DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real world meaning of VLOS

It is hard to argue that the rule doesn’t make sense. It’s intent is to avoid accidents and injuries to other innocent people.

Not being able to detect and avoid objects approaching from both the left, right, on top and behind as well as the total lack of depth perception with the respect of the 2 objects has to increase the risk to other folks.

The only real argument that can be pursued is that this represents a very unlikely probability of happening.

Then the question becomes what level of risk is acceptable for injuring or killing an innocent person.

So technically all FPV drone pilots are flying totally illegal in the US and Canada since they have googles they can't see anything with their eyes?

Pretty much, but with FPV you technically need a spotter and would then go off of the spotter’s VLOS.

Reactions: Thomas B
So technically all FPV drone pilots are flying totally illegal in the US and Canada since they have googles they can't see anything with their eyes?
A visual observer is required, and that VO must maintain VLOS (unaided vision) at all times and be in a position where they can immediately communicate with the pilot.

A visual observer is required, and that VO must maintain VLOS (unaided vision) at all times and be in a position where they can immediately communicate with the pilot.
And communication means just talking, not someone on a distant radio, phone, etc.

Not necessarily. I have both the DJI goggles (VR) and the Epson BT-300 (AR), and agreed, with the goggles FPV violates our CARs.
The glasses however give both direct view and head-up FPV simultaneously; no violation.
In fact, the glasses give me a better flying experience than having to glance down at a tablet or phone for flight information

This VLOS thing is like oil treads on motorcycle forums. VLOS is a fallacy in most cases as most pilots are watching the screen not the drone and as in the OP 300 feet is about it unless like in 99% of the time there are buildings trees and other objects. It's a non-issue and duly ignored.

This VLOS thing is like oil treads on motorcycle forums. VLOS is a fallacy in most cases as most pilots are watching the screen not the drone and as in the OP 300 feet is about it unless like in 99% of the time there are buildings trees and other objects. It's a non-issue and duly ignored.
It is incredibly easy to lose track of the mm if you glance down at the screen even at close ranges.

Reactions: Bernie707
Under 250 gram low barrier rules were a gift. Wonder how long it will take before distance and immersed flying of them outside the regulations causes regulators to take away the under 250 gram freebie.
I believe that's what will be happening in Europe when the changes come in this year as it has a camera.

Under 250 gram low barrier rules were a gift. Wonder how long it will take before distance and immersed flying of them outside the regulations causes regulators to take away the under 250 gram freebie.
Shouldn’t be too long at the rate some pilots openly brag.

Simple answer is YES! And those pilots are what drive the restrictive rules. Remote ID may change, ease or expand this restriction, but don’t count it for 3 - 5 years.

From my experiences, FPV pilots flying with goggles are stunt and racing pilots.

I agree with your comment about this discussion being similar to oil threads on motorcycle forums as I know exactly what you mean having been a member of a couple of these. As the creator of this thread I was making the point that despite the serious limitations of VLOS most people who spend the money on a mavic with the technology they afford fly beyond the few hundred feet you can realistically see these things. All the subsequent posts either agree that is the case or point out the rules specify VLOS only. There’s really nothing new to add to this thread at this point.

I agree with your comment about this discussion being similar to oil threads on motorcycle forums as I know exactly what you mean having been a member of a couple of these. As the creator of this thread I was making the point that despite the serious limitations of VLOS most people who spend the money on a mavic with the technology they afford fly beyond the few hundred feet you can realistically see these things. All the subsequent posts either agree that is the case or point out the rules specify VLOS only. There’s really nothing new to add to this thread at this point.

Exactly right!

Just because we all went to Best Buy and bought similar toys doesn't make me answerable to you. It doesn't automatically make us compatriots, buddies, blood brothers, make us part of a "community" or anything else. I don't suddenly need to pay attention to your opinion or follow your advice. I especially don't have to care what you think, what you say or what you do. That's the part that always amuses me. The idea that we all are suddenly grouped together over a purchase... You rarely see that with any other toy or gadget.

Exactly right!

Just because we all went to Best Buy and bought similar toys doesn't make me answerable to you. It doesn't automatically make us compatriots, buddies, blood brothers, make us part of a "community" or anything else. I don't suddenly need to pay attention to your opinion or follow your advice. I especially don't have to care what you think, what you say or what you do. That's the part that always amuses me. The idea that we all are suddenly grouped together over a purchase... You rarely see that with any other toy or gadget.
If I felt that way, I would quickly quit this forum!

Exactly right!

I whole heartedly DISAGREE! It's human nature to "Congregate" over like/similar items. When someone buys a new product it very often creates a "bond" with others who own it and groups often form because of those bonds. You're not required to join those groups/forums etc but you can (and you DID) if you so wish. Take the following examples:

• SPYDER
  • Harley Davidson
  • Honda Gold Wing
  • Chevy SSR
  • Can-Am SPYDER
  • Polaris Slingshot

And joining this forum does indeed make you a part of "this community". It doesn't make you a popular member by default but you are indeed a "member of our community" as long as you like to be here or as long as you're allowed to be here. But that part of it is very much voluntary.

Now as long as you're here you are expected to be NICE and COURTEOUS to your fellow members of this forum regardless of anything else you decide to do here. We take "Being Nice" seriously and expect all of our members to act accordingly.

Exactly right!

Most people are just pointing out that you do need to pay attention to the law even if you are not concerned with paying attention to anyone else's opinion. Extreme cases of drone stupidity affect everyone else including those who want to enjoy the hobby, want to become better pilots and photographers and want to educate themselves and improve.

If I felt that way, I would quickly quit this forum!

Oh I can see that point of view as well. I've often helped other members with problems and have hopefully had good suggestions on occasion. However, again the idea that I'm "obligated" to other people because we own the same toy is silly to me. Obviously, this is just an opinion, I know that many of you want to be part of the collective. That's cool, my belief is that all viewpoints are valid for that individual. You have every right to your opinion from my perspective.

I allways fly VLOS! All the fly-bys of trees and moutains I recorded, I have accomplished while looking at the quad. When filming a circle or a spiral around an old chimney, I just look at the quad and the chimney and judge the position perfectly. Like all other hobby pilots. Or professional cinematographers worldwide. It's easy. When I try to take a picture of anything, I compose the shot by calculating the relative position of all the objects in my head, then glance quickly at the screen to chcek ISO and then press the shutter while looking at the quad. Like any hobby or professional photographer worldwide. This is to avoid crashing helicopters. My neighbour tried to compose a shot with his quad 800 m away without VLOS. Suddenly a helicopter showed up. He didn't see it or hear it and it smashed right into his toy and down it came in flames onto the poor people below!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun