DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real-world DSAR request in North Alabama - Bankhead Forest

LOL. Despite what people may think about the deep south, we don't go out on SAR armed to the teeth in Alabama. The guy in the photo was an LEO volunteer pilot.

I'm pretty sure I have an accurate picture of what it's like there - I've seen Deliverance.

LOL. Despite what people may think about the deep south, we don't go out on SAR armed to the teeth in Alabama. The guy in the photo was an LEO volunteer pilot.

That’s definitely OK, didn’t know the backstory on him.

I just know some of those with a pound of badges and an ounce of brains types, and they are the scary ones! I wouldn’t put it past some of them to accidentally shoot themselves in the foot and wouldn’t want to work in the dark with them. :)

That’s definitely OK, didn’t know the backstory on him.

I just know some of those with a pound of badges and an ounce of brains types, and they are the scary ones! I wouldn’t put it past some of them to accidentally shoot themselves in the foot and wouldn’t want to work in the dark with them. :)

No, he's a good guy. Did some SAR training with us with his drone. He was the first pilot on scene during the horrible weather, flying between breaks in the rain. He's golden.

Yes, the two way PLB’s that have texting are good. We also use APRS while on foot and as beacons in our vehicles, but that requires amateur radio licenses.
Some terminology clarification, since we're now talking SAR. A PLB, Personal Locator Beacon, as defined in US law, must send a distress signal through the Cospas-Sarsat system. InReach, SPOT and similar devices don't utilize the C-S system and are known generically as Satellite Emergency Notification Devices (SEND). Their two-way messaging is through either the Iridium or Globalstar satellite systems. The emergency alerts go a commercial service which then contacts emergency services.

Cospas-Sarsat doesn’t have two-way messaging capability. A return link message system, not a full two-way system, is in test and evaluation, which will utilize the C-S packages on Galileo satellites in the MEOSAR system.

ACR makes a beacon that sends the alert signal through Cospas-Sarsat and uses the Iridium system for two-way messaging. The device doesn’t meet all US and EU requirements for a SEND or PLB, so is currently only available to the US government (and friends?).

Ever since I didn’t do as much fieldwork as I used to, I switched from a SPOT to a basic and free PLB for kayaking and other recreational use, and use APRS ham radio and cell for the rest. Pretty good repeater coverage in the west, and I have a folding Yagi and a linear amp (legal with my license) to punch it if I need to.

Hmm, interesting thought, a Mavic could be used to put up a antenna with some height if needed.

Reactions: Pietros
I'm looking to get an Inreach Mini. Comments/advice on that model versus the Inreach SE?

The only difference is the larger InReach models (SE and Explorer) have bigger screens and can display maps. Personally I never even look at the device itself (I have the Explorer) - I do everything via the iOS app.

I have the Explorer and have the freedom plan, pay about 16 $ a month. Between all my "hobbies" of flying, motorcycle riding including dualsport into nowhere, I am alone and find this an indispensable tool. That and a 45.

If you get lost or injured, the 45 really seems like the ultimate last resort.

Just read this Incredible S.A.R. story and was fascinated by it. Glad he was found alive and well. I was shocked to find out that you can't fly a drone in Bankhead National Forrest? I was planning to go their and do some Video shoots with my Mavic Pro...... Guess I can drop that idea? I've read where some drone pilots got permission to fly in the Talladega National Forrest?
I applaud you and your S.A.R. team and your mission. Happy and Safe Flying!

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN