DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(Run in with Indiana dnr)Does anyone know if it’s illegal to fly in state parks I read that it was ok as long as it wasn’t a national park

Arce101

Reactions
Well today I took my drone to Ogden dunes in Indiana to take some cool pics of the scenery there and just as I was finished putting my drone away I was approached by a dnr saying I couldn’t fly there but I read online that it was ok as long as it wasn’t a national park well ok I said politely and I went on my way got some cool footage out of it. But I know I was lucky dnr could of confiscated my stuff if he wanted to. Maybe I’ll post some of the footage when I’m done doing a little editing.

Planet, Country, State, location is always helpful in Subject :)

This is quite literally the FIRST link under a Google Search for "Indiana State Parks Drones"

It is NOT LEGAL to fly in Indiana State Parks unless it is a designated area and you have the proper approvals. You may need to refine your Google parameters when searching for the most accurate information. ;)

It also helps on what part of Ogden Dunes you were on, because it is adjacent to the National Park, so if you were close to or even bordering it, you may have gone a little to far. Something to keep in mind

Last edited:
Well now I know I can’t fly there.but do you know why I can’t fly there? Is there a specific reasoning behind no flying in national parks

Greetings other Indiana flyers. I'm in Indianapolis and have flown near Eagle Creek park with no issues, but I got permission from the Sailing Club and took off from there. In my discussions with a rep from the FAA, you may be unable to take off/land in certain areas but the FAA still owns the airspace so they (parks) can't restrict you from flying unless there is a flight restriction in effect. However, they (DNR/Police/ETC) can make your life difficult and have the power to detain you even if you are operating with in the law.

Reactions: ff22
I know it could of been a lot worse but I think bc I wasn’t like a repeat offender he took it easy on me

Well now I know I can’t fly there.but do you know why I can’t fly there? Is there a specific reasoning behind no flying in national parks

Well, I posted the link and State Code regarding the legal answer to your initial question - so the background behind that state code and determination would be on you to research and figure out the answer to that question.

You've been apart of this community long enough to read a lot of very helpful information and guidance. It also helps to research the areas you may not be familiar with or are probably planning on flying in for the first time. With the rules changing and new laws going into effect all the time, do your due diligence and do some research or call the appropriate location before you find yourself being "talked to".

Didn't you recently say you installed some modded software that gave you the ability to unlock features and fly in areas you shouldn't flying in? I would personally utilize another application to double check the areas you are legally allowed to go.

Also, the National Parks have been off limits for Drones for a handful of years now, that's fairly common knowledge and talked about quite regularly in the forums. If you want a reason, I would suggest talking to the local National Park Supervisor. I for one enjoy a peaceful and semi-quiet experience when visiting those locations.

Hi, guys I also tried last summer to fly at the dunes up by Michigan City and was told I can't fly there and thought I'm not in the National Park area but they flat out said No. So, I left disappointed I drove all that way for nothing. But I stopped by the beach in Michigan City same thing, So I asked a beach side resident if I could get some footage off there back deck and was allowed to fly a few minutes at a distance from the beach .What, I think more than anything is people are unaware of faa rules.and because the beach line there runs into national park areas they just say No you can't.It sucks so bad because it's beautiful in the summer.

Reactions: Arce101
I know it could of been a lot worse but I think bc I wasn’t like a repeat offender he took it easy on me
I have recently been on two different hikes in the pacific northWET national forest land and on their kiosks have been advisories that DRONE FLYING IS PROHIBITED. One trail did lead into a US Wilderness area. But I don't think that the other was official wilderness. WA State parks are restricted unless they are not! And no flying from any public street or park in Seattle. I can fly from private lots (mine and others) but mine is too constrained to fly out over the street - too many trees and power/phone lines.

I checked everywhere and there was nothing stating I couldn’t fly my drone there. When I got there there were very few people being it was pretty chilly outside and later in the daytime. I was very respectful and felt I was flying respectfully. When the guy approached me I asked why the rule wasn’t stated and he said because a lot of rules are. How am I to know if nothing anywhere states the such rule? Felt I got lucky and could fly there period. Now I know and won’t disregard the rule.

Reactions: FlyingGary
Just feel if you want people to abide by a rule you have you should probably post said rule. That’s just common sense oh well. Not my fault I’ve done more then enough research.

Reactions: FlyingGary
@Arce101

I don't disagree with you about the posting of said rules, but sometimes that's not always the case. I literally spent 2 mins googling the location and found all the corresponding rules for that area that you described in your initial post.

Sometimes things take a little bit to act on after a new rule (or even old rule) comes into play. There are also financial considerations (sometimes) that have to play out ie; getting approval to print new signs, where they will be posted, who will approve it, etc etc. State Parks may act quicker or slower than the National Park system. That section of the beach may have been owned by the county or the township adjacent to it. There are many factors you need to consider.

If you find issues like that, then simply address it with the local City Hall or township that is in charge of that area. Maybe they are just not aware that a sign hasn't been posted or is necessary for people (in your case) to avoid the same issues you ran into.

My rule of thumb from my last career, "try to have a solution to the problem, don't be the problem"

Reactions: BigAl07 and WWMav
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

LoL Ok

Just as a person whose lived in The Region, you could try Beverly Shores. There's a small town park in there to launch from. Not sure how much the locals would like it though.

Otherwise I'd take a short trip out to the great state of Michigan since you're only half an hour away! Same dunes and lakeshore but without the smokestacks, sorry ?‍♂️

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78