DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Altitude

WBBG

Reactions
Hi
, I recently bought a dji mavic mini and I am more than happy with my purchase. I fly my drone with RTH Altitude of 80m. So i have the following question. If i take off from a building with a hight of 30m for example will the drone RTH at hight of 110 total altitude,or it will just raise to 80 as i have taken off from normal ground level. Thanks beforehand. Safe flights.
Best regards,
Bogdan

It will rise 80m from where it took off from. If you are higher than that it will return at what ever height you are at.
Welcome to the forum . Thumbswayup

Hi
, I recently bought a dji mavic mini and I am more than happy with my purchase. I fly my drone with RTH Altitude of 80m. So i have the following question. If i take off from a building with a hight of 30m for example will the drone RTH at hight of 110 total altitude,or it will just raise to 80 as i have taken off from normal ground level. Thanks beforehand.

RTH altitude will be 110m. Drone does not take into account height above ground level, considers ground level the height it's launched from. You can also see that in the height telemetry as soon as you launch.

RTH will be at an altitude from ground of 110m. When you take off the drone takes that altitude as 0m. If you fly out from the edge of the building and down you'll get a 'negative altitude'

welcome to the forum

Reactions: dirkclod
RTH will be at an altitude from ground of 110m. When you take off the drone takes that altitude as 0m. If you fly out from the edge of the building and down you'll get a 'negative altitude'
Thanks for the help. :)
Happy flying

Reactions: scro
RTH altitude will be 110m. Drone does not take into account height above ground level, considers ground level the height it's launched from. You can also see that in the height telemetry as soon as you launch.
Thanks for the help. :)
Happy flying

Hi
, I recently bought a dji mavic mini and I am more than happy with my purchase. I fly my drone with RTH Altitude of 80m. So i have the following question. If i take off from a building with a hight of 30m for example will the drone RTH at hight of 110 total altitude,or it will just raise to 80 as i have taken off from normal ground level. Thanks beforehand. Safe flights.
Best regards,
Bogdan
Keep in mind when settings your RTH altitude is that the wind speed will likely increase with your altitude so try to keep it as low as possible.

Don't be so set in what your RTH altitude is 'set' at ... This should be something you do in setting up for each flight based on the terrain you are flying over.
Due to wind-speed increasing with altitude, and the Mav' Mini being famous for not handling wind well o_O - my suggestion is that you should look for the tallest obstacle around you (e.g. fence, tree), and set your RTH altitude to just clear that. Doing so will minimise the chance of the MM popping up into faster air if RTH is invoked. For the same reason, it is best to train yourself to fly home manually, and if coming home is flying into wind, then get the MM down as low as you can safely fly it.

Couldn’t agree more.

For some unfathomable reason so many individuals can’t comprehend that the RTH ‘feature’ is there as a failsafe - not an “OK, finished my flight now, I’ll press RTH and let it fly back and land at my feet all by itself cos it’s really cool” button!

If it is set up correctly, specifically with regard to RTH height, then it's a perfectly reasonable method to end a flight. It's the same as autonomous vehicles at present though - the law requires continuous monitoring.

If it is set up correctly, specifically with regard to RTH height, then it's a perfectly reasonable method to end a flight. It's the same as autonomous vehicles at present though - the law requires continuous monitoring.
Not in my ops manual it isn’t.

Not sure why some people are so against RTH, it's like some sort of snobbery. The manual is clear that there is smart RTH and failsafe RTH.

Right - I have no idea what the problem is. Nor, apparently, do some posters who assert that it shouldn't be used.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Not sure why some people are so against RTH, it's like some sort of snobbery. The manual is clear that there is smart RTH and failsafe RTH.
My attitude is not that it shouldn't be used, but that it should be understood in regard to how it works, what happens when it's used, and what you do when you know it's not going to get your Drone back! There are a lot of postings about drones (all Mavic models), that tell of RTH that has got the drone/owner into more trouble, rather than out of it. If Flyers treated RTH as one method to get their drone home, rather than THE method - then they would end up a better pilot all round.

Don't be so set in what your RTH altitude is 'set' at ... This should be something you do in setting up for each flight based on the terrain you are flying over.
Due to wind-speed increasing with altitude, and the Mav' Mini being famous for not handling wind well o_O - my suggestion is that you should look for the tallest obstacle around you (e.g. fence, tree), and set your RTH altitude to just clear that. Doing so will minimise the chance of the MM popping up into faster air if RTH is invoked. For the same reason, it is best to train yourself to fly home manually, and if coming home is flying into wind, then get the MM down as low as you can safely fly it.
I know that my RTH needs to be changed based on the environment, and I usually fly my drone back manually, I just wanted to learn more about the specifics about the RTH and how it work nothing more. The situation I stated above was just for an example. And thanks again for the help.

Reactions: FoxhallGH

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne