DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to Home BEEP BEEP BEEP

I too thought about modifying the buzzer, i've done similar mods with loud buzzers by screwing a screw right into the hole most of them have. That puts some pressure on the buzzing part reducing the noise substantially.

In this case, the only way to do anything with the buzzer is to remove the whole board like Brian's Youtube video shows. It's buried in such a way that you can't even get to the leads on the top without going 99% of the way.

Apparently.

I saw where a guy on YouTube took the controller apart and replaced the beep speaker with an LED. I don't think I'll have the balls to do that for a few months (at least until controllers are available in case I destroy something) but sooner or later I'm going to end up removing it on mine if they don't offer a software solution

I'd use RTH a bit more if it didn't hurt my ears
Perhaps just tape the speaker to moderate the volume?

Yeah. I read out of order. Thanks for improving the site by pointing out my mistake.
I wasn't trying to be an A hole. I was just trying to show you the answer to your question rather than go through that discussion again.

OK. I came to the thread via a search so it dropped me into it midway. Also, I'm suggesting taping the speaker NOT the vent holes. The latter is a bad idea. I'm personally hopeful DJI adds volume control as a feature. The low battery warning is equally offensive.

OK. I came to the thread via a search so it dropped me into it midway. Also, I'm suggesting taping the speaker NOT the vent holes. The latter is a bad idea. I'm personally hopeful DJI adds volume control as a feature. The low battery warning is equally offensive.

It's a beeper in the controller, not a speaker, so, unfortunately, the volume can't be controlled.. If you take a look at the video where the guy tore down the controller to replace the beeper with LEDs, you will see that the beeper is located on the bottom part of the controller without any grill or opening from the outside, so it would not be possible to tape it up to reduce the volume without actually tearing the RC completely apart.. I just hope that DJI updates the controller firmware so it will simply give 2-3 beeps then shuts off automatically, or have a some way to "Swipe to mute" on the app...

I personally don't use RTH, but the same "beep beep beep ..." thing applies to the low battery warning, which is extremely irritating....

No.

Thanks msinger. A loud and annoying RTH sound that can't be turned off suggests it is a feature of last resort rather than something for casual use?

RTH is certainly not meant for casual use, only for the "i'm lost" situations that should never happen. But many seem to use it regularly as a "convenience" feature...

Reactions: The Editor
RTH is certainly not meant for casual use, only for the "i'm lost" situations that should never happen. But many seem to use it regularly as a "convenience" feature...
I see lots of that going on here.
Comments like "I decided I was going to bring my Mavic back so I hit RTH to bring her in to land" :rolleyes:
Some seem to think it's a 'cool feature' to play with and go and have a cup of coffee while it comes home and lands itself.
The idea that it is used for its intended purpose seems lost on many.

Returning to home you mean?
It isn't supposed to be emergencies only, furthermore being familiar and using it from time to time avoids panic if it is needed suddenly.

Exactly, its a feature now ... the first phantoms didnt have a return to home button as it was an emergency feature, but since the P3 it has been touted as a "feature" that should be used .. why else would you get a dedicated button on the remote for it?

Its alot more reliable that it ever used to be ... but that said, i dont think i'll use it often .. i guess i'm old school.

Exactly, its a feature now ... the first phantoms didnt have a return to home button as it was an emergency feature, but since the P3 it has been touted as a "feature" that should be used .. why else would you get a dedicated button on the remote for it?

Its alot more reliable that it ever used to be ... but that said, i dont think i'll use it often .. i guess i'm old school.
I can assure you the first Phantoms did have RTH.
It was first introduced with the advent of GPS enabled flight controllers and was and still is a fail-safe in the event of rf link being dropped or losing orientation ( although no reason for that with telemtry).
People have decided it is a 'feature' to be used to bring their aircraft back as a substitute for poor piloting skills which will be watered down even more now that some rely on automation for everything except wiping their back side.

I can assure you the first Phantoms did have RTH.
It was first introducedyum with the advent of GPS enabled flight controllers and was and still is a fail-safe in the event of rf link being dropped or losing orientation ( although no reason for that with telemtry).
People have decided it is a 'feature' to be used to bring their aircraft back as a substitute for poor piloting skills which will be watered down even more now that some rely on automation for everything except wiping their back side.

Read my post buddy ... i said they didnt have a rth button ... i know they had it as a failsafe. i had a phantom 1 till 1 week ago.

Read my post buddy ... i said they didnt have a rth button ... i know they had it as a failsafe. i had a phantom 1 till 1 week ago.
Well 'Buddy' if you knew your platform you would know that manual RTH could be initiated simply by turning off the remote and control regained by switching back on again.
Additionally it was simple enough to set up channel off set via the Naza interface and third party S-BUS linked RX to enable a switch to be used to manually trigger RTH.
My first post still stands - it's an emergency failsafe to be used in the event everything else has failed, not a 'cool - watch this Dude' landing crutch.

Well 'Buddy' if you knew your platform you would know that manual RTH could be initiated simply by turning off the remote and control regained by switching back on again.
Additionally it was simple enough to set up channel off set via the Naza interface and third party S-BUS linked RX to enable a switch to be used to manually trigger RTH.
My first post still stands - it's an emergency failsafe to be used in the event everything else has failed, not a 'cool - watch this Dude' landing crutch.

Not quite sure why you're trying to be an *** but i do indeed know my platform and you can also assign a switch on the dji TX to initiate failsafe rth without 3rd party... anyhoo if you want your opinion to be right . .. it is, its your opinion.

Have a fun day.

Not quite sure why you're trying to be an *** but i do indeed know my platform and you can also assign a switch on the dji TX to initiate failsafe rth without 3rd party... anyhoo if you want your opinion to be right . .. it is, its your opinion.

Have a fun day.
Sooooo.......it did (does) have a RTH button then? As you say, it just has to be assigned in the software then it is a dedicated hardware switch.

Not sure what you were getting at in post #54 then - oh well.

Sooooo.......it did (does) have a RTH button then? As you say, it just has to be assigned in the software then it is a dedicated hardware switch.

Not sure what you were getting at in post #54 then - oh well.
My whole point is that back in the day it was a "Failsafe" ... as in which you describe ... to be used in a situation that you are not in full control/lost orientation etc etc ...

Aircraft now includes RTH as a button or feature and is encouraged as a function (in the manual and guides etc) the fact it has a dedicated button on the remote (since the P3) shows how much emphasis they put into the use of RTH not as a "Failsafe" but as a button to be used.

Active track features could be thoigh of in the same way really ... you're relying on the aircraft and software to fly for you ... would you say its a bad idea to use them too ? I doubt it.

Anyway, as i said before, you're entitled to your opinion, thats fine. Just bare in mind that not everyone has the same opinion. especially when DJI advertise RTH and flight automomy as a function (both to be used with caution)

Gettig back on topic ...
Did anyone sign up for the DJI Beta firmware project? i did but hav'nt heard yet ... there are 21 spaces left on the current offering but it might be an idea to register on the Beta forum if you're accepted :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ