DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID’s efficacy

orionshooter

Reactions
A YouTuber suggests that RID is only minimally detectable via Android and even less so via IOS devices. Comments?

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Wonder how much does it cost to implement RID? About $100M?

Seems like such a waste if no one can actually use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starz
Wonder how much does it cost to implement RID? About $100M?

Seems like such a waste is no one can actually use it.
Yeah but . . . Just think of the peace of mind the public will enjoy knowing they have the ability to actively track this “ongoing threat.”
🤨

As long as you have unobstructed line of sight with the drone it's easy to pick one beacon. My detection record is 3500 m with just a tablet. Ofc it's not actively tracking the drone at that distance, but one beacon is enough to catch the pilot's location.

With a dedicated device and a proper set antenna, way more than that can be achieved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the remote ID signal transmit where the 'launch' took place.... not where the controller IS at that moment? From what I saw on the Drone Scanner App as I tracked myself, it showed my launch point and lines indicating my flight path. However, when I moved from my launch point, my new location was NOT indicated on the App. So..... in theory..... I could launch and fly hundreds of feet away, and then move to another location with my controller and those who are tracking me can't find me (my person). They can go to the indicated launch point (with their pitch forks and torches to slay the evil ogre) but I have moved from that point. This will, however, not benefit me if I need to use Return to Home. Not that I'm trying to do anything illegal, just posing a scenario. Looking forward to feedback.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the remote ID signal transmit where the 'launch' took place.... not where the controller IS at that moment? From what I saw on the Drone Scanner App as I tracked myself, it showed my launch point and lines indicating my flight path. However, when I moved from my launch point, my new location was NOT indicated on the App. So..... in theory..... I could launch and fly hundreds of feet away, and then move to another location with my controller and those who are tracking me can't find me (my person). They can go to the indicated launch point (with their pitch forks and torches to slay the evil ogre) but I have moved from that point. This will, however, not benefit me if I need to use Return to Home. Not that I'm trying to do anything illegal, just posing a scenario. Looking forward to feedback.

If you have the GPS engaged on your controller/smartphone, it will transmit those coordinates.

On the other hand, if you have the GPS disabled, it will only transmit the takeoff location.

I think in the USA it is mandatory to have the GPS enabled or else it doesn't let you take off, in Europe is not mandatory yet.

You could update your home point right before initiating RTH

With all the hoopla regarding the “RID” debacle, I wasn’t going to get real worried about who would confront me until I saw the whites of their eyes. I’ll fight that battle when it occurs. Whether I win the battle(IF it turns into that)is yet to be determined.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcremona