DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recorded Wind Speed

roadkill443

Reactions
A slightly windy and 0'c morning here in the UK. Went for a frozen walk up in the peak district and took the mavic.

I'm still relatively new to the drone but have done lots of reading and all my flights have been in sensible places. This morning i was flying in a valley and all went well :)

As i crested the rock face of the valley I got a high wind velocity warning, I considered switching to sport mode but as it wasn't drifting i turned round and returned whilst dropping height and the warning disappeared.

Is there anywhere within the app to view the recorded wind speed, it was nothing excess just purely for my own curiosity. Or is this only available if i uploaded the log?

Still enjoying it, a confidence inspiring machine. Need better weather to continue flying and get more used to the camera.

No, the Mavic doesn't record or measure wind speed. It merely measures effort required to move, and gives you a warning when it's struggling. The conditions you describe are quite typical. Studying a little on flight dynamics, katabatic and anabatic winds, etc will help you to understand better the forces at play.

I live and fly in Kansas USA. We are well known for our wind. My high wind warning indicator is on for most of my flights. I'm always aware of the direction and velocity of the wind, but I largely ignore the wind warning message as it is on most all of the time. Fly on!

OK greetings from another part of the UK. I get the wind warning on most flights, I use my judgement to decide what action to take, I fly very conservatively and always in low wind conditions, always start out upwind, and keep low.
My Phantom P4 never had wind warnings until the infamous firmware update, I think they err on the safe side. Never crashed my P4 before the warnings, but it does worry me a bit.
Good luck.

I'm with you guys on ignoring the wind warnings for the most part.
I use my judgment and if it is ireally blowing hard I don't fly but if it's just slight wind I fly and never had a problem even with constant warnings.
Just thought I'd chime in.

I generally ignore them too as they are very conservative.

That said, I do perform mental calculations based on ground air speed and likely wind at altitude and adjust my behavior accordingly. For instance 30 mph aloft will require sport mode to maneuver upwind, which of course will also decrease battery runtime.

Using UAVforecast.com (or app) can be particularly helpful, especially to the novice.

A slightly windy and 0'c morning here in the UK. Went for a frozen walk up in the peak district and took the mavic.

I'm still relatively new to the drone but have done lots of reading and all my flights have been in sensible places. This morning i was flying in a valley and all went well :)

As i crested the rock face of the valley I got a high wind velocity warning..."

The wind at peak and ridge locations is likely to be higher than other places.

A meteorologist once informed me that in a location where a wind field makes a perpendicular crossing of a ridge line, the local wind at the ridgetop will be about double the speed of the ambient wind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloⒶlerta