DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reliable HDMI Tablets (smaller ones)

I recommend not going down the device rabbit hole, and buy a DJI crystalsky

It seems crazy to pay $250+ for an unsupported used tablet, and I get conflicting opinions on the Cinemizer so raspberries to both right now.

Although I'm no fan of DJI tattle tale data grabbing, in the end I purchased the large CrystalSky unit. I hear rumours about a number of new products for FPV glasses soon to arrive so will wait until I can test them out and make an appropriate choice. Meanwhile I can fly with the screen and plug in glasses later on.

Thank you guys for your input, much appreciated.
Level

Another option is the Skyreat tablet mount. It works great for me. Light, compact, and foldable, as well. Several companies make a similar one. Or if you don't mind the bulk or expense, you could always go with a high quality MavMount.

Skyreat:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7RFDBA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nJ5XAbAG76AGT

MavMount:
http://www.mavmount.com/index.php/product-category/mavic-spark-air-drone-ipad-tablet-mount-holder/
I really want the MavMount but the portability of the Skyreat is probably what I'll use. Does it hold a full sized iPad well? Using my iPhone X now but don't want to do that because of size/notifications, etc. Would rather use a dedicated unit, just not sure I want it as big as the 9.7 iPad!

Reactions: MikeBuck
I have been using Lenovo 4/8 tablet. It has a 7 inch screen with and overall size of 8 inches and can fit the MA controller at a squeeze. It handles anything the DJI4 app frows at it with no disernable lag. With the brightness cranked up it is easier to read the screen than apple tablets costing at least 3 times as much. All for less than £150 UK from a leading high street retailer. No HDMI I am afraid, I connect from the large USB connection on the RC to the tablet's USB C. Don't waste a fortune on an ovrtprised underperforming apple tablet.

I really want the MavMount but the portability of the Skyreat is probably what I'll use. Does it hold a full sized iPad well? Using my iPhone X now but don't want to do that because of size/notifications, etc. Would rather use a dedicated unit, just not sure I want it as big as the 9.7 iPad!
I've only used it with the Shield, but I'm sure it would be fine with the 9.7 iPad. It's very sturdy. I'm not sure I'd want that big of a tablet either, just because of the weight and completely visually blocking the RC. If you haven't bought a tablet yet, you might want to go with the iPad mini, instead. But if you have the 9.7 iPad lying around, go for it.

Reactions: robertkay
I really want the MavMount but the portability of the Skyreat is probably what I'll use. Does it hold a full sized iPad well?
Yes.

Reactions: robertkay
I've only used it with the Shield, but I'm sure it would be fine with the 9.7 iPad. It's very sturdy. I'm not sure I'd want that big of a tablet either, just because of the weight and completely visually blocking the RC. If you haven't bought a tablet yet, you might want to go with the iPad mini, instead. But if you have the 9.7 iPad lying around, go for it.
I have a Mini 2 in the closet somewhere but an iPad Air 2 that I use more often. Not sure the Mini 2 is up to par spec-wise.

I have a Mini 2 in the closet somewhere but an iPad Air 2 that I use more often. Not sure the Mini 2 is up to par spec-wise.
Mini 2 would probably be okay. Either way, one of the foldable skyreat type mounts will be fine. I was close to getting the mavmount, but wanted something a bit more compact. Maybe they come out with a more compact version one day!

As an experienced nvidia shield K1 tablet flyer, my biggest recommendation is do not let the K1 upgrade to Android 7 “Nougat”. Stay at Marshmallow, Android 6.x. Otherwise DJI Go 4 constantly crashes, which is very annoying mid-flight.

I cringe seeing these great tablets now selling used for twice the price I paid brand new early last year. You’d think a few lightbulbs would go off at nVidia and they’d come up with a new model capitalizing on this underserved market. Shark tank anyone!

As an experienced nvidia shield K1 tablet flyer, my biggest recommendation is do not let the K1 upgrade to Android 7 “Nougat”. Stay at Marshmallow, Android 6.x. Otherwise DJI Go 4 constantly crashes, which is very annoying mid-flight.

I cringe seeing these great tablets now selling used for twice the price I paid brand new early last year. You’d think a few lightbulbs would go off at nVidia and they’d come up with a new model capitalizing on this underserved market. Shark tank anyone!

I agree, I tested several of the pre releases of the firmwares following the 7 Nougat release. The first Nougat was a nightmare causing the tablet to go slow and there were battery charging issues... second release solved most issues and made the tablet faster... 3 rd slowed it down again. I use the pad for more than just flying the Mavic, but nothing that should cause it to be as slow as it has become.

Unfortunately last time I spoke to Nvidia firmware developers, there was no view to releasing a new version of the tablet.

I'm looking forward to using the Crystalsky 7.85 which should arrive this week. FWIW my phone does not fit the controller....a bit of a disappointment for the interim. Its connector is near the corner and the supplied cable isn't long enough, so if you use a Blackphone plan on finding a different solution.

Mini 2 would probably be okay. Either way, one of the foldable skyreat type mounts will be fine. I was close to getting the mavmount, but wanted something a bit more compact. Maybe they come out with a more compact version one day!

I have it I might as well try it. But now that I think about it, it’s the original Mini so won’t do.

I'm looking forward to using the Crystalsky 7.85 which should arrive this week. FWIW my phone does not fit the controller....a bit of a disappointment for the interim. Its connector is near the corner and the supplied cable isn't long enough, so if you use a Blackphone plan on finding a different solution.

Got the Crystalsky, and this mount, Buy CrystalSky Mavic Pro/Spark Remote Controller Mounting Bracket | DJI Store ....which does not fit either the MA controller or this PolarPro mount, DJI CrystalSky - Mavic / Spark Remote Mount

All this in spite of requesting appropriate hardware for the MA. Time for a rethink and perhaps a phone call or two.

I have it I might as well try it. But now that I think about it, it’s the original Mini so won’t do.
OG Mini probably a no go. I also use the Huawei Elate with a 5.5" screen as a dedicated device, when I don't want to drag around the shield and mount. It works really well and only $65 at best buy (add a free $30 cricket refill card to cart and then you can sell the card on eBay for $20-$25). $45 for a 720p screen ain't bad!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cricke...phone-white-with-gray/6032705.p?skuId=6032705

I use a Mini 2 with no real issues. It is dedicated to this use so has no other apps except those related to the task (Go4 of course, Airmap, Litchi, etc) and I make sure nothing else is running. I once got a brief CPU warning in the Go4 app but had not manually quit all other apps. Didn't cause any flight issues however. Also make sure you turn off ALL iCloud sync features or it will soon become as cluttered a your other iOS devices.

I use a mount that I designed and 3D printed myself that uses a GoPro tripod adapter (I had one but there are lots you can print).

Mavic Air Phone/Tablet Mount by supergimp if anyone is interested.

XhMCku4AQIuwHIyP3UIHwA.jpg hiL8SDQBRkaFB+dogsd+oA.jpg

That said, my buddy has a CrystalSky and once I saw it in real life I realized there is no comparison. It's a game changer. Even with a hood on the iPad, I was constantly struggling to avoid glare in the bright Southern California sun. CrystalSky had no issues, no hood. I found one for sale used and hope to receive it in a few days. I don't think I'll ever go back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird