DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replace Mini 2 or New Mini 3?

BrettOlbrys

Reactions
My Mini 2 service warranty expired 7 months ago. I crashed the Mini 2 today and it landed in the water, and has some minor structural issues I'm hoping I can fix.

Three questions:

1) Will DJI do ANYTHING for me and if so, is it better to get it fixed or buy new?

2) If I buy new, should I stick with the Mini 2 or go with the Mini 3?

3) Are any of the Mini 2 components (batteries, controller, etc...) compatible with the Mini 3?

Thanks

DJI's repair prices are favourable, you could send it in and ask for a quote before you decide what to do? If you go for the repair you should get a new or "as good as new" drone back. So make sure you remove the memory card. I'd ask DJI if such a drone comes with its own warranty and what that warranty is.
What are these "minor structural issues I'm hoping I can fix."? Photos?

I think the controller is compatible but that's about it, total different batteries.

A submersionis NOT in your favour, fresh or salt water? Salt water is a fairly certain death sentence unless very quick and you then washed the drone well with fresh water and or Isopropyl alchohol.

If you have a lot of Mini 2 stuff then I'd go the mini 2 route and possibly an ebayed second hand one, sold in the condition category "Used". Your might even pick up an unactivated replacement, I did, that someone has chosen not to fly ( at a guess a replacement sent out for a care refresh 'fix'.
If you go second hand, BE CERTAIN to check that the drone is not bound to someone else's account and that the controller is not bound to the drone.

Fresh mountain water in Greece. One of the arms isn't retracting smoothly, and a couple of the blades need replacement. Don't have the screwdrivers here to try to fix, so I need to wait to go back to the U.S. It still powers on, just letting it dry out for a day in the clean mountain air.

Reactions: dozzn
Looks like it works fine, but there is condensation in the camera module. I assume I will need to replace the camera? Is this difficult to do?

When you return home, send it to DJI for an assessment, you'd be surprised at their prices and they will send you a completely new (or refurbished) drone.