DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangerider

Reactions
The following is for forum consideration. It is inevitable that more control/monitoring will come upon us via Part 107 operations and the 'recreational' community will be relegated to even more confining airspace in my opinion. What do you think?

From ALPA (Air Line Pilot's Association) August 2019 magazine.

“During the June meeting, the DAC (Drone Advisory Committee of the FAA) accepted four assignments from the FAA.”

• Develop recommendations for early equipage of remote ID for drones.
  • Identify current existing or emerging technical solutions at the aircraft or operational limitation/capability level that would reduce threats to safety and security.
  • Review and recommend improvements to the FAR Part 107 waiver process.
  • Review the FAA’s UAS integration plan.
The FAA DAC is chaired by Michael Chasen, CEO of Precision Hawk, Inc.

From the FAA:

“Remote ID is the ability of a UAS in flight to provide identification information that can be received by other parties.” “Remote ID would assist the FAA, law enforcement, and Federal security agencies when a UAS appears to be flying in an unsafe manner or where the drone is not allowed to fly.” “Remote ID is the next step to enable safe, routine drone operations across our nation. This capability will enhance safety and security by allowing the FAA, law enforcement, and Federal security agencies to identify drones flying in their jurisdiction.”

From PrecisionHawk:

“PrecisionHawk will also test LATAS (Low Altitude Tracking & Avoidance System) its traffic management system for UAVs. Testing will include on-aircraft transponders as well as LATAS traffic management ground-based hardware and software.

ALPA’s President and newly appointed DAC member Capt Joe DePete said: “We don’t have to wait until all the pieces are in place for counter-drone systems near airports. Let’s start with detection and build a more complete drone security solution as the technology and legal process allows.”

Reference is also made in this article about closing the hobbyist loophole. Also mentioned were “… rules that will establish requirements for remote identification and tracking small UAS…”

It is clear from this article that ALPA looks upon recreational drones as a threat and menace to aviation. That is unfortunate. I see more threats from birds than I do from drones.

I am wondering if the remote ID can be a software update to existing drones or will it require us to buy new drones to continue to operate in the 'nation's airspace'?

Link to FAA's Drone Advisory Committee Not surprisingly it has some large corps including DJI, Boeing, PrecisionHawk, etc. advising the FAA on how to best control the future of commercial and recreational drone air traffic.

Last edited:
forgot to add, at first blush, i'm ok with most of it until you start added in the law enforcement component. i understand no law can stand on it's own without the use of force, i'm just sensitive to the potential abuse. if drone operators were treated like motorists than most of this would be a non-issue. but that day hasn't arrived (and is nowhere close to being here) so here were are.

remote id for federal officials, fine. remote id for state and law enforcement, negative.

Big Brother !!!

May 22, 2019 - 2020. All new DJI drone models released after January 1, 2020, that weigh more than 250 grams (8.8 oz) will include AirSense technology. AirSense technology will allow consumer drones to receive ADS-B signals from nearby airplanes and helicopters that will warn drone pilots if they appear to be on a collision course.
--- DJI to add Airplane and Helicopter Detectors to Consumer Drones from 2020 - Newsshooter
I wonder what this will cost me to retrofit my drone? Will it be mandatory? Would a software update do it? New drones for everyone? If the technology is already being used in more expensive DJI drones it should kill all sales of new less expensive drones like the Mavic's, Sparks, etc. Is this why there is no talk about this until we've all loaded up on 'inexpensive' recreational drones like the M2P and then make it a requirement to have 'airsense' in order to fly your drone? This is clearly a corporate strategy to keep a lid on this until it is a requirement which appears to be very soon? AirSense appears to require a new receiver on older drones like the one I just bought 2 months ago? The airspace is apparently about to be invaded by a large fleet of commercial drones that will require this technology in order to keep the skies 'safe'.

See this thread for answers to some of my questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli
I am wondering if the remote ID can be a software update to existing drones or will it require us to buy new drones to continue to operate in the 'nation's airspace'?

I would expect that it would be more than just a software update - there would be a hardware module similar to the one (ADS-B Out) already in existence - see below link:-

DJI Phantom 4 equipped with ADS-B out

I would also suggest that DJI would endeavour to eventually implement both ADS-B In and Out technology under the hood, so to speak, to maintain aesthetics and aerodynamic function.

Reactions: Rangerider
The FAA's Aviation Rulemaking Committee on Remote UAS Identification submitted it's report in 2017 and the FAA is expected to issue its final recommendations in Sept or Oct of this year. The report mentions retrofitting can be done via software or firmware upgrades. It's also clear the committee did not reach unanimous recommendarions, so the report provides two alternatives for the implementation of remote ID. However, make no mistake, remote ID is coming. The questions are when and how.

UAS Identification and Tracking (UAS ID) Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) Final Report September 30, 2017
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/committees/documents/media/UAS%20ID%20ARC%20Final%20Report%20with%20Appendices.pdf

Reactions: deleted member 877
I understand the need the need for regulations. I would even welcome it if it could mean the ability to fly more in areas that are currently restricted. My fear, shared by most I am sure, is that this will bring more restrictions.

Reactions: Drgnfli and JAW
The following is from the Rulemaking Commitee's report regarding software only "upgrades" that meet the remote ID requirements. It comes from Airmap, one of the members of the committee:

Software based real time telemetry does not require any new hardware and importantly does not require any steps on the part of the operator. All that is necessary is that a software update is made to the existing flight control apps used by major manufacturers or any of their hundreds of developer apps that they allow to fly their drones. An FAA rule that mandates transmission of real time telemetry sent to stakeholders (i.e. mandating a software update) through a defined API at the FAA or with a TPP/USS will allow for the FAA to achieve substantial near term compliance using existing technology, existing software, and existing smart phones. It is not a 100% solution (none of the solutions are) but it is a substantial near term solution that the FAA should strongly consider.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Wow... this is a steep and very slippery slope, gentlemen.

And these proposals add how much the cost of quality drones?
And what about paying for the additional enforcement burden, annual retraining/testing and licence fees, and point of sale purchase tax?
And then what about background checks before purchases to protect the public from misuse, waiting periods, and non transfer between individuals without federal confirmation of 107 licencees or registered hobby pilots?
It sounds like a familiar refrain, doesn't it?
Sadly, just about ANYONE could make a strong argument favoring all the above.
I don't like the sound of it...any of it, especially the objective of "early adoption".
That means folks are in a HUGE rush to establish control.
Obviously some folks feel they're behind in their control duties; technology and public capability is moving faster than bureaucracy to limit it can keep pace.

Reactions: Drgnfli and NetDep
Your DJI drone already has remote ID transmit capability, it's off by default.
DJI Introduces Voluntary Flight Identification Options For Drone Pilots
That article was done in 2017. Has anyone seen this capability?:

Recent updates to the DJI GO 4 app and DJI drone firmware, made available first for the DJI Mavic Pro last week, will allow pilots to choose whether or not to broadcast additional information about their flight operations, if they believe it will be helpful to ease any concerns about their flights. Professional pilots and pilots who fly near sensitive locations may choose to do this routinely.

That article was done in 2017. Has anyone seen this capability?:

Recent updates to the DJI GO 4 app and DJI drone firmware, made available first for the DJI Mavic Pro last week, will allow pilots to choose whether or not to broadcast additional information about their flight operations, if they believe it will be helpful to ease any concerns about their flights. Professional pilots and pilots who fly near sensitive locations may choose to do this routinely.

It should be the first item in drone settings "Remote Identification". Your controller has to be connected to the drone.

It should be the first item in drone settings "Remote Identification". Your controller has to be connected to the drone.
True, but it uses a proprietary system called AeroScope which requires users (not drone pilots) to purchase a receiver and antenna(s). As of about 2 years ago, only two airports have the system installed, both in Asia. But that was 2 years ago. It does perhaps confirm the idea that a remote ID system can be achieved in software.

Even though I fly VERY conservatively, and almost always in out of the way places, every time I see this sort of never ending encroachment on our flying hobby, I am always very happy that I still have my trusty old F450 Flamewheel
:D

I leave UUID off so I don't open a door to get "hacked" like an Wifi connection.

Last edited:
How much battery life will the new drones lose? It's like when Windows Vista had a lot of government spyware because of 9/11. Windows XP is better but development for that stopped and you are forced to go Windows 10 with NVME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian