DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rookie mistake/ crash

Beckty

Reactions
I was practicing hand take off and Landings at my house this afternoon and flying around a bit in between. Eventually let the battery hit it's RTH level and as it was decending I went out to catch it. Well about 6 ft off the ground motors shut and and it bounced off the asphalt. ? Lesson learned today. Fortunately I had a ND filter on and since the camera was pointed straight down it took the blow and shattered. Gimbal needed a calibration after but seems fine now. Wasn't sitting level after the crash and seemed to have a twitch to it. Seems ok, will recharge and check everything tomorrow.

Hopefully someone will read this and learn from my mistake and remember if you hand launch, that is your zero point. ☹️

Hopefully someone will read this and learn from my mistake and remember if you hand launch, that is your zero point. ☹
Just like a real plane, you can launch and land anywhere.
Hand launching did not cause your incident.

More details please. How low was the battery? Etc. maybe post your logs for analysis to be sure of the reason.

More details please. How low was the battery? Etc. maybe post your logs for analysis to be sure of the reason.
13%batt. Switched to sport mode to disable bottom sensors so I could grab the drone. Literally the exact spot I let go for the hand launch was where the motors shut down. I just wasn't there to catch it yet.

13%batt. Switched to sport mode to disable bottom sensors so I could grab the drone
It might still be of use to analyze the flight record.
I suspect that the battery’s low voltage may have initiated the shutoff of motors since the decline is rapid and accelerates if you get down below 15-20% battery power.
Did the bird try to auto land or RTH before this? Maybe it was the switch to Sport Mode that allowed it.

It might still be of use to analyze the flight record.
I suspect that the battery’s low voltage may have initiated the shutoff of motors since the decline is rapid and accelerates if you get down below 15-20% battery power.
Did the bird try to auto land or RTH before this? Maybe it was the switch to Sport Mode that allowed it.
Bird was doing an auto RTH. I cancelled it while still higher up. Don't remember elevation. Because I knew the bottom sensors would fight me on hand landing I cancelled return to home, swapped to sport mode and continued to bring it down. I was lowering with my left handand reaching with my right when it shut down. I'll try and pull/upload the logs. Was flying on a WiFi only iPad so they don't show up yet. Need to get it on WiFi and refresh my list.

Makes me wonder if th drone was inadvertently given the shutdown instruction from the controller. Again see if you can get the logs.

log i show on that link doesnt show anything wierd other than motor obstructed twice mid flight

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-04_[15-20-42].txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
log i show on that link doesnt show anything wierd other than motor obstructed twice mid flight

No - the log shows what happened. Your recollection of switching to sport mode is incorrect - you switched to P-GPS, with the height sensor functioning. As a result the FC concluded that it had landed and shut down the motors. OSD_groundOrSky went from Sky to Ground and OSD_isMotorUp went from True to False.

Personally I think that the FC is over-enthusiastic about declaring a landing without a more sustained period of down throttle, but the problem is likely that it detected no descent during the final 2.6 seconds of down throttle.

Here is the big problem I have with DJI trying to make some of the drones too idiot-proof. It ends up doing the opposite. What I mean is the landing procedure for the Spark, Mavic Air, and Mavic Pro compared to Phantom 3, Phantom 4, and Inspire 2.

With the Phantom and Inspire the craft is under my direct control during landing all the way to the ground. I can feather in a super gentle landing with these craft and even hover an inch off the ground if I want to.

With the Spark and Mavic, it goes into that auto-land feature once it is within range of the ground and to me that sucks. The auto landing is harsher than I can do manually. It also is much more difficult to do a hand catch. Hand catch with the Phantom is wonderful. Even the huge Inspire is easier to hand catch.

Here is the big problem I have with DJI trying to make some of the drones too idiot-proof. It ends up doing the opposite. What I mean is the landing procedure for the Spark, Mavic Air, and Mavic Pro compared to Phantom 3, Phantom 4, and Inspire 2.

With the Phantom and Inspire the craft is under my direct control during landing all the way to the ground. I can feather in a super gentle landing with these craft and even hover an inch off the ground if I want to.

With the Spark and Mavic, it goes into that auto-land feature once it is within range of the ground and to me that sucks. The auto landing is harsher than I can do manually. It also is much more difficult to do a hand catch. Hand catch with the Phantom is wonderful. Even the huge Inspire is easier to hand catch.
I couldn't agree more. The air is difficult to hand catch for sure.

I'll test again today, but can I override all the safety sensors and autoland by leaving it in sport mode when I come in to land. Say if I just bring it in to hover and then grab and turn?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan