DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH always about 3 metres from take off point

i think that the maviic pro 1 and platinum were a better way of having precision landing because you had the option on take off of choosing it or not by using the tick box above the take off slider and if chosen it always attained the correct height to enable it to work rather than have to remember to go up 7m as on the mavic 2 just my thoughts on the subject
I don't think that I have ever used a slider to launch my Mavic Pro. Start the motors with the stick command, wait for the Home point to be set, then add throttle. Precision Landing is useful for RTH, but I rarely use it to land the craft, so I wait for HP to be set and just go. If an emergency, the RTH will bring the bird to me, I can handle the landing to avoid anything that has moved since launch. I also prefered my manual transmission car over the automatic. Considering that precision Landing was a oversight by DJI for the Pro2, they may not use it, either.

I don't think that I have ever used a slider to launch my Mavic Pro. Start the motors with the stick command, wait for the Home point to be set, then add throttle. Precision Landing is useful for RTH, but I rarely use it to land the craft, so I wait for HP to be set and just go. If an emergency, the RTH will bring the bird to me, I can handle the landing to avoid anything that has moved since launch. I also prefered my manual transmission car over the automatic. Considering that precision Landing was a oversight by DJI for the Pro2, they may not use it, either.
each to there own its nice to have a choice

When using precision landing I use the auto take off and it automatically raises the AC to the proper height to get its location. I have MA may be different on other models

When using precision landing I use the auto take off and it automatically raises the AC to the proper height to get its location. I have MA may be different on other models

Yep it sure is for the M2P ;)

I made the comment the other day re just how accurate the rth was. Mine always comes within 200-300mm of the home point every time. I have even tried it with a flight over 1km away and it still did the same.

I don’t use auto launch

I made the comment the other day re just how accurate the rth was. Mine always comes within 200-300mm of the home point every time. I have even tried it with a flight over 1km away and it still did the same.

I don’t use auto launch
Interesting though, the auto-launch facility in the Mavic Pro (as pointed out by @old man mavic above) gives you a tick box to tell the Mavic that you want to auto-land back at that point. The Mavic then ascends to 6 Metres ... What this actually tells us is that to do a proper precision landing, the Mavic (1 or2) has to 'know' where it took off from. If you don't allow it to go through the full proceedure to get a decent location fix (which in the case of the Mav' Pro includes ascending another 4 metres to 10 metres), before moving off, you won't get a decent spot-landing later on. Like most things in this hobby, preparation is key! You prepare for a precision landing, by doing a precision take-off ... simple as that ...

Interesting though, the auto-launch facility in the Mavic Pro (as pointed out by @old man mavic above) gives you a tick box to tell the Mavic that you want to auto-land back at that point. The Mavic then ascends to 6 Metres ... What this actually tells us is that to do a proper precision landing, the Mavic (1 or2) has to 'know' where it took off from. If you don't allow it to go through the full proceedure to get a decent location fix (which in the case of the Mav' Pro includes ascending another 4 metres to 10 metres), before moving off, you won't get a decent spot-landing later on. Like most things in this hobby, preparation is key! You prepare for a precision landing, by doing a precision take-off ... simple as that ...
thats precisely the point i was trying to make, unless you go to a certain height after take off, the precision landing feature cannot be guaranteed to be that accurate. i am not saying that it will not come back pretty close to the take off point, and even if you still want to land yourself you can cancel at any time during the descent it is up to the individual to decide how they choose to fly

Reactions: FoxhallGH
i must have been lucky so far. I will use auto launch from now on

I thought autolaunch (is that when you use the icon and then the slider) only took it up about a meter or so? For Precision Landing you need to be higher, 7 meters or so.

Also, the landing spot needs some definition. Taking off from a uniform green lawn or asphalt parking lot won't work well.

I thought autolaunch (is that when you use the icon and then the slider) only took it up about a meter or so? For Precision Landing you need to be higher, 7 meters or so.

Also, the landing spot needs some definition. Taking off from a uniform green lawn or asphalt parking lot won't work well.
on the mav pro if you do not tick the box above the slider,it will still auto launch and as you said go up about 4 to 5 ft and hover then if you do a RTH it will return pretty close to the take off point. to get the best from precision landing a landing pad is a help, but the actual reference point that the drone uses is the view it gets after the initial take off and rise to 20ft. it stores visual info and thats why it turns to the way it was pointing at take off and pauses before descending. its only after it gets some 6 ft from the ground that the downward sensors take over and it will use them to correct its position and also determine if it is a safe place to land.the use of a landing pad as you say gives some definition for the sensors on the mav 2 unless you go up over 20 ft on take off it will just hover at around 4 to5 ft as the mav pro does if precision landing was not initiated

Reactions: FoxhallGH and ff22
You're obviously, well, just a much better person than all the rest of us. I recommend we restrict posting by all other members, so we can clear the way for you superior sage advice.

BTW, I prefer a manual transmission as well, but oddly I've never thought it made me superior to everyone else, nor something worth bragging about.

Reactions: old man mavic
i must have been lucky so far. I will use auto launch from now on

Me too. I have over 200 flights on my mavic 1 I never hit the tick mark but always went to 10 meters before flying off. On RTH it always landed on the pad. An inch or so off
I will look into that box on the next flight.
Thank you all
Always learn something on here

Hello. Whenever I hit the RTH button (or the RTH screen icon) my Mavic 2 Pro will return but is always about 3 metres away from the take-off spot; I use a foldable heli-pad. I always cancel and then land manually. Is anyone else having this problem? I saw a video and the guy was describing the exact same problem with the Mavic 2. He also said the Mavic 1 didn't have this problem. Thanks.

For your M2 to land precisely it is important to make sure the HP is accurate and then rise straight and slow to about 25 feet elevation over your pad. After that, watch it land it pretty much exactly on the same spot with RTH. Also, make sure to RTH far enough away from your HP, else it will land directly.

on the mav pro if you do not tick the box above the slider,it will still auto launch and as you said go up about 4 to 5 ft and hover then if you do a RTH it will return pretty close to the take off point. to get the best from precision landing a landing pad is a help, but the actual reference point that the drone uses is the view it gets after the initial take off and rise to 20ft. it stores visual info and thats why it turns to the way it was pointing at take off and pauses before descending. its only after it gets some 6 ft from the ground that the downward sensors take over and it will use them to correct its position and also determine if it is a safe place to land.the use of a landing pad as you say gives some definition for the sensors on the mav 2 unless you go up over 20 ft on take off it will just hover at around 4 to5 ft as the mav pro does if precision landing was not initiated

Thanks to everyone for all the info in your replies. I did as suggested and it now always returns to the exact spot it took off from, so all is good. Human error on my part!!

Reactions: JDawg
Same here, I've done everything suggested in the forums, but have same problem. Always 10' off. This is with M2Zoom.

Hi LiteWeight. I followed the advice from the other members and the RTH and PL now works perfectly. My M2 now lands in the exact same spot - within millimeters - from where it took off from and it even faces the exact same direction. Please review the posts and it should correct your issues, too. Thx.

Hi LiteWeight. I followed the advice from the other members and the RTH and PL now works perfectly. My M2 now lands in the exact same spot - within millimeters - from where it took off from and it even faces the exact same direction. Please review the posts and it should correct your issues, too. Thx.

Thanks for the message. Yes, I've been through the threads (there are several on this topic), I've tried everything mentioned, still no bueno. I've given up on it, but it really doesn't matter as I hand catch most of the time anyway. If I ever need to use RTH, I have tested it enough to know it will at least get 10' from Home Point, and that is good for me.

Hello. Whenever I hit the RTH button (or the RTH screen icon) my Mavic 2 Pro will return but is always about 3 metres away from the take-off spot; I use a foldable heli-pad. I always cancel and then land manually. Is anyone else having this problem? I saw a video and the guy was describing the exact same problem with the Mavic 2. He also said the Mavic 1 didn't have this problem. Thanks.
Have had the Mavic 2 Pro less than a week (new drone pilot), and yesterday tried RTH and precision landing for the first time. Wow, impressive!! Literally can land on a dime, every time :))

Reactions: old man mavic
Have had the Mavic 2 Pro less than a week (new drone pilot), and yesterday tried RTH and precision landing for the first time. Wow, impressive!! Literally can land on a dime, every time :))
hi Tbase please learn how to fly using the controls as well as the programmed flight modes built into the mav.it may help you one day when a problem arises and you need to take control to stop the mav from crashing, yes the RTH is a great feature and will get the mav back to you but practice manual landing as well learn to keep an eye on your battery levels when you fly and aim to get home with around 30% remaining to give you some wiggle time if you cant land straight away .not trying to lecture you just giving you some advice ,to keep your mav safe .happy flying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada