels". She put me in touch with her mother who was in tears on the phone and also called us "angels".

Plan is for Tim & Pete to still put 2 drones in the air at sunrise and I'm awaiting a call to see if LE wants my FLIR drone tonight. Geoff is further away in Jacksonville, AL - not sure if he's able, but if he can I'm sure they would appreciate another drone in the search. Bankhead National Forest is big.

Last edited:
Update - LE has called off the search for tonight so I'm not heading down there tonight with the FLIR. Gave Tim's phone # to the wife and told her he must have a request from LE to put the drones into the air tomorrow morning. She will put pressure on LE.

Reactions: Former Member
Update - LE has called off the search for tonight so I'm not heading down there tonight with the FLIR. Gave Tim's phone # to the wife and told her he must have a request from LE to put the drones into the air tomorrow morning. She will put pressure on LE.

How is SAR run in Alabama? Is it under local LE jurisdiction? Is there no centralized resource directory of teams and capabilities? How do they find/order resources?

Reactions: Former Member
I have a flight to CA this morning. But Tim and Pete are ready to put two drones up if requested this morning ..... and if the weather permits (it's raining in Huntsville right now.)

Update - Tim & Pete are at the Trailhead now, ready to launch and it looks like a break in the weather is coming. You can monitor Zello on the "Drone Search & Rescue" channel.

Last edited:
Just heard from Tim who is in contact with the Incident Commander. Forest Service will NOT allow search drones (or helicopters) to fly in/over the National Forest. Approval has to come out of Washington.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Update: IC contacted Tim and the Forest Service now says to go. Tim & Pete are changing locations and getting ready to launch. You can monitor in real-time on the Zello channel.

Last edited:
Just heard from Tim who is in contact with the Incident Commander. Forest Service will NOT allow search drones (or helicopters) to fly in/over the National Forest. Approval has to come out of Washington.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Update: IC contacted Tim and the Forest Service now says to go. Tim & Pete are changing locations and getting ready to launch. You can monitor in real-time on the Zello channel.

Right - that trail is in the Sipsey Wilderness. It just needs local USFS authorization - there is no requirement for them to call HQ. I'm surprised they don't have a standing arrangement. Difficult terrain for sUAS SAR though.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes. Difficult terrain and weather.

Update from Tim -

"We relocated to Thompson Trail Head. Initiated a search down stream from there until we could no longer maintain contact with the drones. We both flew out one battery and started on a second.

We have relocated to a higher elevation to continue the search. Right now we are sitting out a rain cloud. Hopefully we will get another window. While we wait we are charging batteries."

Random thought - is there cell phone coverage out there? And does he have an iPhone?
If both are "yes", have they tried "Find My iPhone"? It might narrow the area.

Pretty sure his family did that the first day.

Tim reports tough situation there for drones. Bad weather and tough terrain. Limited in what they can do.

If the search continues into tomorrow, we can add another pilot - Geoff Lyons - can be there at daybreak with his drone.

Last edited:
They have ceased drone ops for today. Rain is relentless although they did fly between showers. Drones were on the other side of the forest from ground search teams. Tim and his partner are reviewing the video from today to see if they missed anything. They will see what the weather does tomorrow. Very tough mission in demanding terrain.

Random thought - is there cell phone coverage out there? And does he have an iPhone?
If both are "yes", have they tried "Find My iPhone"? It might narrow the area.

They likely will have done much more than that - they will probably have AFRCC doing cell phone forensics with the service providers.

First day report from Tim....

“Hey Bob,

Wanted to give you some info you may want to share with Geoff. Once we searched a couple thousand feet from Thompson we got behind hills and ran out of signal.

We had to relocate to higher ground but then it was a mile flight in to pick up where we left off. At that point the creek was running kinda parallel to us. We continued out to about 1.5mi and was having to fly at 400ft to keep signal. The thin clouds were between us and the ground making it difficult to search. Even with our best efforts we didn't make it in to where he was last seen. There is no closer place to launch from unless you hike in on foot.

This has to be one of the most challenging missions one could imagine as far as DSAR. Thousands of acres of forest with no access roads. “

Reactions: flippit
Those are tough conditions and exactly what we face day in and day out. Unfortunately sUAS SAR is a lot tougher than we think it is from every aspect.

Good luck and PRAYERS for all involved. If I can help with questions etc don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid