DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real-world DSAR request in North Alabama - Bankhead Forest

Apparently there is concern about drones safely operating with helicopters even though there are no heli’s operating right now. Just spoke with the IC. He apologized but we are shut down. Apparently the state pissed off the Forest Service.

If anyone has a thermal camera he is pursuing night flight authorization. I’m in Los Angeles so can’t take the M2ED out there

Apparently there is concern about drones safely operating with helicopters even though there are no heli’s operating right now. Just spoke with the IC. He apologized but we are shut down. Apparently the state pissed off the Forest Service.

If anyone has a thermal camera he is pursuing night flight authorization. I’m in Los Angeles so can’t take the M2ED out there

But the only issue here is flying from designated wilderness (USFS jurisdiction) - rather than being in the air with other air traffic (IC jurisdiction). Those are unrelated.

Reactions: tleedom
Apparently the state pissed off the Forest Service.

That's a show stopper!! Hopefully something gets resolved quickly.

Who is talking to the IC and the Fed Agent?

But the only issue here is flying from designated wilderness (USFS jurisdiction) - rather than being in the air with other air traffic (IC jurisdiction). Those are unrelated.

Very true.

You and I both know that we can fly safely with a SAR helo in the area with coordination, communication, and experience. I've done it several times but it's a stressful and intense thing to do.

Reactions: tleedom and sar104
Very true.

You and I both know that we can fly safely with a SAR helo in the area with coordination, communication, and experience. I've done it several times but it's a stressful and intense thing to do.

Agreed, although we don't permit that in NM - the state helo pilots are not comfortable with it even though NG would likely be fine. But it's not a USFS call though - it's the IC's.

Reactions: tleedom
Agreed, although we don't permit that in NM - the state helo pilots are not comfortable with it even though NG would likely be fine. But it's not a USFS call though - it's the IC's.

Really? I guess we're lucky in that we've been coordinating with them for a long time so if the IC says someone from the state Emergency Services is flying sUAS in coordination they have no problem.

Regardless, like you said, if the IC says NO it's a big NO period. That's the end of the line.

Flash - he was found alive!!!!

AWESOME! Prayers answered!! Hope everyone in the field makes it home safe and injury free as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb