DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Removing stock lens is very stressful!

Bluenoseken

Reactions
Got my new M2Z yesterday and initially struggled to remove the stock lens as I also did with my MA. So stressful holding the gimbal steady while trying to remove the stock lens!
Why don't DJI just ship the drones with the stock lens off and put it in the quick start instructions that you should attach it before first flight?
I'm sure this would save a lot of anxious moments fron new owners not wanting to break the gimbal before they've even started flying!

Got my new M2Z yesterday and initially struggled to remove the stock lens as I also did with my MA. So stressful holding the gimbal steady while trying to remove the stock lens!
Why don't DJI just ship the drones with the stock lens off and put it in the quick start instructions that you should attach it before first flight?
I'm sure this would save a lot of anxious moments fron new owners not wanting to break the gimbal before they've even started flying!

Next time put on a rubber glove. It helps your fingers grip and unscrew the lens cap or nd filters with no effort like magic.

Reactions: Bluenoseken
Got it off eventually with a rubber band using torque and not squeezing tightly. Still think it would be a better idea to ship with no lens cap on and just some sort of peelable film to protect the lens. The lens cap or ND filters could then be put on by the purchaser. I would bet there's been some brand new unused drones sent back due to this issue!

Got it off eventually with a rubber band using torque and not squeezing tightly. Still think it would be a better idea to ship with no lens cap on and just some sort of peelable film to protect the lens. The lens cap or ND filters could then be put on by the purchaser. I would bet there's been some brand new unused drones sent back due to this issue!
That might be a good packaging idea. There were a couple of humorous (as in black humor) threads on trying to remove the Zoom's lens cap/protector. There are even a few youtube videos that are pretty funny. Same issue with their Osmo Action Pocket camera - although that needs to be tight or else you lose the waterproof seal! People sell tools to help with the process. I used a thick rubber band in both cases.

I can't believe I got my lens cover off. It was very tight with clear thread locker. I finally read where someone else used a Vape Tank Wrench. I bought one and it was still hard to get off. The lens cover started turning very slowly, so slowly I thought the wrench was slipping at first. After examining the lens cover I could see it had moved a little. After almost a full turn the cap started moving easier. I was surprised there were no scratches. I can't understand why DJI installs it like that. They sell ND filters in their store, they know you will have to take the cover off.

Annotation 2019-09-21 055304.jpg
Works for my fat fingers. Set is $7 at Amazon.

Changing the filters is always stressful for me, even with the PolarPro removal tool. What someone "should" do is invent a tool that holds the gimbal firmly in place so you can put the right amount of pressure on twisting the filter off without being afraid that one of these times you're going to slip and torque the gimbal too harshly and damage it.

I was thinking the gimbal cover has two pieces. Take the bubble off and use the bottom part to hold the gimbal. But then I realized that would get in the way of removing the lens.

View attachment 82084
Works for my fat fingers. Set is $7 at Amazon.
That's another good idea. I'm not sure it would have worked in my case though. I don't know if it was thread locker (Chinese Loctite)or dried Silicone sealant that DJI used when installing the lens cover, but whatever it was I needed the Vape Wrench to loosen the cover. There was definitely a clear residue on the camera threads.

Reactions: PAW and lilewis
That's another good idea. I'm not sure it would have worked in my case though. I don't know if it was thread locker (Chinese Loctite)or dried Silicone sealant that DJI used when installing the lens cover, but whatever it was I needed the Vape Wrench to loosen the cover. There was definitely a clear residue on the camera threads.
Looks interesting. Do you have a link?

Changing the filters is always stressful for me, even with the PolarPro removal tool. What someone "should" do is invent a tool that holds the gimbal firmly in place so you can put the right amount of pressure on twisting the filter off without being afraid that one of these times you're going to slip and torque the gimbal too harshly and damage it.
Filter removal tools are common in the photography world. Basically, just a strap wrench made out of plastic that exerts pressure evenly around the circumference of the filter, without putting pressure on any point around it, while removing it. Just a smaller version of one of these.
Perhaps someone can make one and 3D print it for the rest of us!

Reactions: lilewis
I use always a rubber glove, it's easy and safe.
Just tried that and it's a big help w twisting the filter off, so I'll keep some gloves in the bag with the filters. But I still hope to find a 3D printer file that holds the gimbal safely in place while twisting the filter. TBH, I haven't seen any complaints about people damaging their gimbals while changing filters, but I think it could easily happen.

that filter rotates and moves very easy if you do not press on the sides too firmly. it is no different than any other lens filter, really, and, a rubber glove helps - also in the way of not leaving fingerprints on the filter glass.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just tried that and it's a big help w twisting the filter off, so I'll keep some gloves in the bag with the filters. But I still hope to find a 3D printer file that holds the gimbal safely in place while twisting the filter. TBH, I haven't seen any complaints about people damaging their gimbals while changing filters, but I think it could easily happen.
Once off, a tiny drop of a lubricant oil wiped onto the camera lens filter threads with a Q Tip will make future removal easier when switching filters, especially if any residue from the original removal has made it into the filter threads. @bladestrike recommended this back in the day.

PolarPro filters in multipacks co e with a plastic wrench for removal. Mostly I just use my fingers now.

PolarPro filters in multipacks co e with a plastic wrench for removal. Mostly I just use my fingers now.
The M2P has an entirely different mechanism for filter removal and the M2P rectangular filter shape also helps. It's the round filter removal on the tiny M2Z that can be screwed on way too tight at the factory. Does PolarPro include an M2Z wrench or only the M2P one?

The M2P has an entirely different mechanism for filter removal and the M2P rectangular filter shape also helps. It's the round filter removal on the tiny M2Z that can be screwed on way too tight at the factory. Does PolarPro include an M2Z wrench or only the M2P one?
Only have the M2P.... That is what I was referencing in my last post. Not sure about the Zoom.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31