DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(Run in with Indiana dnr)Does anyone know if it’s illegal to fly in state parks I read that it was ok as long as it wasn’t a national park

So here in ct we cant land or take off from a state park.... but we can fly over it...

Which is true everywhere in the United States...airspace is the FAA's purview...and no one else's...of course you might have to go to court to show that, but that IS the federal law.

California state parks are the worst. You can’t fly a drone except where you can, and the info is buried deep in many cases. You often have to know how to get to the District website then search the whole thing for every conceivable synonym for “drone.” Then the wording is vague and subjective.

To their credit, the department is trying to consolidate the information.

FWIW, in Missouri state parks it's OK, or so I was told by the DNR a couple of years ago. Never tried it, however.

Here in WA, you must request a permit and pay a hefty fee. All FAA airspace rules still apply.

Well now I know I can’t fly there.but do you know why I can’t fly there? Is there a specific reasoning behind no flying in national parks
I would guess it's because they are obnoxious as( Mod Removed ) to most people and animals and most of either simply don't want them there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07
DNR Director Naval Reserves **** DNR Department of National Revenue *** DNR **** Near Russia Military *** DNR Dienst Nationale Recherche ** DNR Do Not Regulate Us government * DNR Director of Naval Reactors * DNR Department of Naval Research * DNR Department of National Registration Read more at What does DNR Stand For? 174 meanings of DNR by Acronymsandslang.com *** DNR Dept of Natural Resources * DNR Do Not Resuscitate * DNR Did Not Reply

Wait! Here is more! What does DNR stand for?
See why I hate abbreviations..!!!!
~

Well now I know I can’t fly there.but do you know why I can’t fly there? Is there a specific reasoning behind no flying in national parks
I had a local park ranger talk to me about my drone, he said there were concerns about crashing drones starting fires. I don't agree, just sayin' a non-national park ranger brought it up.

Reactions: Arce101
I had a local park ranger talk to me about my drone, he said there were concerns about crashing drones starting fires. I don't agree, just sayin' a non-national park ranger brought it up.

So you don't agree that a LiPo could cause a fire? When a sUAS crashes it's not uncommon for the LiPo to be damaged and a damaged LiPo is a self fueling fire waiting to happen.

Here's a small pack that self ignited during a charging process that went wrong . . .

A few years back I accidentally allowed the +/- leads of a LiPo to come into contact and they immediately arced and welded together. I tossed them out of the car (I had just placed them into the back floorboard) onto the asphalt and the heat and flames (and smoke... OMG the smoke) generated was shocking. In fact the heat literally started to melt the asphalt.... the burn area was visible for over a year until we had the whole lot repaved.

Now for those who think that a sUAS can't cause a fire in the right conditions its has happened although it would need to be ideal conditions.

Lots of dangerous things can happen in life under the right conditions. Car gas tanks can explode in crashes under the right conditions. The car's catalytic converter can start a brush fire under the right conditions. However in most cases, the "right conditions" are not likely.

Lots of dangerous things can happen in life under the right conditions. Car gas tanks can explode in crashes under the right conditions. The car's catalytic converter can start a brush fire under the right conditions. However in most cases, the "right conditions" are not likely.
True

Particularly, if they, the car, was a Pinto.

• Haha
Reactions: ChuckNorrisUSAF
I am way late on this... but a little more clarification? Were you on the beach in Ogden Dunes? If so, you were not only in a state park, but the National Park, that is illegal. The beach itself is not in the town limits and is not private property either. If you were in Ogden Dunes, but not on the beach, you were perfectly fine. so long as it was not deemed that you were disturbing wildlife in the National Park.

Since this was bumped from a few years ago....

I wanted to (recreationally) fly in a state park in Massachusetts (Hopkinton State Park). I sent a rather detailed email to the state park head, describing my intentions, would be following all safety procedures, my FAA ID, drone type/weight, certifications, etc.

The response:
"Drone flying is prohibited within the confines at Hopkinton/Ashland State Parks"

Would have been nice if that was posted anywhere online so I wouldn't have wasted time writing.

Somehow those exact right conditions show up more times than not. Beyond believable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54