DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rookie mistake/ crash

I couldn't agree more. The air is difficult to hand catch for sure.

I'll test again today, but can I override all the safety sensors and autoland by leaving it in sport mode when I come in to land. Say if I just bring it in to hover and then grab and turn?
Sorry, I disagree - the MA is simple to hand catch, you just need to avoid the downward facing sensors & shut off the throttle once you have hold... piece of cake!

Hey. Sorry to hear about your crash. Just an FYI you don't need to switch to sports mode or disable sensors to hand catch. Hover the bird at arms length pointing away from you n hold down the left throttle stick on the remote controller n keep it held down. Hold out your palm under the bird while doing this and it will land safely in your hand. It'll resist for a second but will then land. I launch n catch like this all the time.

Hope your bird flies again!

Thanks Ronan

I approach the landing Mavic Air from the side where it doesn't have sensors, when doing hand recovery.

Difficult to hand catch? *shrug*

To each their own...but I haven't found it difficult...even in fairly heavy winds... Worst situation was when my drone was hanging over a cliff near a water fall and both the front and back sensors stopped the drone from flying back from the edge so I could land. Eventually, I just reached over the cliff and hand-landed, but I could have turned off the sensors if needed.

Hey. Sorry to hear about your crash. Just an FYI you don't need to switch to sports mode or disable sensors to hand catch. Hover the bird at arms length pointing away from you n hold down the left throttle stick on the remote controller n keep it held down. Hold out your palm under the bird while doing this and it will land safely in your hand. It'll resist for a second but will then land. I launch n catch like this all the time.

Hope your bird flies again!

Thanks Ronan

I concur with this...

Worst situation was when my drone was hanging over a cliff near a water fall and both the front and back sensors stopped the drone from flying back from the edge so I could land. Eventually, I just reached over the cliff and hand-landed, but I could have turned off the sensors if needed.

I can relate to that...the pressure you feel when it doesn't want to land where you planned to, and you have to figure out why, and decide what to do...especially when the low battery alarm is beeping away, and you're getting the warning that there is only enough power to safely land!!! I was flying from of a table, and when I flew my drone back, I saw that someone had spread out their lunch on the table, and I had to look for an alternate spot, with low battery. Had a good ending, but it was any eye opener!!

Reactions: Shon
I was practicing hand take off and Landings at my house this afternoon and flying around a bit in between. Eventually let the battery hit it's RTH level and as it was decending I went out to catch it. Well about 6 ft off the ground motors shut and and it bounced off the asphalt. ? Lesson learned today. Fortunately I had a ND filter on and since the camera was pointed straight down it took the blow and shattered. Gimbal needed a calibration after but seems fine now. Wasn't sitting level after the crash and seemed to have a twitch to it. Seems ok, will recharge and check everything tomorrow.

Hopefully someone will read this and learn from my mistake and remember if you hand launch, that is your zero point. ☹
Dji drone always check and ask for confirmation before landing..your taking off point is not the reason for the incident imo..

Reactions: dannybgoode
I couldn't agree more. The air is difficult to hand catch for sure.

I'll test again today, but can I override all the safety sensors and autoland by leaving it in sport mode when I come in to land. Say if I just bring it in to hover and then grab and turn?
Always do that backthen..catch and flip..??

No - the log shows what happened. Your recollection of switching to sport mode is incorrect - you switched to P-GPS, with the height sensor functioning. As a result the FC concluded that it had landed and shut down the motors. OSD_groundOrSky went from Sky to Ground and OSD_isMotorUp went from True to False.

View attachment 74580

Personally I think that the FC is over-enthusiastic about declaring a landing without a more sustained period of down throttle, but the problem is likely that it detected no descent during the final 2.6 seconds of down throttle.
Sir,
With all the respect I can muster......you know your ****. I have read and tried to decode what on earth much of DJI's logging reveals.

You are the man.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos