DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recreational or Part 107?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160650

I have a small YouTube channel and I do not get any sort of payment from YouTube. Do I need my 107? I am going to get it once I start getting money from YouTube.

I have a small YouTube channel and I do not get any sort of payment from YouTube. Do I need my 107? I am going to get it once I start getting money from YouTube.
In this case I would call it you need part 107 because you plan to use the videos to promote a channel you plan to monetize in the future so it’s not strictly for recreational purposes.

It all depends upon the 'intent' of any given flight that will determine whether it is commercial or not, and I agree with brett8883 that your post does seem to show that your intent is commercial. When you say "I am going to get it (107) once I start getting money from YouTube" - that shows your intent.

I think you will find that some will suggest, just do it anyway and for the most part you won't have any problems but; another way to look at it is: why not get the 107 first and know that you've done it right and have no worries going forward.

If I used YouTube and posted my videos there which I don’t and was not monetized and had lots of videos then If..later on decided
to do so I wouldn’t think it mattered but that’s just what I think.
Like if I saw I had lots of followers and lots of likes and decided
To monetized if if I could wonder what that would be.
Now @BigAl07 could say I was wrong on that or not.
As far as getting a 107 I’m not untill I have to.
And who knows at some point we may all have to.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: BigAl07
If you make money on any flight video you need your part 107 license when the video was taken. Your license will not be retroactive to previous flight videos.

The only problem is that I am to young to get my 107 and (13) and I’m not sure what age I could.
If I used YouTube and posted my videos there which I don’t and was not monetized and had lots of videos then If..later on decided
Unfortunately the whole YouTube and 107 thing is based upon your intent to make money. I’m only in the early teens and I don’t think I can get my 107 anyway. As of now none of my videos get more than 300 views and I have about 290 subs. My intent is not to make money but rather to share my videos with everyone. Thanks for responding! :D

Reactions: dirkclod
If you make money on any flight video you need your part 107 license when the video was taken. Your license will not be retroactive to previous flight videos.
I have had people buy pictures I took years ago with my FC 40
that I just sold that I had no intention of selling.just posted them on Facebook.

I have had people buy pictures I took years ago with my FC 40
that I just sold that I had no intention of selling.just posted them on Facebook.
I had no intention of selling them but they asked and I did for a battery.

Reactions: Papa Beach
The only problem is that I am to young to get my 107 and (13) and I’m not sure what age I could.

Unfortunately the whole YouTube and 107 thing is based upon your intent to make money. I’m only in the early teens and I don’t think I can get my 107 anyway. As of now none of my videos get more than 300 views and I have about 290 subs. My intent is not to make money but rather to share my videos with everyone. Thanks for responding! :D
Here was one. No intention of selling it but they asked and I did. Wasn’t good but 🤷‍♂️
66385C2C-BC1F-40A3-9BBE-5DDF05C12A15.jpeg

You can only get away with "it's not my intent" so often. If you continually post video and make money you can't keep saying "it's not my intent" :).

You can only get away with "it's not my intent" so often. If you continually post video and make money you can't keep saying "it's not my intent" :).
I am not making money from anything and it is not my intent to. If I ever do I will get the 107.

I am not making money from anything and it is not my intent to. If I ever do I will get the 107.

The minimum age to register a drone is 13. The minimum age for flying under Part 107 is 16. You can fly under the recreational exemption at 13.

On the YT question, as long as you are flying for fun and just sharing videos on a non-monetized YT channel, then that's fine. If you ever decide to fly with the intent to make money then that will be non-recreational and require Part 107.

The minimum age to register a drone is 13. The minimum age for flying under Part 107 is 16. You can fly under the recreational exemption at 13.

On the YT question, as long as you are flying for fun and just sharing videos on a non-monetized YT channel, then that's fine. If you ever decide to fly with the intent to make money then that will be non-recreational and require Part 107.
Thanks for the advice! :D

This sums it up right here IMHO.

For myself, I decided to use my drone footage to help get some exposure for my music. So I studied for a couple of weeks and got my Part 107. Not hard really. Would the FAA be calling me if I didn't have my 107? Probably not, but if I want to be a good citizen in this hobby I figured I'd just get it and be done.

Recurrency tests can be done online now so keeping your Part 107 current is really easy now.

Seems a wise thing to do getting a 107 card, just for increased protection from FAA scrutiny. Kinda like a “Get Out Of Jail Free” card.

If you consider yourself a rogue outlaw, one step ahead of the police while breaking every rule, then read no farther.
I did not earn my Part 107 due to a fear of enforcement. I did so because I am proud and confident to tell potential clients that I am a skilled, educated and safe FAA Licensed Commercial Pilot.
I have a Drivers License and insurance, a Business License and insurance and a Pilots License and Recurrent Certification because it's the RIGHT thing to do to conduct business.
If you believe that the footage an/or images that you are producing now is good enough that one day will be or could be offered for sale, you need to be licensed now.
Do the right thing; you'll be glad and proud that you did - and you can stand tall with the best of us.

If you consider yourself a rogue outlaw, one step ahead of the police while breaking every rule, then read no farther.
I did not earn my Part 107 due to a fear of enforcement. I did so because I am proud and confident to tell potential clients that I am a skilled, educated and safe FAA Licensed Commercial Pilot.
I have a Drivers License and insurance, a Business License and insurance and a Pilots License and Recurrent Certification because it's the RIGHT thing to do to conduct business.
If you believe that the footage an/or images that you are producing now is good enough that one day will be or could be offered for sale, you need to be licensed now.
Do the right thing; you'll be glad and proud that you did - and you can stand tall with the best of us.
Spot on! Well said.

I got a YouTube channel so that I could post my occasional flights to this forum and to share with family/friends. Am I in a grey area?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs