DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH always about 3 metres from take off point

Hello. Whenever I hit the RTH button (or the RTH screen icon) my Mavic 2 Pro will return but is always about 3 metres away from the take-off spot; I use a foldable heli-pad. I always cancel and then land manually. Is anyone else having this problem? I saw a video and the guy was describing the exact same problem with the Mavic 2. He also said the Mavic 1 didn't have this problem. Thanks.

It looks like different problems, if you want to call it that, for different people. My M2P seems to be slightly different. I use either method to take off, slider/sticks and almost never go up to 20 feet before moving. Usually I go 3-6 feet before heading off and about half the time I use RTH. I was using RTH with the slider at first and as I got a little more used to everything, I started using the RTH button on the RC. So far, using the slider I have only hit the full landing pad once but using RTH on the RC has put me in the center every time.

Reactions: old man mavic
I have Percision landing with the latest firmware and sometimes she lands 1 to 2 feet away. I just take over and land when she is close now.

I have Percision landing with the latest firmware and sometimes she lands 1 to 2 feet away. I just take over and land when she is close now.
Do you take off straight up about 7 meters or 20 feet before heading off in some horizontal direction? Precision landing needs the drone to go straight up before moving away.

Do you take off straight up about 7 meters or 20 feet before heading off in some horizontal direction? Precision landing needs the drone to go straight up before moving away.

Yes. I usually go straight up to return to home height at takeoff.

Yes. I usually go straight up to return to home height at takeoff.
thats where you are going wrong try just going up to 25 ft let it hover for a few seconds do your flight and then try RTH and see if it any better

Reactions: FoxhallGH
thats where you are going wrong try just going up to 25 ft let it hover for a few seconds do your flight and then try RTH and see if it any better
We have to remember that the Mavic is using an algoithm that very broadly borders on 'Artificial Intelligence' to 'pattern-store', then later 'pattern-recognise' a piece of turf that looks like pretty much any other piece of turf on the big wide field that you go out and take off on ... As OMM says above - give your Mavic some height & think-time before you head off into the wild-blue, and it may get a chance to recognise that particular blade of grass that's out of place! Or - you can really help it out by using a landing pad that's a different colour with a distinctive horizontal and vertical orientated shape (like orange coloured with an 'H' for example). Landing pads aren't there just to stop prop-strikes on the long grass ... lP.jpeg

Last edited:
We have to remember that the Mavic is using an algoithm that very broadly borders on 'Artificial Intelligence' to 'pattern-store', then later 'pattern-recognise' a piece of turf that looks like pretty much any other piece of turf on the big wide field that you go out and take off on ... As OMM says above - give your Mavic some height think-time before you head off into the wild-blue, and it may get a chance to recognise that particular blade of grass that's out of place! Or - you can really help it out by using a landing pad that's a different colour with a distinctive horizontal and vertical orientated shape (like orange coloured with an 'H' for example). Landing pads aren't there just to stop prop-strikes on the long grass ... View attachment 62812
thanks FoxhallGH its impotant as you say to give the mav time to log its position i guess the excitement of getting air born is just to much for some and they cant wait to fly off into the sunset

Reactions: FoxhallGH

Thanks. Today I went up to about 25 feet and let it however after takeoff. I reread the manual and it says 7 m. Return to home height was set at 200 feet. Both of today’s landings were within a few inches of center on the helicopter pad. Much better. Last time I had it land halfway off the pad and another I had to interrupt the landing to avoid hitting a tree.

Thanks. Today I went up to about 25 feet and let it however after takeoff. I reread the manual and it says 7 m. Return to home height was set at 200 feet. Both of today’s landings were within a few inches of center on the helicopter pad. Much better. Last time I had it land halfway off the pad and another I had to interrupt the landing to avoid hitting a tree.
glad you got it sorted

Reactions: Elude
Well, with our Mavic Pro, I always take off manually. Naturally, I wait until it has set the home point (in fact, we usually set it manually, just to be sure) and then take it up smoothly to 25 or 30 feet. I almost always auto-land it because, really, I just love to watch it do it. (Yes, I'm a kid at heart.) I have seen it miss the pad completely, but not often. When it's going to miss the pad, I just take control and land it myself. No problem.

Having said all that, I have made some observations which may or may not mean anything. I watch the rapidly flashing green light on the AC and I notice that, first, it flashes for a few seconds before starting the motors. Then it reports that the home point is set. That makes sense. However, I also notice that, during takeoff, it flashes as it rises up to about 6-8 feet.

I may be wrong, but I strongly suspect that it only "reads the terrain" visually up to about 10 feet or less. Just my theory, based on what I see. I always give it 20 or 30 feet vertical anyway, just to be sure. I do see it start correctly from about 30 -40 feet up when it comes down. It continues to correct until about 6 feet or so, I think.

Here's the thing (for me, anyway): I just want to be sure that the GPS location is set in case it all goes south during flight. I want to be absolutely SURE that it will return to a spot over me (well, over the takeoff point) if the battery gets low, or the RC fails. If the precision landing doesn't go perfectly every time, I can deal with that. But it HAS to know where home is, just in case.

The amazing thing, to me, is that it EVER works, at all. I'm totally impressed with this thing.:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS