DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH. Is this something you use?

I use it most of the time. It amazes me that with a button press the drone can return home and land within a few inches of where it took off.
I use it frequently (~50% of the time) ....mainly because I just think it is such cool technology! ....totally amazed every time I use it!

Reactions: Kevjones777
Anytime I am even the slightest confused about direction or location in my rural area I just click RTH and monitor the map as it returns. As long as GPS is on I find it very reliable.

It's been awhile since I been on this board. Coincidentally, I looked at my account today and learned that I ordered my MP 1 year ago on this very day, so it's a birthday of sorts for me. Since I had to wait a bit for her to arrive, I wonder when's my official cut off date for DJI Care refresh. I'll soon be flying without a net. I wish I could "Re-Up" on that.

Anyway, I keep reading posts from people who have problems during RTH or get annoyed by the beeping sound of RTH. Is there a beeping sound? I wouldn't know. Why? Because I never use RTH. One time, early on, I pressed it, just to see what would happen, it appeared to be working, and I cancelled it. The other time, was when I lost contact with her, the Drone Gods took pity on me, and RTH kicked in, a few minutes later (although it felt like hours) she was back, hovering above me in all her glory.

Outside of those instances, I don't even think of using it. My prior drones were all very manual, I learned to fly by dead reckoning at the University of Crash. The thought of using RTH seems to foreign and kind of odd. In fact, I have never used the "auto-land" slide on the screen dealie either. My neighbor said his friend crashed his brand new Yuneec using that feature. My first thought was, "Who uses that anyway?

Am I alone on these things? It's ok if I am, I used to it :)
I'v triggered it on purpose before just to pan around and focus solely on shooting.You get a perfect "glide" in and van float around as if you had 360 rotation in the camera.Collision avoidance must be off to rotate bird freely as I've only done this in areas well known /flown in previously.Better be higher than the trees though.No one else does this?

This is my first post, guess I'm the newbee. I do not fly far or for long periods. I'm a REALTOR and use the drone to shoot homesites and homes. Sometimes the RTH starts by itself, clear conditions, no wind, no obstructions. I press the cancel "X" on the screen, then it comes on again. Is there a way to manually disable this or could it be something else? It was doing this before the software updated, quit after the update and started again. Thanks.

I don't use it. Used it once when it was new and in beginner mode, just to see what it did and it worked fine. Mostly, I never stay in the one place when I'm filming, so I do use the 'slide to take off' function, but always land manually. I did have a 'what's going on' moment a few weeks ago, just after my low battery warning started to sound. The Mavic wanted to climb away from me, but luckily it was within grabbing distance, so I caught it without issues. I just didn't like that I wasn't in control.
I do think it's a very worthwhile function, but only after you have done your research and tried it to see what it does.
Not for me though, not keen on using it.

Practice with RTH in an open space to see if works.
In an emergency use it. Otherwise, as an old pilot
was told me...”Fly the airplane”.

i never use rth other than signal loss.
i did use auto take off and auto landing when i first started flying but i never use those functions now.

It's been awhile since I been on this board. Coincidentally, I looked at my account today and learned that I ordered my MP 1 year ago on this very day, so it's a birthday of sorts for me. Since I had to wait a bit for her to arrive, I wonder when's my official cut off date for DJI Care refresh. I'll soon be flying without a net. I wish I could "Re-Up" on that.

Anyway, I keep reading posts from people who have problems during RTH or get annoyed by the beeping sound of RTH. Is there a beeping sound? I wouldn't know. Why? Because I never use RTH. One time, early on, I pressed it, just to see what would happen, it appeared to be working, and I cancelled it. The other time, was when I lost contact with her, the Drone Gods took pity on me, and RTH kicked in, a few minutes later (although it felt like hours) she was back, hovering above me in all her glory.

Outside of those instances, I don't even think of using it. My prior drones were all very manual, I learned to fly by dead reckoning at the University of Crash. The thought of using RTH seems to foreign and kind of odd. In fact, I have never used the "auto-land" slide on the screen dealie either. My neighbor said his friend crashed his brand new Yuneec using that feature. My first thought was, "Who uses that anyway?

Yes I use RTH when appropriate, it has it's uses. Most of the time my MP is in sight so I prefer manual control. I do not use the return to remote. Out on the water it is better to do manual return. On a boat there is no 'home base' You don't want to RTH when your boat is not where you flew from.
Steve

RTH is very tricky. Need to setup the parameters, then there is the glitch where RTH works differently depending on the video encoding. It is written that RGB video encoding is the only solid RTH mode.

I have never made us of RTH except to test it. I much prefer to remain in full control at all times and I would cancel it as soon as I could In fact, I have a hard time trusting any of the autonomous flight modes and have practiced doing virtually all of them manually as it is much more satisfying.

The only misbehaving my drone has ever done was right after terminating an autonomous mode such as active track. None of these events resulted in any extreme actions, but they were dodgy enough to make me reluctant to trust them or at least to trust switching to or from them.

Reactions: chankc28
It is important that you understand exactly how this works and what the triggers are and then set it up properly.

I read an article where someone had set their RTH altitude at 100m but was flying in an area under obstacles and when the battery went low it initiated the RTH app and the first thing the aircraft does is climb to the set height, being a novice pilot he did not escape out of RTH mode and the aircraft crashed into a tree branch as it was climbing. So yes the RTH function is good for things like complete signal loss or instances where you get disorientated and cant find the drone (not that anyone flies out of line of sight ha ha ha ha) but it is important that it is set up correctly for the environment and that you understand how it works. It is an amazingly accurate piece of tech.

I practice manual landing or hand-catching every so often, but 90% of the time I use RTH. I find that while the drone is returning it's useful to have hands free -- typically I write up my flight log, then, or make notes for the next flight, etc.

Reactions: Kevjones777
never use it. for me it is a safety feature not a flight mode.

I tested it once on the 2nd or 3rd flight. It saved me once when I misjudged my position and flew behind a hill. RTH kicked in and after 20 sec I had my manual control back.

This is my first post, guess I'm the newbee. I do not fly far or for long periods. I'm a REALTOR and use the drone to shoot homesites and homes. Sometimes the RTH starts by itself, clear conditions, no wind, no obstructions. I press the cancel "X" on the screen, then it comes on again. Is there a way to manually disable this or could it be something else? It was doing this before the software updated, quit after the update and started again. Thanks.

Sometimes the RTH starts by itself, clear conditions, no wind, no obstructions. I press the cancel "X" on the screen, then it comes on again. Is there a way to manually disable this
You can disable that feature in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Smart-Return-to-Home-DJIGO4.jpg

I use

I use it almost all the time. It works great for me and is extremely accurate. I alway make sure upon take off that it tells me homepoint has been set. It’s amaz to watch it land almost exactly where it took off from. I usually use a landing pad.
To each his/her own.

RTH vs smart RTH.... it’s been a while since I’ve read the manual. What’s the difference? Ivy mostly used RTH when the drone is close enough that it doesn’t have to climb to my pre set RTH altitude so it lands complete on my landing pad. I’ve always use the original home point for RTH.

The only problem I have with RTH is that it goes too high before returning. I cant set the RTH height to less than 20m which seems way too high.

I use it quite a bit.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15