DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID function for FAA

Is this going to be a firmware update? Maybe super patcher may need to look at it.
So far it *has* been firmware updates to enable RID for DJI drones. For those who wish to fly within laws and regs, native RID means no extra devices, no extra batteries to charge, nothing new that might fall off the drone, and no extra cost.

Super patcher? Why?

So far it *has* been firmware updates to enable RID for DJI drones. For those who wish to fly within laws and regs, native RID means no extra devices, no extra batteries to charge, nothing new that might fall off the drone, and no extra cost.

Super patcher? Why?
How has it determined the remote ID serial number that you have to include with faa drone zone?

How has it determined the remote ID serial number that you have to include with faa drone zone?
We go over that in this article.

We go over that in this article.

I would be able to figure out the drone zone part, but how does the firmware determine that to give it to you to give it to the faa? I didn't make the request clear.

There is no expected forensic capabilities built into RID. The only way for someone to be able to track the drone is if they have an app that tracks and stores data. And they have to have that app open, running, and storing. There will be no clearinghouse for RID broadcasts.

It will be incumbent upon the app user to record the flight and give it to any responding police.

As far as the drone hovering over a hot tub, it's been my experience that this is usually either totally made up (someone who hates drones), or completely overblown by the "victim". I'm not saying it didn't happen, but unless there is evidence, I have my doubts. Too many people have cried wolf over drones (thanks to press, politicians, and manned pilots), that it's dubious when complaints like this arise.
Not one person in the hot tub had a cell phone nearby or in reach whatsoever and no one was able to get up from the hot tub to get a cell phone and record a drone hoving 12 feet above them. Hah Hah Hah.

Guess I'll have to pull out assistant 2 to find out if I have a firmware update, but I doubt it. It is probably only for the mpp and not the m1p.

I would be able to figure out the drone zone part, but how does the firmware determine that to give it to you to give it to the faa? I didn't make the request clear.
The manufacturer of the RID Broadcast Module or the RID-capable drone supplies the serial number. In the case of my Air 2s which has the RID firmware upgrade, there is an additional serial number on the About screen in Fly. It's in the same area as the Flight Controller Serial Number, labeled Remote ID Serial.

Not one person in the hot tub had a cell phone nearby or in reach whatsoever and no one was able to get up from the hot tub to get a cell phone and record a drone hoving 12 feet above them. Hah Hah Hah.
Well what do you think happened? For some reason they were electrocuted by their smart phone while taking a bath.

• Wow
Reactions: Don Testme
The manufacturer of the RID Broadcast Module or the RID-capable drone supplies the serial number. In the case of my Air 2s which has the RID firmware upgrade, there is an additional serial number on the About screen in Fly. It's in the same area as the Flight Controller Serial Number, labeled Remote ID Serial.
Most likely they'll try to match up the manufacturer serial numbers with their block of remote id serial numbers. Something that the firmware figures out or maybe it communicates through the go or fly app? It would still be able to fire up without the app I would think at least for some older models. Fly models probably not.

Guess I'll have to pull out assistant 2 to find out if I have a firmware update, but I doubt it. It is probably only for the mpp and not the m1p.
It's still early to worry about this. I did the firmware upgrade because I was curious and people ask me about these kinds of details in my job.

We're still 8 months away from needing this in the U.S. (9/16/2023).

It's still early to worry about this. I did the firmware upgrade because I was curious and people ask me about these kinds of details in my job.

We're still 8 months away from needing this in the U.S. (9/16/2023).
I am just curious whether it might show up on assistant 2 for my m1p. Not that I'm going to bake it yet.

Not on dankdronedownloader yet either. It shows the m1p and mpp practically using the same firmware. Assistant 2 may still treat it differently.

Best I can tell there has been no new actions down at the fcc records for mpp, so it's most likely just the firmware update to use the onboard wifi and or bluetooth.

DJI mavic pro platinum is now on the standard remote ID list. Most likely it has the full compliance with Bluetooth and wifi embedded chip whereas the original m1p is spotty on that. And this is probably with a firmware update.
Can you explain the difference you mention about the Platinum vs. standard MP1? What exactly is spotty? I have 3 MP1 drones and am still hopeful they will make them RID compliant, but at the very least I could pick up a platinum and still be able to use my 10 batteries and controllers.

Can you explain the difference you mention about the Platinum vs. standard MP1? What exactly is spotty? I have 3 MP1 drones and am still hopeful they will make them RID compliant, but at the very least I could pick up a platinum and still be able to use my 10 batteries and controllers.
The firmware might be the same, but the hardware might differ. Some of them had dual band wifi only or single band wifi (2.4ghz) and embedded bluetooth. Maybe the Bluetooth was only on the platinum. And maybe the m1p was dual band wifi only. But firmware would work for whichever board was present.

But then the receivers capability is whole another thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots