DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations For Flying The Mavic Out The Cargo Door Of A Float Plane

Dogpilot

Reactions
Somewhat different request for advice. I have a large float plane, specifically a Cessna 208 Caravan. It has a large cargo door and cargo area, 50" wide x 52" high with the floor area approximately the same dimensions. Since I go into the backcountry on lakes and rivers. I would like to launch and recover the Mavic 2 Pro from cargo area and out through the door, primarily since the float tops are only 18" wide and not too terribly high off the water. I understand the drone has some issues with flight over water due to reflections from the water. So some advice on that and getting the drone in and out of the cargo area while in the water would be most helpful. We do go into some interesting areas, so it would be good to get some images and video while out in the backcountry.

Not my aircraft, but similar. Don't have a pic of mine with the door open in the water, I also usually have the rear row of seats out for cargo:

cargo door.jpg

I don’t know the plane, but if it’s similar to your pic and I assume you are not confident (nor does it look practical) in flying in and out of confined and moving space, It would seem obvious to hand launch and land whilst standing on the float and keeping away from any obstructions as much as possible, turn off sensors if that troubles you, though you will be 6’ off the water so I probably wouldn’t bother personally turning them off.

I'm not an expert by any means on this topic, but can say as a fellow MP owner that just flying into a double car garage with a car inside was about all I could handle as a newb flyer. Looks like this concept has about the same margin of error.

You'll get a ton of prop wash in a small space like that, plus who knows what you'll blow off the deck etc. Landing it inside the plane will be even harder and more nerve wracking. I tried hand landing mine today and let's just say you need to have the configs spot on for that and practice launches and landings until it's easy. You'll also probably want to make at least one change to your controller which is to attach it to a lanyard that goes around your neck. You just might need two hands to launch and recover your drone. Good luck though and let us know how this works out- am digging your intrepid approach.

Also not an expert, but my gut feel is your best bet would be standing on the tail end of the float doing hand launch and catch, away from the wing and cargo door. Tough to see if any part of the place can help you steady your body with while your hands are occupied with the controller and drone.

Somewhat different request for advice. I have a large float plane, specifically a Cessna 208 Caravan. It has a large cargo door and cargo area, 50" wide x 52" high with the floor area approximately the same dimensions. Since I go into the backcountry on lakes and rivers. I would like to launch and recover the Mavic 2 Pro from cargo area and out through the door, primarily since the float tops are only 18" wide and not too terribly high off the water. I understand the drone has some issues with flight over water due to reflections from the water. So some advice on that and getting the drone in and out of the cargo area while in the water would be most helpful. We do go into some interesting areas, so it would be good to get some images and video while out in the backcountry.

Not my aircraft, but similar. Don't have a pic of mine with the door open in the water, I also usually have the rear row of seats out for cargo:

View attachment 83055
I imagine most of the float plane is aluminum....but if you intend to take off from the cargo area floor, make sure there is no steel in there as the AC compass may well have an issue.

Reactions: Thomas B
Yes, aside from bolts, the structure is aluminum or composite. When I select a spot to land it is generally calm to light winds. Winds over 10-15 knots make the surface quite choppy and it is a very bumpy landing. To do pics and such, it needs to be fairly windless days, or the aircraft moves quite a bit on the water when we shut down the engine. It has quite a large sail area. While deploying a float, like suggested is not a bad idea, except it would end up in the pics. I have not tried hand launching and recovering. Need to check that out. The aircraft is quite large, with the floats nearly 30' long, so it is rather stable in the water. As far as regulations are concerned, legally, once we touch water, we are a boat.

We are hoping to do some ironic pics, such as recreating the "Planet of the Apes Landing." However, need to wait until spring when the Lake Powell reservoir fills back up.Planet of the Apes.jpg

You’d have to make sure you are anchored and not moving because it’s against FAA regulations otherwise. They think of everything don’t they?

Section 107.25
Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft.

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system—

(a) From a moving aircraft; or

(b) From a moving land or water-borne vehicle unless the small unmanned aircraft is flown over a sparsely populated area and is not transporting another person’s property for compensation or hire.

This was a joke ?

I figured as such, but realistically, the prop blast is enormous and it would be impossible to get back to the aircraft with the drone. Unless you wanted to dispose of the drone for a one shot. I can run the prop to zero pitch Beta, but the risk of it being hit, at $29,000 a copy for the prop, is far to great.

This subject came up while a few of us where doing our quarterly re-qualifications. We have a few trips planned this next spring and the. "Wait a minute, how can we do that?" came up. More than one of us fly drones. It is quite easy for us, as commercial pilots, to get a 107 license.

Reactions: g36pilot
Yes, aside from bolts, the structure is aluminum or composite. When I select a spot to land it is generally calm to light winds. Winds over 10-15 knots make the surface quite choppy and it is a very bumpy landing. To do pics and such, it needs to be fairly windless days, or the aircraft moves quite a bit on the water when we shut down the engine. It has quite a large sail area. While deploying a float, like suggested is not a bad idea, except it would end up in the pics. I have not tried hand launching and recovering. Need to check that out. The aircraft is quite large, with the floats nearly 30' long, so it is rather stable in the water. As far as regulations are concerned, legally, once we touch water, we are a boat.

Another idea:
Can you adjust your cargo door in a horizontal position? Then you could place the drone on top of the door .
Or a second person holds it in that position. It's only for the moment till the drone has GPS lock and takes off.

Reactions: BigAl07
The upper cargo door opens with gas shock struts. However, you can restrict its range of opening with a cord. Clever idea!. Albeit, it is quite high.

Reactions: BigAl07
View attachment 83055

Can't imagine wanting to risk a Mavic 2 Pro. But also wouldn't want to miss filming the adventures you have in store. Why not look on eBay for a cheap but good drone, e.g. DJI Phantom 2 or used Spark for a few hundred dollars. At least you could practice your landings with out risk to the M2P.

Consider an inflatable raft adapted with a flat platform of some sort that you can tie off? Obviously ideal conditions need to prevail. Hand catching from a kayak or something seems like your best bet.

I love this idea and hope it can be done. Just throwing out a bunch of things to discuss. Not an expert by any means.
  1. TRY THIS ON DRY LAND FIRST?
  2. From the photo check out the cargo floor deck angle. Will you need M2P landing gear extensions for enough prop clearance?
  3. Will compass calibration be required prior to launch due to distance from last one? Will it be accurate when performed inside the aircraft?
  4. ANY movement of the C208 will make the M2P appear to "slide around" the aircraft interior like it would in ATTI mode. You won't know if it's the aircraft or the M2 that's actually drifting.
  5. Rotor wash bouncing around the cargo area will affect M2 drift. It is unlikely you'll have the luxury of a leisurely takeoff. You'll have to be somewhat aggressive to keep your momentum constantly moving toward clear airspace.
  6. Good idea to turn OFF all the proximity sensors?
    1. They are relatively inexpensive components that are easily confused by lighting conditions, surface texture, or material composition.
    2. Prox detection can negate your stick inputs when you need them the most. What if during launch the M2 hesitates because it's too close to an object as you are moving out the door just as a swell is encountered moving the floor upwards. What will the M2 want to do? RW example- I ran a couple of Multi GP race gates (5' opening in square fabric covered frame) for some B roll when the M2P came to a complete stop short of the first gate. Slowly applying more forward stick eventually broke it loose and it took off like a shot. Turned off the sensors before trying that again. Another time when hand launching between 6' parallel steel walls the right prox decided to move the M2 left into the other wall. With 1/2 opposite stick in and 1' from the left wall, I held my breath until I could punch up into the clear. Haven't relied on collision avoidance since and unless I'm in a well lit outdoor environment I keep them OFF. It is nice for the OSD distance display though.
    3. Any collision avoidance inputs can negatively affect your control inputs in close proximity flying. Operating from a moving object requires positive control at all times. You mission complexity is further compounded by confined space as well.
  7. When transitioning the cargo door sill, ground effect changes will be significant. Going outbound the suddenly loss of forward rotor lift will cause at least a bobble as the M2 recognizes THEN compensates. How much of a forward dip and/or altitude loss will result? Try this on a table top. Depending on your forward speed the sudden increase in forward rotor lift when returning can momentarily slow or stop the M2. Be positive with your control movements, compensate for this transition, and be prepared to quickly remove your correction when it is no longer needed. You'll have to blend these corrections in with your normal landing inputs.

Combining close prox rotor wash, ground effect changes, with a slightly moving tight operating area will be a fun adventure. From the questions you've asked, you sound like you are equipped for the skill and mindset challenge.

I would like to launch and recover the Mavic 2 Pro from cargo area and out through the door, primarily since the float tops are only 18" wide and not too terribly high off the water.

hand start, hand catch - no issues. learn how to do it on the solid ground first, of course. hold it in your hand still when powered up until it catches satellites well and switches to gps mode.

The hand catch suggestion is the best option offered so far. Most seaplanes have steps on the float struts, one on the firewall, and maybe the wing strut for refueling purposes. Can you sit on the wing root for a hand catch with a commanding view?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31