DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Button = Emergency Brake?

I was out flying this morning and thought about this post from last night and I decided to try it.

First off, I still offer my advice, if you want to stop your drone, just let go of the sticks. The drone does everything in its power to stop.

I performed some testing, abet not scientific, but involved enough to know that I will never depend on the RTH button to stop in an emergency.

I performed the following test flying at Max Speed Forward, Reverse, Pitch Right, Pitch Left, Yaw Right, Yaw Left, Climbing and Descending… With my Mini 2 flying at full speed and flying Forward, or Reverse, or Pitching Right, or Pitching Left, at max speed, my Mini 2 immediately went into "Maximum STOP Mode." Meaning with the Mini 2 flying full speed Forward, and I released the stick the Mini immediately went into full Reverse to slow down even quicker until it stopped completely. The same with full Reverse and I released the stick the Mini went into Max Forward until it stopped. In addition, the same effect on Pitching Left or Right…

stop.png

When Climbing, Descending, or Yawing, it seemed to just stop, nothing special about the action (as in no counter action…)

Now for the reason why I will never use the RTH to stop any action other than a RTH…

First off, let me say, this might even be dangerous… The reason being is that it caused the Drone to "Freeze Up" as if it is Paralyzed like it had a "Stroke…"

Next, it is not an Emergency Feature! When I activated the RTH with the stick in a Max position, the Drone did not go into STOP Mode, it merely slowed down and then stopped (drifted to a stop). It acted more like a non-GPS Drone. Additionally, the Paralyses or Freezing Up I mentioned earlier was the Drone becoming unresponsive (just hovering) until I moved the sticks several times, and after several swivels of the sticks, the Drone finally responded again.

So, my final advice is to use the RTH Button to activate a Return to Home and if you want to cancel the RTH, push the button again.

PS: And I just thought of this, as I said the test was not scientific, but I have tested the RTH button and I've tested the RTH Cancel, but I did not test to see if I hit the RTH button to cancel the RTH, would that also cause the Drone to Freeze up until the sticks were wiggled a bit… I'll leave that test to all of you who have inquiring minds…

Last edited:
I think he was talking about the C1 / C2 Keys and got confused that the OP was talking about the RTH button.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water .
Well, now I'm confused!

I just looked at both the Mini-1/-SE controller, and the Mini-2 controller. I didn't see any C1 or C2 button on either, although the Mini-2 controller does have a "fn" button.

Where are these mythical "C" buttons? I do remember reading about them, but I read a lot of stuff, and I don't remember the context in this case. I do know that I've never used them.

If there's a button that I can hold, or preferably just push, that would let me use the wheel to control the zoom, that would be *great*!

Thx!

Reactions: LoudThunder
Where are these mythical "C" buttons?
The "C" Buttons were the ones in the back of the controller on older drones. On newer drones this got replaced by the "Fn" button. Single-tapping the Fn button will trigger essentially the C1 command, double-tapping the Fn button will trigger the C2 command, which are now renamed to "Single Tap" and "Double Tap" on the Fn Button.

The "C" Buttons were the ones in the back of the controller on older drones. On newer drones this got replaced by the "Fn" button. Single-tapping the Fn button will trigger essentially the C1 command, double-tapping the Fn button will trigger the C2 command, which are now renamed to "Single Tap" and "Double Tap" on the Fn Button.
OK, that makes sense.

But the Mini-1/-SE controller doesn't even have the "fn" button.

And the question still remains, on the Mini-2 controller, is there a way to use the "fn" button to make the wheel perform the zoom function? That would be great, if there is.

Thx.

is there a way to use the "fn" button to make the wheel perform the zoom function? That would be great, if there is.
Yes, it works by default. While you hold the Fn Button the gimbal wheel will zoom in/out.

I will definitely need to try that!

Thx!!

View attachment 149202
Yes, but note you have to be in the proper camera settings for zoom to even work at all. I just learned this. 4K Wide has no zoom effects, 4K zoom & 2.7 will only zoom 2X, 1080 will zoom 4X. I just begun to experiment with this and I have an MA2. When I got my drone, I initially set everything to 4K 60 and never changed it, then recently wondered why I couldn’t get zoom to work. Digital zoom will not work in 4K 60. I had to move to 4k 30 or lower. What I haven’t been able to check is to see the quality of the video in 1080 vs 4k to see if there’s any noticeable loss. I’m not a cinematographer so I’m not looking for a perfect video anyway.
I hope this helps

Yes, but note you have to be in the proper camera settings for zoom to even work at all. I just learned this. 4K Wide has no zoom effects, 4K zoom & 2.7 will only zoom 2X, 1080 will zoom 4X. I just begun to experiment with this and I have an MA2. When I got my drone, I initially set everything to 4K 60 and never changed it, then recently wondered why I couldn’t get zoom to work. Digital zoom will not work in 4K 60. I had to move to 4k 30 or lower. What I haven’t been able to check is to see the quality of the video in 1080 vs 4k to see if there’s any noticeable loss. I’m not a cinematographer so I’m not looking for a perfect video anyway.
I hope this helps
You can get 3X zoom in 2.7K on the Mini-2. I can get 2X at 4K in the Mini-2, but IIRC, the Mini-2 will only shoot 4K at 30 fps. You need to drop down to 2.7K to get 60 fps.

Good to know. How much real difference can our eyes perceive from 1080-2.7-4k if just shooting video for fun or to share with friends & family?
Thanks again.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d