DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real-world DSAR request in North Alabama - Bankhead Forest

Great finish to this saga. I am glad he was found alive.
We have lots of work to do before the next emergency shows up.

Mani

Last edited:
yes.

outstanding job!

Great finish to this saga. I am glad he was found alive.
We have lots of work to do before the next emergency shows up.

Like starting a Go fund me drive to buy and strategically place FLIR drones in regions around the country so that they can be overnighted in a complete flight kit to certified SAR pilots that need them for a mission and who are signed up and responsible for them.

Last edited:
Whoa! That's thinking outside the box!

It would take a lot of coordination but
that is a great idea.

John

just reading this whole thing as the days went by to have a happy ending is just great. The family must be ecstatic

Was he found with a Drone?

No - ground search team found him. The drones were working the opposite side of the forest from the ground search teams. Very, very difficult terrain with no access roads and lousy weather the first couple of days.

DrummerTOM hiked his drone in 5 miles just to get to a suitable spot to launch. He was out of cell range when the guy was found and thus didn't get the word. He continued to fly and search all day until dark when he was back in cell range and got word the guy had been found that morning. Did he complain? No.

The family was so appreciative that they contacted me and asked for the phone numbers of the 4 pilots so they could personally express their gratitude and appreciation.

Attached is a couple of pics from one of the pilots showing how tough the terrain was.

Attachments

• IMG_7496.JPG
    IMG_7496.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7497.JPG
    IMG_7497.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: Kneebeard
No - ground search team found him. The drones were working the opposite side of the forest from the ground search teams. Very, very difficult terrain and lousy weather the first couple of days.

One pilot hiked his drone in 5 miles to get to a suitable spot to launch. He was out of cell range when the guy was found and thus didn't get the word. He continued to fly and search all day until at the end of they day when he was back in cell range and got word the guy had been found that morning.

Did he complain? No.

The family was so appreciative that they contacted me and asked for the phone numbers of the 4 pilots so they could personally express their gratitude and appreciation.

Just an observation on standard SAR protocols - no one should be out in the field without a reliable means of contact with the ICP. Whether that's radio (most common), satellite phone or satellite communicator doesn't matter, but it's worth noting that on any properly run search, resources will not be allowed into the field without comms.

Just an observation on standard SAR protocols - no one should be out in the field without a reliable means of contact with the ICP. Whether that's radio (most common), satellite phone or satellite communicator doesn't matter, but it's worth noting that on any properly run search, resources will not be allowed into the field without comms.

Agree. In this case, radios did not have the range with the difficult terrain and we didn't have sat phones. Once DSAR is 501c3, we'd like to raise $s for Iridium Emergency Responder sat phones that could be overnighted to certified pilots who would be responsible for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMann
Agree. In this case, radios did not have the range with the difficult terrain and we didn't have sat phones. Once DSAR is 501c3, we'd like to raise $s for Iridium Emergency Responder sat phones that could be overnighted to certified pilots who would be responsible for them.

There’s going to be a lot of admin related items to cover - with our teams out in California, SAR members are also required to have a reliable means of contact - either a sat phone or PLB with active two-way paging, and also,’unless they are on duty LEO’s, they are prohibited from carrying. In places like Alaska, backcountry personnel have to be certified to carry as well. I just mentioned this after seeing the photos of the SAR volunteers... I don’t think there’s a issue with them doing it in this case though since they were not really part of an official group, working directly with the public or with fire crews, etc., nor were they covered by an official liability and accident insurance policy... all things that a 501c or any organized official SAR group would have to address.

Last edited:

I rarely use the satellite phone any more - I've switched almost completely to InReach. Texting is just more reliable than voice over satellite. How were the ground teams communicating with ICP? In difficult conditions we either use repeaters or, if there are no fixed repeaters that cover the area and no useful terrain on which to put up a portable repeater then we put up a high bird as a radio relay. Comms is not a luxury - it should be one of the very first priorities for the Incident Command staff.

Reactions: tleedom and Pietros
I rarely use the satellite phone any more - I've switched almost completely to InReach. Texting is just more reliable than voice over satellite. How were the ground teams communicating with ICP? In difficult conditions we either use repeaters or, if there are no fixed repeaters that cover the area and no useful terrain on which to put up a portable repeater then we put up a high bird as a radio relay. Comms is not a luxury - it should be one of the very first priorities for the Incident Command staff.

Yes, the two way PLB’s that have texting are good. We also use APRS while on foot and as beacons in our vehicles, but that requires amateur radio licenses.

unless they are on duty LEO’s, they are prohibited from carrying. In places like Alaska, backcountry personnel have to be certified to carry as well. I just mentioned this after seeing the photos of the SAR volunteers...

Prohibited from carrying in CA on SAR? What happens if you encounter a bear or mountain lion in the boonies? Or someone up to no good? Guess you throw rocks at em .....

Alabama is an open carry state. A CCW is granted upon request provided the background check is clear. And the guy in the photo happened to be a volunteer LEO pilot.

Last edited:
Yes, the two way PLB’s that have texting are good. We also use APRS while on foot and as beacons in our vehicles, but that requires amateur radio licenses.

APRS is a fine option - but if the terrain precludes radio comms then amateur band is not going to work either. New Mexico has an extensive cross-linked network of amateur radio repeaters sitting on tall mountains, and so a large proportion of SAR volunteers have amateur licenses. I suspect that varies by state though.

Reactions: AMann
Prohibited from carrying in CA on SAR? What happens if you encounter a bear or mountain lion in the boonies? Or someone up to no good? Guess you throw rocks at em .....
Yup. Worked for several years doing spotted owl surveys for Forest Service. In that time, I’ve scared off a few black bears and a couple mountain lions that were too close that way. Got pretty good and grunting loudly and doing fake charges too!

Anyways- I edited my post above, it explains when and why official SAR groups don’t carry a little better. Legally, people can open carry in the National Forests here too, but it is not permitted if working as an official duty unless, as mentioned, certified or an LEO. There’s also often times where SAR groups work alongside or come into contact with convict fire crews, so that is another concern if someone is carrying without being authorized.

Last edited:

It's very unusual for SAR teams to have hazardous encounters with wildlife. In fact in the last 20 years of SAR in New Mexico I do not think that there has been a single reported instance, despite a thriving population of bears, mountain lions and venomous snakes. There have been a few encounters with unsavory people but it has never escalated to violence. Arming the SAR personnel is not the best solution to that anyway.

Reactions: BC Pete and Pietros
It's very unusual for SAR teams to have hazardous encounters with wildlife. In fact in the last 20 years of SAR in New Mexico I do not think that there has been a single reported instance, despite a thriving population of bears, mountain lions and venomous snakes. There have been a few encounters with unsavory people but it has never escalated to violence. Arming the SAR personnel is not the best solution to that anyway.

LOL. Despite what people may think about the deep south, we don't go out on SAR armed to the teeth in Alabama. The guy in the photo was an LEO volunteer pilot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329