DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Note 8 brightness 1240 nits

MGS9500

Reactions
Having used many tablets and displays, and currently using a 1000 nit Crystal Sky, the new Samsung Note 8 is listed as having a display of
1240 nits. That is brighter than the 5.5 Crystal Sky display.

Review by Displaymate
Galaxy Note8 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Granted, this is a 6.3 inch display, slightly bigger, and the cost is about $950.00, it is an expensive option.

But, if interested in a new phone and want to kill two birds with one stone, this is an option.

And, since I do not know anyone who actually has this phone, officially release and ship is around Sept. 14, it is unknown how the Android system will interact with the DJI app. However, since most app issues are due to processing power and storage, one assumes there will be no glitches.

Reactions: Stride8
Having used many tablets and displays, and currently using a 1000 nit Crystal Sky, the new Samsung Note 8 is listed as having a display of
1240 nits. That is brighter than the 5.5 Crystal Sky display.

Review by Displaymate
Galaxy Note8 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Granted, this is a 6.3 inch display, slightly bigger, and the cost is about $950.00, it is an expensive option.

But, if interested in a new phone and want to kill two birds with one stone, this is an option.

And, since I do not know anyone who actually has this phone, officially release and ship is around Sept. 14, it is unknown how the Android system will interact with the DJI app. However, since most app issues are due to processing power and storage, one assumes there will be no glitches.

That 1240 nits is only for short periods. The display dims to avoid excessive heat. You can see this on YouTube battery tests of note 8.

Does the s8 not share the same screen and is a lot cheaper ?

Time to post this again...

This GPS receiver is 15+ years old. What happened to that LCD display technology? It simply was the real, actual, fully functional perfect solution to a full-color display that was exactly what you want it to be -- bright and clear backlight in dim lighting, a reflective backing that got brighter and clearer in bright light the stronger the light is. It was more readable the brighter the incident sunlight.

It's not only RC aircraft pilots that would like this. I imagine it would be pretty popular with, well, everyone.

Preordered my Note8. Got it sorta due to my Mavic :)

You'll be somewhat disappointed as far as Mavic application. It was the same reason I got the S8+. The screen is only bright for a short time and then it's fairly dim. The worst part is DJI Go will crash periodically. Fortunately it restarts quickly. Anyway, I'm back on my Ipad Mini 4. I've found nothing better and I have many devices including many Android tablets. Nothing is as consistently reliable as the Ipad Mini 4 including the Shield and Samsung tab S2.

Edit: I hope I'm wrong. I do like the Note series. Hopefully the extra RAM helps. Please let us know how it works for you.

I will. I only had a Go app disconnect once when I left my data running by mistake (LG G4). Hopefully its not the case with the Note8

Time to post this again...

This GPS receiver is 15+ years old. What happened to that LCD display technology? It simply was the real, actual, fully functional perfect solution to a full-color display that was exactly what you want it to be -- bright and clear backlight in dim lighting, a reflective backing that got brighter and clearer in bright light the stronger the light is. It was more readable the brighter the incident sunlight.

It's not only RC aircraft pilots that would like this. I imagine it would be pretty popular with, well, everyone.

My guess is the screen technology is only useful for mostly static images. I don't think that type of display would work well with a live video feed type of display. If you've ever used an e-ink device, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: spybaz
Well the Mate 9 is only 630 nits...but still brighter than most phones and the ipad. It's also IPS, 5.9in, and supported by DJI. So far it's been solid for me with Go 4, except for the roughly 350ms FPV delay (which seems to be about average for every device I have).

LP

A few responses:
1.) The You tube video that shows the screen does not stay as bright for prolonged periods is due to the setting the system at "reduce screen brightness to conserve battery".
2.) The max brightness is only when there is an option to adjust auto brightness which does allow for a lessening of the screen brightness if the sensors determine it is not necessary.
3.) The reflective index and glare on the screen is the lowest of all tablets and current phones, including the iPhone.
4.) The S8 does have the same type of screen, however, it has a slightly different processor. It is unknown how this might effect the readings. But, in theory, it does go as bright.

Even when auto brightness is defeated, the brightness still exceeds 658 nits, which is still the brightest screen of any display, other than the Ultra bright Crystal Sky.

As an aside, is there any independent review of the CrystalSky that confirms the measurements posted by DJI???

Just some options to consider.

So - does any one have a Note 8 in use with their Mavic yet. If so how is it going?

I am using note 8 with my mavic. Everything works great and display is cool. I like that phone , with mavic works perfectly

Looking forward to using my Note 8 with the MPP. I have been contemplating on buying a tablet but will wait to try out my Note 8 first before making another purchase. Also to the brightness issue, that's just a setting for battery saver. :)

I have the note8 and it is working very well with the MPP. Great display don't bother with the tablet any more, never had any disconnects or problems I find it nice and bright and rarely us it at full brightness

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito