DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Repair after crash in salt water

dronemw

Reactions
I clipped the side of the boat with my mini 2 while taking off and it fell into salt water. I immediately dove in and got it out of the water. It was in the water for less than 5 seconds. I took battery and sim card out and let it dry (seems like I should have rinsed with fresh water but I didn't know to do that at the time). A week later the drone powers on however as soon as I put the battery in all 4 battery led lights turn on. It connects to the remote but says navigation system error so it will not take off. The camera seems to work fine. However the drone will not power off unless I take the battery out. Would replacing the ESC board help? Or is it worth sending in to DJI for repair? Or is it not even worth messing with?

We have submerged a few Mini 2 in the water and the Weak link is the ESC module and of course the Battery and Power Button.

You can try a New Battery if your not already trying that but most likely your going to need a new main board.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.
Screenshot 11-25-2020 15.25.50.jpg

@dronemw ,to be perfectly honest with you immersion in salt water, no matter for how long,will have a detrimental affect on the internal components of the drone ,this may not always manifest itself straight after the event ,and really the drone is possibly not going to be completely airworthy no matter what is changed ,since the new mini 3 has come out there are probably going to be a ready supply of used low flight time ,mini 2s out there ,if you have the DJI refresh then just use that to get a replacement ,or indeed purchase an as new drone from DJI with a replacement battery for the one that got wet

Reactions: MS Coast
Mini 2 . . . not worth trying to resolve / repair, if you could ever trust it again.

See if DJI will sell you and aircraft only, or look around for a body / full kit here on the forum 2nd hand.
Trust in buying 2nd hand for a drone is hard, I know . . .

You might find a new reasonably priced mini 2 package, even a flymore, with the newer model out.

You tried the original crash battery ?
That should be disposed of safely, it really is dangerous if compromised by the salt water.
Keep it outside somewhere it won't be an issue until you find a recycle type place, or you might have to deactivate it yourself if no such services exist nearby (YouTube it > here, done dispose of lipo battery).

** Do ask here before doing anything that looks dodgy.
I see a screenshot of someone about the hammer a nail in one, not a good idea . . . unless it matches many other videos and can be done in a safe place with controls in place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne