DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Roof Top Landing - And DJI Refresh (nightmare)

No sir. The OP presented this incident as the drone initiating the landing without his input. I was testing for that possibility. I have full confidence that my drone will land if I ask it to.

See my reply to the analysis. I know I didn't attempt to land. period. And I think the graphing shows that as well. It went down on its own, and I (may have) very briefly went oops, down throttle to full up within milliseconds...

See my reply to the analysis. I know I didn't attempt to land. period. And I think the graphing shows that as well. It went down on its own, and I (may have) very briefly went oops, down throttle to full up within milliseconds...

Whether you intended to land or not, you applied full down throttle, which is what the graph shows. And it was not milliseconds, it was over half a second. The FC did not know your intent. The VPS height is decreasing before the down throttle because of the sloping roof.

Whether you intended to land or not, you applied full down throttle, which is what the graph shows. And it was not milliseconds, it was over half a second. The FC did not know your intent. The VPS height is decreasing before the down throttle because of the sloping roof.
So a half second (500ms) was all it took to take me down. well, so be it. Like at said on my original post, felt like it wasn't me, but wasn't going to argue it cause it could have been... (and it was)

Now I wait for DJI; and see if they see the point I'm trying to make. with fingers crossed...

Question, once a landing sequence is initiated, can it be aborted? Is there a "point of no return"?

Yes, give up stick (Left Mode 2) it will abort the landing, With critical battery as soon as you stop giving up stick it will return to landing.

He did that, If the bad one would have gotten lost on the way to DJI, Then what? DJI still has money, and the replacement drone.
It was AFTER the OP met HIS obligation that the problem begins.
Yes, give up stick (Left Mode 2) it will abort the landing, With critical battery as soon as you stop giving up stick it will return to landing.

And that applies all the way to the ground? As in I'm say 2' above the ground and give it full stick down? At any point up to the motors shutting off, I can abort the landing? We used to call those "touch and go's... So basically, I can touch the ground and them give it up stick and it'll stop landing and take off, right? Hmmm... I did not know that, thanks.

Until the aircraft settles on the ground, up stick will about the landing.

This turned into a log conversation. So landing was triggered, and OP throttle up and the drone rose and hit the side or spire and crashed, as what I can tell from the video. It did not land and then slid down. Landing was aborted.
It's not DJI's fault that UPS lost the drone. But they do have investigate why and replace the drone for the OP. Unless the package can be located, DJI won't be inclined to send another $1500 drone. Otherwise, this thread would go a different way, OP gets 2 replacement drones for the price of 1.
I guess OP has to wait till the drone arrives and maybe try to get a refund on the expedited fee, cos the OP did not receive the package in the expected time frame.

I have had two shipments from B&H get lost; FexEx. They both stopped at Label Created or something like that. I had to wait until the expected arrival day passed before B&H would even look into it. They sent replacements after that but it sure was frustrating. I never found out what happened to the originals. OP, I feel your pain.
That happened to me for my HTC.

Back when DJI really had CS problems, I had bad communications with them for minor stuff but they did me a solid for what had to be a refurb gimbal on my P3A, but charged me only for a repair. My issue with them is asking to send replacement props with the repair and charge me for it. That way I'd save on their ridiculous shipping fees. I never got them, ended getting them from Best Buy.
I thought they didn't send my camera cap/gimbal lock but found it at the bottom of the box over a year later.

Last edited:
New drone on its way. Arrives tomorrow. They called this morning and said they’ll continue to trace with UPS and have recalled the shipment so if UPS finds it, it goes back to DJI. This was my point all along. They finally agree and are sending another. I have the tracking number and its on its way. Shipping from Cerritos California to Los Angeles California. Done!

Fingers crossed that UPS doesn’t lose this one! One can only imagine the nightmare that would entail.

Reactions: superdave5050
Glad you got your replacement drone! One possible explanation for their waiting -- Many large companies do not pay the extra carrier insurance. They instead have a 3rd party insurance that covers this. UPS would be on the hook for the first $100 and the 3rd party for the remaining. The 3rd party insurance companies usually have set procedures to follow before they will agree to pay. Our company has used various services over the years, but our shipments are 10K - 15K. Regardless, once the UPS exception was confirmed DJI had very little risk of losing out.

What an absolute cluster !@#$ this thread became. OP, I'm sorry you had to put up with the level of grief some of these folks threw at you. As if it's not enough of a punch in the gut to lose your bird to an accident, but to be constantly cross examined despite you not claiming to be "wronged" during the accident is just bananas!

Knowing all this now, I'd say the next person with a similar story should just skip the crash details, which aren't relevant to your real issue (despite the rest of us benefiting from learning about the accident details).

All that said, the simple answer is that DJI should have offered to send a 2nd drone immediately if OP agrees to a credit card hold pending the outcome of the UPS investigation. Amazon, Nest, Apple and most other companies do this all the time with advance exchanges. "We'll send the replacement first, you return the broken one within X days or we charge you for it". DJI could have simply said "if you receive the first one and don't either refuse delivery or return it, we will bill you for it".

This would have made OP happy, covered their risk and had a happy ending. Instead DJI look like petty A$$&*les making OP sit and spin despite paying for expedited service.

Well I sent my M2Z to DJI to repair. Sent it to UPS Monday noon, reached Talahassee and left there Tuesday 10am on its way west. Tracking hadn't shown any activity since. It should have past the panhandle before Michael caused any issues. I hope UPS didn't lose it.
It is supposed to arrive at DJI EOD Monday. We'll see.

Well I sent my M2Z to DJI to repair. Sent it to UPS Monday noon, reached Talahassee and left there Tuesday 10am on its way west. Tracking hadn't shown any activity since. It should have past the panhandle before Michael caused any issues. I hope UPS didn't lose it.
It is supposed to arrive at DJI EOD Monday. We'll see.

It may be delayed a day or two if they had to shut down operations for the hurricane, but unlikely it’s lost. Wait till Monday and check again.

The truck should have had time to get past the storm's path. UPS's service alert said local deliveries were suspended in that area, but no mention of passing through. Usually they track stops along the way, which is why I'm a little concerned.

They probably just held everything at the depots for a day or two. Keep faith till you know there’s a problem.

Friday 10/12 11pm, UPS status changed to 'Jacksonville - In Transit' though Tuesday 10am status was Jacksonville - Departure Scan'
So who knows where it is at this fine Sunday afternoon, 40 hours from last 'in transit' status change.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27