DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID on Private property?

Daytona500

Reactions
OK so I have an Old Mavic Air, no RID on it can I fly it in my back yard with out it

can I fly it in my back yard with out it
Without Remote ID, you'll only be able to fly at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or educational institutions. That of course will not include your backyard.

See more details here.

Reactions: Cafguy
No you may not. The FAA was persuaded that allowing anyone to fly a 250gram drone one inch over the ground in their own backyard surrounded by 8 foot fencing and 200 foot tall trees in the middle of nowhere is an imminent threat to national security which requires remote ID tracking. In court, when the FAA was asked why is it necessary if drone is flying at low altitude over private property and the answer was because its possible the drone may flyaway and cross over the property line and then we have to be able to catch people who are engaged in aerial trespass. Something (aerial trespass) the FAA denies exists out of the other side of their mouth.

well then my question would be who would know? No RID so how would anyone know I was flying in my back yard?

well then my question would be who would know?
I guess the same could be asked about any laws you intentionally break.

The more interesting question is what are the consequences after you are caught? And do you wish to strive to be a person of integrity?

No you may not. The FAA was persuaded that allowing anyone to fly a 250gram drone one inch over the ground in their own backyard surrounded by 8 foot fencing and 200 foot tall trees in the middle of nowhere is an imminent threat to national security which requires remote ID tracking. In court, when the FAA was asked why is it necessary if drone is flying at low altitude over private property and the answer was because its possible the drone may flyaway and cross over the property line and then we have to be able to catch people who are engaged in aerial trespass. Something (aerial trespass) the FAA denies exists out of the other side of their mouth.
Really? There must be a public record of this discussion. Do you have a link?

Count me skeptical. I think it far more likely that applicability of these rules over private property are more a matter of practicality in enforcement than any danger concern. LE resources are very limited. A patchwork of exceptions would make enforcement a nightmare, requiring a substantial investment of investigative resources to gather evidence and prove a case the defendant fights.

RID required everywhere is much easier to enforce.

well then my question would be who would know? No RID so how would anyone know I was flying in my back yard?
If you stay low probably no one, and you'd get away with it.

And you should, IMO, in this specific scenario as described. Punishing you would be oppressive.

It just really erks me that the gov can tell me what I can do on my own property. Whats the purpose of me broadcasting to everyone that Im home in my yard flying my drone. Its no bodies business what I do on my property. Also Law enforcement can't treaspass on my property with out a warrant. Are they really going to go thru all that trouble and expense just to bust me in my back yard. the whole thing is ridiculous. So I put a RID on my drone and then all the drone haters come trespassing destroy my yard and possibly assault me .and heres the rub I can fly my mini 3 pro anywhere I want with no rid and no body cares . Wheres the sense in that?

So I put a RID on my drone and then all the drone haters come trespassing destroy my yard and possibly assault me .and heres the rub I can fly my mini 3 pro anywhere I want with no rid and no body cares
It sounds like you're worrying about extremes that will likely never happen to you. And it would be far easier for someone to see/hear you flying and then do the same.

Reactions: FLDave and Torque
It just really erks me that the gov can tell me what I can do on my own property. Whats the purpose of me broadcasting to everyone that Im home in my yard flying my drone. Its no bodies business what I do on my property. Also Law enforcement can't treaspass on my property with out a warrant. Are they really going to go thru all that trouble and expense just to bust me in my back yard. the whole thing is ridiculous. So I put a RID on my drone and then all the drone haters come trespassing destroy my yard and possibly assault me .and heres the rub I can fly my mini 3 pro anywhere I want with no rid and no body cares . Wheres the sense in that?
My thoughts are one day a law enforcement officer doesn't have to show up in person to issue a warning or a citation. Everything will be "automatically" issued thru the mail or one day email. It will be the repeats that get a visit which will more likely justify a warrant.

It sounds like you're worrying about extremes that will likely never happen to you. And it would be far easier for someone to see/hear you flying and then do the same.
Well I do worry about it. Pilots get approached every day from drone haters, and now with RID they can hunt you down. You think its unlikely but lets wait and see when RID goes into effect .

• Haha
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Where is your data showing that "pilots get approached every day from drone haters"?
Dude all ya go to do is read here in the forum do a search on youtube drone hater are everywhere , here's just one of many

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
Forum posts don't represent real data and nothing to show every day events.
Agreed. The same applies to clickbait YouTube videos like the one shared above.

Reactions: okw
so your saying all these video's of drone hater encounters are fake , and just put up to get us to clic on fake material?

so your saying all these video's of drone hater encounters are fake , and just put up to get us to clic on fake material?
Not at all. I'm simply saying one clickbait video doesn't mean the entire non drone pilot world is plotting to attack drone pilots after they are able to access RID data. And why would they wait until RID data is available when they could have started their evil plot many years ago?

Much ado about nothing here.

Also, trespassing on private property is illegal. Why do you think so many people want to break the law to come after you?

How many drone hater/Karen videos can you find on YouTube?
How many from just the US?
Now subtract all the Drone Auditor style videos - their only purpose is to incite Drone Haters.
How many of those resulted in bodily harm?
How many of those were instances of drone haters coming onto the pilot's private property?

As of 2020, over on million drones have been sold in the US. As of May 2022, there were 855,860 drones registered in the United States by the FAA. 37% of registrations (316,075) were for commercial operation.
I would be willing to guess that number has surged far past 1 million drones sold in 2020, especially since the release of the Mini 3 Pro in 2022. I think the ratio of aggressive Drone haters to Drone pilots is quite low. In 10 years of flying drones, I've only been approached twice by angry people.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark