DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Roof Top Landing - And DJI Refresh (nightmare)

Technically speaking, I think DJI completed the terms of their refresh agreement. They are required to ship within a certain amount of time and in a manner which will get it to you quickly. Once they have done that they no longer have control of the process. At that point it becomes a issue with the carrier. In fact if they ship it fob origin it's no longer their issue whatsoever, it could be your problem to negotiate directly with the carrier for replacement. Most retail organizations do not ship it that way but keep in mind that it is possible. In any case, they shipped in a timely manner. I have had this type of thing happen before. When the item is cheap the vendor will often times ship before the problem is resolved, but when it is this expensive you really can't expect that same type of repsonse.

The thing is, UPS themselves said it was lost, so at that point it is between DJI and UPS to resolve the issue between themselves independent of issue between DJI and OP, particularly when DJI required a signature and UPS didn't acquire one from recipient.

this is why DJI has the customer sign for it....so DJI certainly knows hes not trying to pull a fast one....if the lost drone does suddenly appear, he will have to sign for it...for him to wait until UPS figures out where it it, i agree with him, its not his problem....DJI, in my opinion should send him out another replacement asap....it could take months(or never), for UPS to find it....I had a similar thing happen to me with UPS, and the retailer immediately sent me another one....The original item was never found...

Hey that was great of them. Did the original cost $1500? That's really good service and very nice but to expect that from every company regardless of the circumstances... I've personally seen ups drop off without a signature even though one was expected... Besides, so DJI sends him another one, he signs for it, and the next day UPS delivers another one. What is DJI's recourse after that? None. If you are shipped something by mistake, you are not required to return it.

Hey that was great of them. Did the original cost $1500? That's really good service and very nice but to expect that from every company regardless of the circumstances... I've personally seen ups drop off without a signature even though one was expected... Besides, so DJI sends him another one, he signs for it, and the next day UPS delivers another one. What is DJI's recourse after that? None. If you are shipped something by mistake, you are not required to return it.
What is being missed here is, DJI contracts UPS to deliver. DJI pays UPS to insure the shipment. UPS Loses the shipment. The ONLY one on the hook is UPS. Insurance will Pay DJI, so they are out NOTHING. If UPS ships a package thats in in the system as lost as well as a Package from the same place that is a replacement. That is still on UPS.
DJI trusted in UPS, DJI knows the item will be either returned from UPS if it later is found, OR they be receive a check for the value. they dont stand to lose ANYTHING shipping a replacement drone right away. They do stand a chance of losing a $1500 customer for making him wait for nothing.
Why not keep the only person in this whole thing happy That you should WANT to keep happy, because HE is where you income comes from. This goes for DJI AND UPS.

Reactions: audi2000
Hers the problem for DJI. They sent out a new drone, UPS lost it. I presume that you think they should send you another one? What happens when UPS figures out their mistake and delivers the first one to you as well? As far as DJI knows, the crash was totally your fault. You initiated care refresh and by all accounts they really stepped up to the plate to take care of you. Now you say that you didn't get your package even though UPS initially said that it was delivered, correct?

Yea I'm not giving you a $1500 drone until I'm certain that I'll get the first one back either. For all they know, it was stolen off your porch. Maybe you're scamming them. They don't know. All they know is that it was picked up at their facility and sent to you. It sucks but this should have been a huge DJI is awesome thread! Maybe shut some of the cacophony of "DJI customer service sucks" down for a minute or two.

No I never received the package and nor did UPS ever deliver it, or claim to deliver it.

So with that out of the way;

When DJI sends the drone it is signature required. However UPS didn’t deliver it. It was lost. As a result, I had to get DJI to initiate the investigation. I can’t. I’m not the shipper. I just reported that it never arrived.

Since DJI is the shipper, they tell UPS to find and return the package. They do not tell UPS to find and deliver the package. It could be damaged, etc so they stop the delivery process by initiating the investigation. The outcome will either be a found drone retuned to DJI or a settled insurance payment according to the shipper contract.

I’m just the customer whom sits here and waits for all that process to complete, however long it takes. Once it’s done, DJI says they’ll then send me another drone. In the mean time I sit with **** in hand.

What is being missed here is, DJI contracts UPS to deliver. DJI pays UPS to insure the shipment. UPS Loses the shipment. The ONLY one on the hook is UPS. Insurance will Pay DJI, so they are out NOTHING. If UPS ships a package thats in in the system as lost as well as a Package from the same place that is a replacement. That is still on UPS.
DJI trusted in UPS, DJI knows the item will be either returned from UPS if it later is found, OR they be receive a check for the value. they dont stand to lose ANYTHING shipping a replacement drone right away. They do stand a chance of losing a $1500 customer for making him wait for nothing.
Why not keep the only person in this whole thing happy That you should WANT to keep happy, because HE is where you income comes from. This goes for DJI AND UPS.

Yup. That is my point in a nutshell. I have nothing to do with the process at all. I’m now just stuck waiting needlessly.

Yup. That is my point in a nutshell. I have nothing to do with the process at all. I’m now just stuck waiting needlessly.

So again, you expect DJI to send you another drone?

I see your points, both of you, about who's out something and who isn't. There's another point of view and that's who's at fault?

1. You crashed your drone flying WAY out of line of sight, creating the situation in the first place.

2. UPS because they suck and lost the package.

DJI did nothing wrong but yet they are expected to fix it.

Oh and I disagree with you on making a claim against the shipper. I made FedEx pay me for a truck topper they damaged in shipping. I also disagree on the time frame, most likely DJI will give UPS a couple days but will then reissue a new drone. Again, I get that it sucks but I think your expectations are a bit high considering you've waited, what 3 or 4 days so far? Big deal. I have to read this again because you make it sound as if you've been screwed over and have been waiting for your replacement FOREVER and those evil jerks at DJI wouldn't send you another $1500 drone 5 minutes after it was discovered to be lost. Should they have hand delivered it in a red bow as well? They could send one Monday and boom you'll have it Tuesday, less than a week later. Not too shabby in my opinion.

When you've waited weeks with no return contact from DJI then I'll join you in condemning them. Looks like they've responded to you immediately from the initial incident, to the subsequent loss of the package by UPS and I'm confident you'll hear from them Money or Tuesday. All in all not that horrible of service in my opinion. Again, none of this is their fault, now is it?

In any case, this is obviously just an intellectual exercise for me. It is unfortunate but it's a toy that you won't have for a few days. Hardly something worth getting upset about.

I think the issue he has is that he admits he broke it, He PAID for refresh warranty, and PAID another $120ish (i think he said) to expedite the exchange, so he wouldnt have to wait a week or two. so at the very least, IF he waits, he should get the last money back as well. No matter what happens now he should get "expidite" money back. since he didnt get the EXACT THING the money was for.

I think the issue he has is that he admits he broke it, He PAID for refresh warranty, and PAID another $120ish (i think he said) to expedite the exchange, so he wouldnt have to wait a week or two. so at the very least, IF he waits, he should get the last money back as well. No matter what happens now he should get "expidite" money back. since he didnt get the EXACT THING the money was for.

Hmmm... I would co sign that suggestion if I were in charge. I'm not sure he paid an expedition fee but decided to ship on his own dime. Expedited replacement means that they won't bother to check the drone over and quote repairs. On occasion, the repairs to a crashed drone are less than the replacement fee. DJI will quote you the repairs first and you can pay the smaller amount or choose to pay for the replacement. $120 is the replacement fee. I believe that DJI pays for shipping both ways regardless of your decision. I know, I come off as some fanboy or whatever but I've used this service and have had warranty service with DJI as well. They've treated me very well and for their part, they turned both of my products over very quickly. I did feel that the shipping was slow but I don't expect NDA on their dime.

I see your points, both of you, about who's out something and who isn't. There's another point of view and that's who's at fault?

1. You crashed your drone flying WAY out of line of sight, creating the situation in the first place.

Oh and I disagree with you on making a claim against the shipper. I made FedEx pay me for a truck topper they damaged in shipping. I also disagree on the time frame, most likely DJI will give UPS a couple days but will then reissue a new drone. Again, I get that it sucks but I think your expectations are a bit high considering you've waited, what 3 or 4 days so far? Big deal. I have to read this again because you make it sound as if you've been screwed over and have been waiting for your replacement FOREVER and those evil jerks at DJI wouldn't send you another $1500 drone 5 minutes after it was discovered to be lost. Should they have hand delivered it in a red bow as well? They could send one Monday and boom you'll have it Tuesday, less than a week later. Not too shabby in my opinion.

When you've waited weeks with no return contact from DJI then I'll join you in condemning them. Looks like they've responded to you immediately from the initial incident, to the subsequent loss of the package by UPS and I'm confident you'll hear from them Money or Tuesday. All in all not that horrible of service in my opinion. Again, none of this is their fault, now is it?

In any case, this is obviously just an intellectual exercise for me. It is unfortunate but it's a toy that you won't have for a few days. Hardly something worth getting upset about.

Wow dude. Like I said. Whether my own **** fault or not is irrelevant. You can disagree all you want but it doesn’t change my issue in the slightest. My information is from DJI. I can’t call UPS and do anything. They won’t even release investigation updates. It is entirely in DJI hands. It’s is entirely up to them what happens.

Let’s say UPS finds it this weekend. They’re not going to send it to me. They’re going to return it to dji. That’s according to dji and ups.

Then the best I can hope for is them to send another to me early next weeks. So best case scenario I’m only out 7-10 days.

DJI told me it’s a minimum of two weeks and a max of eight.

Under all circumstances, UPS will never t be delivering my the drone that was lost (or found).

I really don’t understand any of your points back to me because they’re not based on anything I’ve said. Could I be impatient. Sure. That’s my prerogative. But I’m the one that paid for expedited service on top of care refresh buddy. And it’s not expedited when lost now is it? DJI hasn’t offered to refund that either.

So I’m just waiting. And will continue to wait. Until they decide what to do. Which could be Monday or seven weeks from Monday.

Jeez.

Wow dude. Like I said. Whether my own **** fault or not is irrelevant. You can disagree all you want but it doesn’t change my issue in the slightest. My information is from DJI. I can’t call UPS and do anything. They won’t even release investigation updates. It is entirely in DJI hands. It’s is entirely up to them what happens.

Let’s say UPS finds it this weekend. They’re not going to send it to me. They’re going to return it to dji. That’s according to dji and ups.

Then the best I can hope for is them to send another to me early next weeks. So best case scenario I’m only out 7-10 days.

DJI told me it’s a minimum of two weeks and a max of eight.

Under all circumstances, UPS will never t be delivering my the drone that was lost (or found).

I really don’t understand any of your points back to me because they’re not based on anything I’ve said. Could I be impatient. Sure. That’s my prerogative. But I’m the one that paid for expedited service on top of care refresh buddy. And it’s not expedited when lost now is it? DJI hasn’t offered to refund that either.

So I’m just waiting. And will continue to wait. Until they decide what to do. Which could be Monday or seven weeks from Monday.

Jeez.

What "expedited service" are you talking about? Didn't you pay the $120 fee? It's the same fee regardless. The difference is you waived the inspection. That's it. So as soon as they got your drone, they shipped a new one. Period. As far as I can tell you didn't pay anything "extra"... I've used this service and had two options, standard and expedited.

Standard, they get your drone, check it out, send you an estimate of repairs vs replacement. You decide, pay them and they either repair your old drone or send you a new one depending on your decision.

Expedited, you send your old drone, pay the fee and as soon as they get it, they send a new one back to you.

It looks like they did all of that very well in my opinion. UPS screwed up, not DJI. Technically, DJI isn't obligated to do anything. They can wait out UPS and take care of you once that is finished regardless of how long it takes. I've read the service agreement and I'm no lawyer but I don't see DJI's liability in all of this. They can legitimately wait for UPS and deal with you after.

Again, I don't care what they do. Outs strictly a conversation, a process exercise at this point. Most were taking your stance, so I adopted the opposing side to foster a dialogue. It's not as if anything we say here will affect the outcome in the slightest. DJI being a large corporation will most likely send you another drone and deal with UPS on the back end. I wager it's their policy to give it a few days before making any concessions. They have a lot of experience in this area and I'm sure there's a percentage that finds outs way back. Oh and I say "concessions", because, let their be no mistake, they don't owe you anything. They can wait on shipping insurance.

On a positive note, if you haven't had your drone over 14 days, see if they would cancel your replacement, credit your original purchase and sell you a new drone? Just a thought.

I had a similar malfunction yesterday with my Mav 2 Pro. Flying slowly around my yard to evaluate how obstacle avoidance worked. Would carefylly approach a small pine tree and it would signal obstacle and go into hover. I would then back it off and go to another tree. Did 3-4 evolutions and it worked perfectly. Fifth evolution it signaled “Obstacle” but rather than hover it immediately signaled “Landing” and would not respond to controls. Started landing, hit the broader lower pine tree branches and crashed. On its way to DJI with ESC error

Interesting, the landing phase can normally be interrupted by giving up left stick, with the exception of critical battery or entry into a NFZ. One of the FW updates on the MP1 had a bug whereby once the A/C started to land you were committed. The next FW update added the interrupt with up left stick. (Mode 2)

Testing the MP2, up Left stick does cancel the 'Landing' phase. Will have to try a test today with a critical battery warning and see what that actually does.

*** Update ***

I tested the MP2 with the scenario that it encountered a 'false ground' i.e. simulated flying over a roof, it won't interpret that as 'ground' unless you are applying left stick down, otherwise it sees it as an obstacle. Left stick down and proximity to something is interprated as ground and then the MP2 will go into 'landing mode', any uptick will cancel landing and the MP2 returns to the hover.

I then tested critical battery landing, once the Critical Battery warning appears and you ignore the 5 second count down, it again goes into landing mode, again, left stick up, causes the aircraft to ascend. letting go of the stick the aircraft now goes directly to landing mode. Further use of uptick holds off the landing, presumably until the battery dies completely and I wasn't prepared to go that far!

Make of that what you will, but it looks like a bit of inexperience and some blind panic! A learning experience nevertheless.

Last edited:
Interesting, the landing phase can normally be interrupted by giving up left stick, with the exception of critical battery or entry into a NFZ. One of the FW updates on the MP1 had a bug whereby once the A/C started to land you were committed. The next FW update added the interrupt with up left stick. (Mode 2)

Testing the MP2, up Left stick does cancel the 'Landing' phase. Will have to try a test today with a critical battery warning and see what that actually does.

*** Update ***

I tested the MP2 with the scenario that it encountered a 'false ground' i.e. simulated flying over a roof, it won't interpret that as 'ground' unless you are applying left stick down, otherwise it sees it as an obstacle. Left stick down and proximity to something is interprated as ground and then the MP2 will go into 'landing mode', any uptick will cancel landing and the MP2 returns to the hover.

I then tested critical battery landing, once the Critical Battery warning appears and you ignore the 5 second count down, it again goes into landing mode, again, left stick up, causes the aircraft to ascend. letting go of the stick the aircraft now goes directly to landing mode. Further use of uptick holds off the landing, presumably until the battery dies completely and I wasn't prepared to go that far!

Make of that what you will, but it looks like a bit of inexperience and some blind panic! A learning experience nevertheless.

Funny, I ran some tests as well and came to the same conclusions. I even tried it in Sport mode with the same results over a flat roof. I didn't bother with critical battery as he doesn't state that as a factor. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and wish he would post his logs. If it is the fault of the AC, I for one would like to know about it.

*** Update ***

Good “test”.

My event was real world and no panic. Not sure why you’d want to throw the body slam but hey, whatever. I have too many flights and hours under the belt. Plus. I have controller logs. Obstacles notice and left stick up, had no impact. The bird landed.

But I do appreciate the effort.

Dji has my old bird, and my incident report. They’ll look it over. I just won’t hear back about it.

When you get tired of the body slams, you can tell them they are better than you (dont have to mean it) They will add a feather to their cap and move along! :D

Reactions: Rnl

Who are you????

*** Update ***

The "false ground" of the lower branches of the pine possibly did register as an obstacle in my instance, as well as the tree in front of the drone. The remote displayed "Obstacle" and then immediately went into "Landing" w/o any stick inputs and did not respond to the red pause button before crashing. I think there is possibly a bug in that when lower sensors detect an obstacle for some reason they automatically initiate landing in some instances.

Who are you????

Just an individual wasting some time on the internet engaging in a thought exercise like I said. I chose this side of the debate as a way to completely understand the OP's arguments against DJI and their policies in this matter. I have no real interest in this situation or it's outcome other than as a vehicle to further my own understanding of diverse member's opinions in the matter at hand.

So far I've ascertained that members believe that the OP should be given another drone because;

1. DJI has an obligation to him because they engaged the shipper and are responsible for their agents malfeasance.
2. Other companies routinely supply replacements in such cases.
3. It's not the OP's fault that the shipping company misplaced his property. As a side note, I'm wondering if the tables would be turned if the original drone had been lost on its way to DJI or because DJI also provides that phase of the transaction as well, they would still be at fault?
4. He's the customer and they should just do what he wants or they are a bad company. Basically, the customer is always right.
5. They have nothing to lose because eventually they'll get paid by the shipper or get their property back.

All very interesting points. My car breaks down. The dealership has a service pick up and deliver it to them. They repair it and hires that same service to return it. On the way back, there is an accident and the car is destroyed. Must the dealership immediately replace my car or would they be justified in waiting until the transport company or their insurance pays them or at least commits to payment?

I honestly don't think there's a right or wrong answer other than what's legally required.

The "false ground" of the lower branches of the pine possibly did register as an obstacle in my instance, as well as the tree in front of the drone. The remote displayed "Obstacle" and then immediately went into "Landing" w/o any stick inputs and did not respond to the red pause button before crashing. I think there is possibly a bug in that when lower sensors detect an obstacle for some reason they automatically initiate landing in some instances.

Ooo....this is what I'm actually interested in.

1. DJI has an obligation to him because they engaged the shipper and are responsible for their agents malfeasance.

That is exactly true. It is that way, because the shipper is the controlling agent. The carrier responsibility lies with its agent.

3. It's not the OP's fault that the shipping company misplaced his property. As a side note, I'm wondering if the tables would be turned if the original drone had been lost on its way to DJI or because DJI also provides that phase of the transaction as well, they would still be at fault?

In this case, I am the shipper and I am responsible with my freight agent. I would have a case with UPS and they would have to find or pay insurance value contract we established at ship time. I would NOT be asking DJI for anything. They wouldn't have even received my drone yet.

5. They have nothing to lose because eventually they'll get paid by the shipper or get their property back.

This is my point.

All very interesting points. My car breaks down. The dealership has a service pick up and deliver it to them. They repair it and hires that same service to return it. On the way back, there is an accident and the car is destroyed. Must the dealership immediately replace my car or would they be justified in waiting until the transport company or their insurance pays them or at least commits to payment?

Not even a close analogy, apples and tuna fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: audi2000
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones