DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[Remote ID] Mavic Pro Platinum is Compliant!

cyeung

Reactions
It has been a while since I last posted here since getting an Inspire 2, but I have been regularly watching the list of Remote ID-compliant drones monthly hoping to see the Inspire 2 on the list. Mavic Pro Platinum is on the list, folks, so if you have one, no need to buy a broadcast module!

See for yourself here: UAS Declaration of Compliance

great news just shows how long the capability has been in our drones, mines over 4 years old now

Does anyone here know of any technical reasons why, if the MPP was approved, later-designed aircraft would (or should) not? I.e., is there hardware that was on the MPP that was not included in, for example, an M2P?

I realize this all is somewhat conjecture and may depend on specific design choices by DJI but it would seem a later drone (at least of equivalent product lines) would have at least the same general capabilities as far as transmissions go. I figured someone with more knowledge of the hardware than I might have some thoughts.

@Maviac back when the MPP was produced it was the runout model of the original Mavic ,
and back then the mavics had a much more aircraft orientated number of components in them ,by that i mean they had redundancy built in with duel components ,such as the IMU, compass, etc ,and there was also the capability to allow the drone to communicate its position, not just to one remote ,but also a second remote ,with limited control ,and also it used a much more accomplished APP in the GO4 ,which allowed much greater control over many of the functions
but as with all these things in order to improve flight time and to help reduce power drain and weight, the second generation mavics only had single components , and that has carried on to this day

Reactions: Felix le Chat
@Maviac back when the MPP was produced it was the runout model of the original Mavic ,
and back then the mavics had a much more aircraft orientated number of components in them ,by that i mean they had redundancy built in with duel components ,such as the IMU, compass, etc ,and there was also the capability to allow the drone to communicate its position, not just to one remote ,but also a second remote ,with limited control ,and also it used a much more accomplished APP in the GO4 ,which allowed much greater control over many of the functions
but as with all these things in order to improve flight time and to help reduce power drain and weight, the second generation mavics only had single components , and that has carried on to this day
Yeah, I thought I remembered discussions here a couple of years ago about its being equipped with redundant IMUs or compasses or something like that, which is what prompted me to ask, as I thought the folks who knew the insides of these things might have a better idea than me about whether there was anything about the MPP that might allow it to comply with RID that later models wouldn't.

I guess I could see a lower-line model like the later Mavic Air not having the same general capabilities, but I'd assume the M2 line as a successor would be capable of broadcasts the same as the MPP.

And I'm happy to say the M2 line still uses Go4. I flew a friend's Mavic Air 2 with the Fly App and couldn't figure out what to do!

Mavic Pro Platinum is on the list, folks, so if you have one, no need to buy a broadcast module!

Too left field for me to believe . . . I didn't see a specific M3P listed, maybe they made a typo ?
If the MPP is valid, the M1P would be too . . . and both being obsolete (along with the M2P/Z), why would DJI even bother to get it listed ?

Yeah saw that, anyone with the MPP see a match on the FCC identifier.
Also went through the FAA list above that here . . .

UAS Declaration of Compliance

Nothing about the MPP being on there makes sense, it was way before RID was even a twinkle in the FAA's eye.
I understand DJI was involved in the discussion on standards, and their products have long had the ability to broadcast information. They have also said all along that they’ve submitted numerous older drones for compliance. Not sure what it is that doesn’t make sense. The only surprising thing to me is that the MPP was the first of the older drones to get compliance, but maybe they just submitted all RID-capable drones by release date and they’re going in order.

Looks like the MPP FCC identifier SS3-M1X1708 is correct on the FAA page.
The M1P has a different model SS3-M1P1607.

I'm don't think there'd be many M1P / MPP still in use, at least as a % of DJI drones all told.
It'd be nice to see US pilots have other older models open up for RID capability though, especially the M2's which are a lot more abundant still.

Reactions: marnat3
The mix of wifi or rc makes it possible. It has the wifi module if not an embedded bluetooth as well.

Ddd doesn't show a firmware update yet, but maybe it'll show up in assistant 2?

I have not flown or kept up with anything since very early 2020. Could someone explain to me in layman’s terms what the flip I am reading about here. I realize everyone want their craft on the list to not have to buy a module, but what is the purpose of all this? Am I being tracked every time I fly?

Lots of resources available to read and YouTube videos also regarding Remote ID.
Official site: UAS Remote Identification | Federal Aviation Administration

In laymen's terms, Remote ID is like a drone license plate. Requires drones to transmit a list of parameters on or before September 16, 2023 or only fly in an FAA-Recognized Identification Area (FRIA)
Parameters are:
  1. A unique identifier for the drone;
  2. The drone's latitude, longitude, geometric altitude, and velocity;
  3. An indication of the latitude, longitude, and geometric altitude of control station (standard) or take-off location (broadcast module);
  4. A time mark; and
  5. Emergency status (Standard Remote ID Drone only
Whether or not someone is watching or tracking your flight is unknown, just that they can if they need to.

Reactions: BillySteph
Everyone keeps saying the skies are going to get more crowded? Really? I would imagine in areas yes, but where I am if anything the trend has fallen off the map. So I do not need a Karen in my business.

Sounds absolutely nothing like a license plate. The license plate is already attached to my drone. The FAA, it will help me in the middle of Bum F’ed Egypt avoid something that’s not even there. This is a clear invasion of privacy of hobbyists. It’s like saying “we are going to attach a transducer to your car and it will tell anyone at any time, the location you left in your car, what speed you’re going, your destination, how long you were there, and the route you took to get there. Plus the route and speed you took to get back” This is a load of BS. I understand the courts saying roads are not a right but privilege. But anything up to 400’ in a safe area? No, that’s a right. There was no tax dollars to create that air space,the Government did not create this space nor owns this space. God made this space, so I see it as a God given right in a lot of aspects.

Reactions: Sparkywest
If you want to fly a drone in an anonymous manner, Drone's under 250 grams are exempt.
Yea, I have a Mini, but I love my Platinum Pro. I just can’t see them tracing anyone down unless there has been a complaint. Or if someone is flying above our 400’, etc…

I just can’t see them tracing anyone down unless there has been a complaint. Or if someone is flying above our 400’, etc…

Unless a complaint has been received, yes, this is about it . . . no one is going to be monitoring this, it's a very close range tool.
LE for example would be able to find you, and follow up any supposed infringement on someones privacy, or a flight that's dangerous (over crowds etc).

From what I've read, this is just live, there's no footprint left of your flight after it's past X at any location or point in time.
After it lands and the drone is powered down, there's nothing in the way of evidence of anything to use.
I think that's right, and in that form, I'm not entirely sure just how useful RID will be unless action is very quick from whoever in authority is tasked with a report.

What some seem to be more concerned about is the apps anyone can download and be able to find a pilots location for nefarious purposes.
Some feel in some locations there may be civilian uninvolved folk that would want to find and steal expensive equipment, or rob the pilot if they're flying somewhere away from people etc.
That seems a low risk, but some areas of the US (or beyond) it could be a concern.

400' is irrelevant, as not with no real time, distant monitoring possible, it'd be just like now, some will fly over 400', beyond VLOS etc, and not be any different than with RID operating.

Who knows where this could lead though, maybe one day if you fly over 400', or a mile from the HP, it might be recorded somewhere, and a fine automatically issued and sent to the pilot.
Technology could probably evolve to that quite easily, like it could for traffic fines using a similar automotive module and GPS data (wouldn't that be a field day !).

I emailed DJI requesting information regarding the FAA Remote ID Declaration of Compliance that was submitted and were approved for the Mavic Pro Platinum. Since this is just their general customer service support, I asked them to please research the FAA submission with their development / technical team. Here is their response. Its going to be hard to know if there is going to be any help from DJI on this unless there is a way to get in touch with the development or technical people directly involved in the software and hardware development.

Duke (DJI Support)
2023/2/18 GMT+8 00:54
Dear customer,

Good day!

Thanks for your patience. After contacting our relevant team, I am sorry we do not have the relevant plan of Remote ID for Mavic Pro Platinum. For the link you provided, UAS Declaration of Compliance, our relevant team is confirming it now. For more detailed information, please kindly refer to the DJI Official website. Thanks for your understanding.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us. We are always here to help you.
Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Duke
DJI Technical Support
Phone Service: +1 (818) 235 0789 (Mon-Sun 6:00AM - 6:00PM PST)
Online Service: DJI Support (Mon-Sun 7:00AM - 5:00PM PST)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS