DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really Losing Faith

pmshop

Reactions
I usually do not write these reviews but I am beginning to lose faith in DJI.

Purchased a Refurb Mavic Air Flymore package March 29th.
Charged the batteries and discovered a battery was DOA.
Got that exchanged (1st issue)

I had a night flight and noticed two stuck pixels and a faint white grid across the field of view (2nd issue)
Sent the Mavic Air in for service and received a new Mavic Air in exchange.
But the new Mavic Air had a stuck pxel in a different location and the faint white grid is more pronounced and different shades of contrast across the field of view (3rd issue)

Can't send in for service just yet.
Have a recording engagement May 2-5.

I purchased a new Mavic Air regular package to increase my fleet coverage (I have 2 Sparks), charged the battery, saw charging activity, tried to fly this morning but no signs of power (4th issue)

Submitted a ticket for that but not sure what to do next...

Last edited:
Reactions: karl.schreiber
charged the battery, saw charging activity, tried to fly this morning but no signs of power
That is as cryptic as one can be. If you just wanted to vent some frustration, that is fine and don't mind me. But if you want help, there are some great people here who go miles out of their way to help people. You have to be a little more descriptive about the issue though.

Reactions: kylehink
That is as cryptic as one can be. If you just wanted to vent some frustration, that is fine and don't mind me. But if you want help, there are some great people here who go miles out of their way to help people. You have to be a little more descriptive about the issue though.

Cryptic?
Those are the issues.
There is no more description to provide.
I know how this works.
I am one of those that goes miles out of their way to help Spark pilots.

OK, maybe the last line was cryptic...
Is it time to change brands after being a well treated customer for 18 months with my Sparks?
I'll fill in a sample video of the grid as well on the OP

I had a night flight and noticed two stuck pixels and a faint white grid across the field of view (2nd issue)
But the new Mavic Air had a stuck pxel in a different location and the faint white grid is more pronounced and different shades of contrast across the field of view (3rd issue)

I purchased a new Mavic Air regular package to increase my fleet coverage (I have 2 Sparks), charged the battery, saw charging activity, tried to fly this morning but no signs of power (4th issue)

Yea I see the dead pixels and the grid. I kinda think the grid is just noise and has to do with the quality of the camera to an extent. The dead pixels is one thing but I just don’t know that you can expect that tiny sensor to get good night time results. This isn’t just low light this is pitch black out you know.

The camera complaint just reflects a completely unrealistic expectation for a 1/2.3” sensor presented with a night scene.

The battery problem needs far more explanation. So you had a refurbished MA replaced with a new one, and you also purchased a new MA with one battery. That's the battery in question? What was its charge level when you received it? What was its charge level after charging? What happens if you put it back on the charger? Does the aircraft fly with one of the other batteries? If you want any help you really are going to have to be a bit more forthcoming.

Reactions: pvs and Shon
Yea I see the dead pixels and the grid. I kinda think the grid is just noise and has to do with the quality of the camera to an extent. The dead pixels is one thing but I just don’t know that you can expect that tiny sensor to get good night time results. This isn’t just low light this is pitch black out you know.

Well, the Spark has no such grid.
You pay more, you expect at least the same.
If you watch the video further, it is not just pitch black.
I captured city lights as well.

Last edited:
The camera complaint just reflects a completely unrealistic expectation for a 1/2.3” sensor presented with a night scene.

The battery problem needs far more explanation. So you had a refurbished MA replaced with a new one, and you also purchased a new MA with one battery. That's the battery in question? What was its charge level when you received it? What was its charge level after charging? What happens if you put it back on the charger? Does the aircraft fly with one of the other batteries? If you want any help you really are going to have to be a bit more forthcoming.

As just mentioned, The Spark has no such grid so it is not an unrealistic expectation.
Something is making my video dark as well on both auto and manual.
Case in point on the manual, even at 3200 ISO and 1/60 shutter EV is at -5 and cannot be changed.

Just fired up my 2nd MA and checked in low light - more stuck pixels and the grid.
Click on photo for full screen/ darker environment to see the stuck pixels clearly.

The refurb MA was exchanged for a new one to solve the stuck pixel and the grid.
The new MA came back with a stuck pixel in a different area and a more pronounced grid.

If it is unrealistic, then how did I get this with less?

Refurb Flymore package had a battery DOA.
No signs of power at all.
4 hour charge, no indication of power at all while charging.

The MA with one battery showed one light.
Charged it, tried to fly the next day with it and it would not turn on - no signs of power.
Put it back in the charger, no sign of power for 4 hours.

Don't need help with the batteries.
I know DOA when I see it.
Just sharing the experience.

Last edited:
Then there is my story. Purchased Mavic Air Refurbished from DJI in January and am totally pleased and amazed at the amount of technology that exists in such a small drone. I accept the fact that if I want to fly at night I won't get the quality I get during day flights. I have shot video in bright daylight with 13 MPH winds and the video is perfect. Straight on the horizon and crystal clear imagery. If you want to shoot images at night, you will need to set your camera to manual and make the correct adjustments to shutter speed, aperture and ISO. I am a big fan of DJI.

Then there is my story. Purchased Mavic Air Refurbished from DJI in January and am totally pleased and amazed at the amount of technology that exists in such a small drone. I accept the fact that if I want to fly at night I won't get the quality I get during day flights. I have shot video in bright daylight with 13 MPH winds and the video is perfect. Straight on the horizon and crystal clear imagery. If you want to shoot images at night, you will need to set your camera to manual and make the correct adjustments to shutter speed, aperture and ISO. I am a big fan of DJI.

Don't get me wrong, 25 mph winds - I am impressed:

But I have done nights before with the Spark - no issues.
Stuck pixels are just not acceptable with such an expensive unit.

Reactions: DynoTech
As just mentioned, The Spark has no such grid so it is not an unrealistic expectation.
Something is making my video dark as well on both auto and manual.
Case in point on the manual, even at 3200 ISO and 1/60 shutter EV is at -5 and cannot be changed.

Just fired up my 2nd MA and checked in low light - more stuck pixels and the grid.
Click on photo for full screen/ darker environment to see the stuck pixels clearly.
View attachment 70593

The refurb MA was exchanged for a new one to solve the stuck pixel and the grid.
The new MA came back with a stuck pixel in a different area and a more pronounced grid.

If it is unrealistic, then how did I get this with less?

Refurb Flymore package had a battery DOA.
No signs of power at all.
4 hour charge, no indication of power at all while charging.

The MA with one battery showed one light.
Charged it, tried to fly the next day with it and it would not turn on - no signs of power.
Put it back in the charger, no sign of power for 4 hours.

Don't need help with the batteries.
I know DOA when I see it.
Just sharing the experience.

Never let your ISO go above 800. Set it to manual mode with ISO 800 and shutter 1/30. -3 sharpness, -2 contrast, +1 saturation at night. You still might want to but it through s noise reduction software. That’s just what you have to do with this type of camera. As for the dead pixels that’s another matter but it’s pretty common for a sensor that small

Never let your ISO go above 800. Set it to manual mode with ISO 800 and shutter 1/30. -3 sharpness, -2 contrast, +1 saturation at night. You still might want to but it through s noise reduction software. That’s just what you have to do with this type of camera. As for the dead pixels that’s another matter but it’s pretty common for a sensor that small

I will put that in my cook book for tomorrow morning.
Thank you very much!!!

Add issue #6 - controller rebooted twice.

Not during flight fortunately.

Wasn't even working with it.
It was left on and I heard the boot beeps.
Not the "hey you left me on" beeps.

Last edited:
Confirmed.
The Mavic Air controller is rebooting.
And now it is rebooting during flight.

Hot and cold pixels are a reality on all but the most expensive CCDs. Usually they aren't visible, but reduce the light, increase the gain and exposure and you will see them.

I take long exposure (10 min) astronomy pictures with a dedicated 35mm cooled camera, it costs about 5x the price of a MA, that has some hot pixels, if you pay another £1,000 you can get a grade A sensor, but even that is not guaranteed to be free of hot or dead pixels, it is just that they will be below a certain level.

Push my expensive camera even further (higher gain and 20 min exposure) and I can see a column of pixels which are not as sensitive as the rest, perhaps these will fail eventually.

Anyway all this is to say that all camera sensors have hot and cold pixels, dead pixels and even dead columns, usually you don't see them, but if you push the exposure and gain, you will.

There are programs which will do dark frame subtraction or hot pixel removal, but you are probably going to see a lot of noise in your video and or grains/motion blur, so you might be loosing a battle.

Probably best just to fly in a bit more light.

Reactions: pvs
Don't get me wrong, 25 mph winds - I am impressed:

But I have done nights before with the Spark - no issues.
Stuck pixels are just not acceptable with such an expensive unit.

That depends on your expectations. You can pay decent money for a decent monitor AND expect to get one or two dead pixels. You would not get a refund. Perhaps the reason was a refurb in the first place was the dead pixels. I also bought a refurb. I've not checked each individual pixel, but I am more than happy with my purchase and the MA. My expectation on buying a refurb was that it would be problematic. I sometimes have an issue with the gimbal when flying sideways in sports mode (not sure of the cause), but I'm prepared to accept that, in the knowledge I paid much less for my MA.

To poster 17 and 18,
My Spark does not have stuck pixels while recording/ shooting photos.
You all do understand these are recorded stuck pixels...not just viewed from a device?

Post #8 is not a screen grab from a mobile device.
It is a screen grab from the unedited video direct from the Micro SD Card of the new Mavic Air I got in exchange for the refurb.

The stuck pixels on all three Mavic Air are all in different areas of the recording.

I understand about expectations.
That is why I bought a refurb.
With my Sparks (bought two of them)
After crashes or a gimbal no longer holding the horizon shooting panos, I got quality refurbs in exchange.

But here is the new running tab of issues.
Issue 1 Purchased refurb FlyMore - had stuck pixels recording/ shooting photos - exchanged for new
Issue 2 One of 3 batteries were DOA - Exchanged for new
Issue 3 Exchanged for new Mavic has stuck pixels - Cannot send in yet
Issue 4 Purchased a second, new Mavic Air standard package for my fleet - battery DOA
Issue 5 Second Mavic Air has dead pixels while recording/ shooting photos.
Issue 6 Controller on second Mavic Air set reboots on its own even in flight
Issue 7 As seen in post #15 - Cannot shoot panos - spheres or 180s with the second Mavic Air

Where would your expectations be about now irpnetgb???

Maybe I am just not meant to experience the Mavic Air.
Totally unrelated to DJI Issues, I just received the Anbee 6-in-1 Fast Charging Hub For the DJI Mavic Air.
Only 3 of the 4 battery ports charge :oops:

To poster 17 and 18,
My Spark does not have stuck pixels while recording/ shooting photos.
You all do understand these are recorded stuck pixels...not just viewed from a device?

Post #8 is not a screen grab from a mobile device.
It is a screen grab from the unedited video direct from the Micro SD Card of the new Mavic Air I got in exchange for the refurb.

The stuck pixels on all three Mavic Air are all in different areas of the recording.

I understand about expectations.
That is why I bought a refurb.
With my Sparks (bought two of them)
After crashes or a gimbal no longer holding the horizon shooting panos, I got quality refurbs in exchange.

But here is the new running tab of issues.
Issue 1 Purchased refurb FlyMore - had stuck pixels recording/ shooting photos - exchanged for new
Issue 2 One of 3 batteries were DOA - Exchanged for new
Issue 3 Exchanged for new Mavic has stuck pixels - Cannot send in yet
Issue 4 Purchased a second, new Mavic Air standard package for my fleet - battery DOA
Issue 5 Second Mavic Air has dead pixels while recording/ shooting photos.
Issue 6 Controller on second Mavic Air set reboots on its own even in flight
Issue 7 As seen in post #15 - Cannot shoot panos - spheres or 180s with the second Mavic Air

Where would your expectations be about now irpnetgb???

Maybe I am just not meant to experience the Mavic Air.
Totally unrelated to DJI Issues, I just received the Anbee 6-in-1 Fast Charging Hub For the DJI Mavic Air.
Only 3 of the 4 battery ports charge :oops:

The pano thing is a mess. Fortunately something I've only used once, but even so, yes that's terrible and I WOULD expect better.
May I ask, have you purchased all of these from the same supplier? I think you may know where I'm going with that line of question, but it's not beyond reasonable to think it may be the suppliers you have used. Or maybe I just got lucky with mine.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar