DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Note 8 brightness 1240 nits

So - does any one have a Note 8 in use with their Mavic yet. If so how is it going?
Note 8 doing fine if it does dim It's not enough to cause a problem. You can turn the auto brightness function off if you feel the need.

People have to realize that any thing you add to your phone such as a case or even a wrap will increase how hot it gets, just like putting a coat on at the beach. Keeping it out of direct sunlight also helps. This can be as easy as standing with you back to the sun if no shade is available.

Note 8 doing fine if it does dim It's not enough to cause a problem. You can turn the auto brightness function off if you feel the need.

People have to realize that any thing you add to your phone such as a case or even a wrap will increase how hot it gets, just like putting a coat on at the beach. Keeping it out of direct sunlight also helps. This can be as easy as standing with you back to the sun if no shade is available.

For my S8+ I've found running in battery saver mode is a good compromise. It reduces heat by running brightness just 10% below max, lower screen resolution, and throttled a bit. Runs perfectly.

Time to post this again...

This GPS receiver is 15+ years old. What happened to that LCD display technology? It simply was the real, actual, fully functional perfect solution to a full-color display that was exactly what you want it to be -- bright and clear backlight in dim lighting, a reflective backing that got brighter and clearer in bright light the stronger the light is. It was more readable the brighter the incident sunlight.

It's not only RC aircraft pilots that would like this. I imagine it would be pretty popular with, well, everyone.

And time to answer this again...

The simple answer the technology is not perfect and there are significant trade offs in image quality for the transreflective displays, given the choice people generally preferred the higher quality non-transreflective displays which is why you don't see them much these days - they simply weren't popular at all.

Devices with transflective displays are still produced and put to particularly good use in Garmin's smartwatches but even though the technology is well suited there since it can be always on, very power efficient and readable in direct sunlight there was a topic pretty much every day from annoyed owners complaining about how inferior the display looked compared to rival devices, particularly those with OLED screens.

Does the s8 not share the same screen and is a lot cheaper ?

No, they're very similar but the S8 Plus has a 6.2in screen while the Note 8 has a 6.3in screen which is brighter. It doesn't sound much of a difference on paper but the Note 8 feels like it has a bigger screen than the difference suggests because the curves on the side of the screen are much more aggressive on the Note 8 to give it a larger amount of flat space for the S-pen. The Note 8 also benefits from 50% more ram and an additional telephoto camera.

The S8 Plus is definitely still worth considering though particularly as there is a significant price difference to the Note 8 now but at the same time, there is more to the Note 8 than the S8+ with S-pen as it looks on paper.

The Note8 is my main phone for everyday use but my backup display for the Mavic.

Good to read this thread. I have had a Note 8 since day one release. (Actually a week early because I preordered it through TMobile). Looking forward to trying it out on my MPP in a week or so. I will order the MPP on Friday when I get paid.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15