DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations For Flying The Mavic Out The Cargo Door Of A Float Plane

I would modify a small blow up raft with a solid platform and just deploy the drone on the raft. Let out some line and get the drone away from your aircraft. Launch and land on the platform. When you are done, pull it in.

This avoids pretty much all the issues you would face, I think.

It is a nice plane, but quite the beast. It is far too tall to access the wing or top of the aircraft from the steps. Aside from that, when the paint is wet is is worse than ice. The floor back by the cargo door is sized to hold a sheet of plywood flat. I may try a few passes on the ground to the cargo area. I was looking to see about the settings of obstacle avoidance so it does not freak out when it gets close to the aircraft. I was unsure if you can change them in flight or does it have to be set prior to takeoff? This shot is on the ground of mine DJI_0662.1.jpgactually taken with the Mavic 2.

Reactions: NXPRSS
I used to have to fuel those planes.... (had some based at our local airport) sucked having to get out the ladder and fuel it... lol they are tall though!!

Somewhat different request for advice. I have a large float plane, specifically a Cessna 208 Caravan. It has a large cargo door and cargo area, 50" wide x 52" high with the floor area approximately the same dimensions. Since I go into the backcountry on lakes and rivers. I would like to launch and recover the Mavic 2 Pro from cargo area and out through the door, primarily since the float tops are only 18" wide and not too terribly high off the water. I understand the drone has some issues with flight over water due to reflections from the water. So some advice on that and getting the drone in and out of the cargo area while in the water would be most helpful. We do go into some interesting areas, so it would be good to get some images and video while out in the backcountry.

Not my aircraft, but similar. Don't have a pic of mine with the door open in the water, I also usually have the rear row of seats out for cargo:

View attachment 83055

Somewhat different request for advice. I have a large float plane, specifically a Cessna 208 Caravan. It has a large cargo door and cargo area, 50" wide x 52" high with the floor area approximately the same dimensions. Since I go into the backcountry on lakes and rivers. I would like to launch and recover the Mavic 2 Pro from cargo area and out through the door, primarily since the float tops are only 18" wide and not too terribly high off the water. I understand the drone has some issues with flight over water due to reflections from the water. So some advice on that and getting the drone in and out of the cargo area while in the water would be most helpful. We do go into some interesting areas, so it would be good to get some images and video while out in the backcountry.

Not my aircraft, but similar. Don't have a pic of mine with the door open in the water, I also usually have the rear row of seats out for cargo:

View attachment 83055

You might consider the Sea Lander jacket for the Mavic 2 as this would be a perfect fit.

Don't see it mentioned - even anchored, the plane will shift a bit in the water - be very sure to manually land instead of using RTH without manual control - very good chance that your GPS return location will shift slightly, and if you are landing on a raft, a wing or the top of the door you are likely going to witness your MP2 going for a swim. Fly it by hand on the way in...

I always seek advice on doing something different. I was a Naval Officer and NOAA officer, so lots of time on boats with aircraft. I was originally a Carrier pilot flying E2's off and successfully back on the deck a lot. We didn't try to be creative, get training and advice from those that have done this before. Our mistakes where a bit more dramatic. So I can thread a needle with an airplane, perhaps not with the drone. My personal experience in putting stuff on and recovering stuff from the water was always mixed. You launch or deploy everything in the lee side (downwind). This keeps it away from the hull. It also has the effect of everything drifting away from you. So launching and recovering on the water, either from a raft or attached flotation means, you may have to jump in to recover it. Don't want to get back in the cockpit soaked. Hand flying, without sensors seems the only way to do it. We didn't trust or use our automation to get us back on the boat, and my aircraft cost 200 million!

So I suppose I will need to start off with a hoop, advance to the aircraft on the ground. Of course, I have to move to an un-controlled airport to do that. I have several to pick from. Again, can the sensors be switched off in flight or is this a before and after option only? That and exactly how do you do it? I know it buried someplace in the menus.

The Downward Vision system can be turned off in flight so I imagine deactivating all the collision avoidance is a possibility.

I did finally have a chance to test this idea out on the ground. I found I needed to put the Mavic in Sport Mode, or it wouldn't go near the aircraft. While the door opening is generous enough to fly the drone in and out, it is just not comfortable at all. What happens is turbulence around the opening itself, even in light winds, makes it more exciting than I care for. I do thank everybody for their suggestions. My solution for the pics is another aircraft coming along, a tiny Huskey on Floats as well.
dronec1.jpgdronec2.jpgCaravan Drone Nose On.jpg

Reactions: g36pilot
Sport mode disables the Obstacle Avoidance sensors (which is why it lets you get into the tight confine of the cargo door) but it also amplifies all control inputs. You might have better luck leaving it in P mode (or even Tripod mode) and just go into settings and manually turn off Obstacle Avoidance. It'll move much slower and less chance of an errant stick movement sending it bouncing off the door frame, and then into the drink. Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird