DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Say bye bye to DJI being used by any government agency.

Because I was a newb at the time and I just installed the app and it took those permissions as default. I am not a slow learner though. That is what prompted me to start digging into what else this app was doing and its eventual shut down of any network communication. One of the main reasons I shut it down was I don't want DJI flipping some bit and force an upgrade or no fly situation and I am sure they can do that based on what I see in the code as there is an expiration date in your firmware, if I recall right it is one year after a particular firmware is released, though to my knowldege, they haven't enforced this yet.

Another reason is the white paper from DJI to use a comm channel for drone identification. This was probably integrated into the drone somewhere around firmware 0700 and is why your range slightly decreased, and along with it also came NFZ zones which was marking my house, which is no where near a major airport, as a restricted zone. It also started giving me false warnings about signal range when the drone was probably 50 feet from me when other firmwares did not.

Anyway, most of you think you control your drone. I will be the first to tell you that you do not and that is only an illusion. That doesn't mean you can't take back control of it however.

I understand your concerns about privacy but, frankly, you seem to be verging on paranoia - taking every little thing that you don't immediately understand and ascribing it to some kind of evil DJI scheme. At least get your facts straight before you start rampant speculation and broadcasting misinformation. I can't comment authoritatively on the app taking selfies on your Android device and sending them to DJI, but that just doesn't sound credible. As for expiration dates in the firmware, there aren't any that I've seen so far, and I have two-year old firmware running on one of my Mavics.

Reactions: Meta4
You guys remember when the federal government announced that the personnel records of virtually every single federal employee (including those with top security clearances) were stolen? Oh well, who cares right?

1542827222154.png

What is the big deal? What is Uber going to do, share my ride data? Who cares, right?

1542827686715.png

"it is not just you individually, but every last American they can"
i agree it is cumulative not individual. same crap as face book, google ect. but hey at this point what difference does it make? some get it most dont .i think i dont want to feed the beast either way. can i stop it? no. but i can minimize what i put out there to harvest. you think face book is there for you to share pics with the family? if you are not paying for the service you are the commodity being traded.that includes forums,, they dont make money off your fam pics they make it off selling your data. social credit score any one?

I understand your concerns about privacy but, frankly, you seem to be verging on paranoia - taking every little thing that you don't immediately understand and ascribing it to some kind of evil DJI scheme. At least get your facts straight before you start rampant speculation and broadcasting misinformation. I can't comment authoritatively on the app taking selfies on your Android device and sending them to DJI, but that just doesn't sound credible. As for expiration dates in the firmware, there aren't any that I've seen so far, and I have two-year old firmware running on one of my Mavics.

It is not parannoa in the slightest when I caught the app using 12 seconds of time from my phones camera. Just got creepy is all. Who wouldn't find that creepy? So I blew up the DJI forums asking why. Crickets. Note I don't know if that was 12 seconds one time during registration or total time over multiple app launches.

As mentioned above, your social score is coming. China sets up huge 'social credit' system

With that said, they won't be locking me out of my firmware that is old and out of date. I have no limitations on anythig on the Mavic. It fly's like it says on the side of the box, and is flawless. App doesn't crash either no matter how long the flight.

Reactions: kissmybrass
With that said, they won't be locking me out of my firmware that is old and out of date. I have no limitations on anythig on the Mavic. It fly's like it says on the side of the box, and is flawless. App doesn't crash either no matter how long the flight.

I think that's how almost all Mavics fly.

No they don't. App crashes are common on Android at least and there is no restriction on flight like NFZ's, nor are there altitude restrictions or anything of the like.

Note to mention, no dreaded horizon tilt.

No they don't. App crashes are common on Android at least and there is no restriction on flight like NFZ's, nor are there altitude restrictions or anything of the like.

Note to mention, no dreaded horizon tilt.

Android devices seem to have more trouble than iOS, but app crashes are not common. If you think that you have magically made your aircraft more reliable than everyone else's then you are deceiving yourself.

Reactions: BD0G
No they don't. App crashes are common on Android at least
Really ... I don't see any on either of my Android tablets.
Facts really get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Reactions: Simmo
Really ... I don't see any on either of my Android tablets.
Facts really get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Yea my Crystalsky has absolutely never crashed AND it operates without a data connection so I guess China will have to muddle along without my data to further their schemes of world domination.

Can you imagine these guys at Thanksgiving dinner?...

"OMG Grandma, stop using the microwave, they use it to monitor you!"

"Uncle Joe, quick unplug the Lazy Boy before it can send a report back to the home base about your lounging times and duration!!!"

"Sara, don't look directly at the TV or it'll hypnotize you into becoming one of their minions!"

Yeesh...

I hear the Amish will take you in....

Reactions: ac0j and Meta4

They have since added features that allow one to 'turn off' the reporting but I lost trust long ago.

You believe we're paranoid but I can prove with a simple network analyzer exactly what and when DJI exchanges info with your device. It's common knowledge and to profess it isn't happeneing is fairly naïve.

LOL!
View attachment 53914

Good thing you figured that out! They may send Chinese Agents to come to your house, take your riding mower,you television, and your leaf blower all back to China. (where 75% of your electronic devices came from)
Like China has any interest what the average american has or does.......
IF they are doing what you THINK they are doing, they are looking for bigger fish to fry. no need for you to think you are stopping a SINGLE thing by firewalling cameras, and other nonsense.
They are probably rolling on their floor laughing reading this Thread! And, YES they can read this thread too!

Pretty naïve if you ask me. It's not about what individuals do, it's about the control of information at a state level. China has no interest in taking the world by force. Their plan is to take it economically. This aggregate of information they are obtaining helps to advance the states over all objectives. Don't forget, it's not just Americans. DJI is worldwide.

Since we are on the subject, let me just add some of the sites this app contacts that I captured. Note I hope a couple pages worth are good enough for you:

View attachment 53911
View attachment 53912
Many of these guys will not understand network monitoring and that you just proved it does happen. I'm thinking of running this over through a PaloAlto firewall to obtain deep packet inspections to see exactly what those connections are transmitting.

Many of these guys will not understand network monitoring and that you just proved it does happen. I'm thinking of running this over through a PaloAlto firewall to obtain deep packet inspections to see exactly what those connections are transmitting.

No one, as far as I'm aware, including, disputes that the GO app makes numerous connections when on the network. So do most of the apps on your phone. Most of the GO app traffic is completely innocuous, or at least not mysterious, depending on your point of view. You can run the Pilot app if you prefer, which includes a completely silent mode which makes no network connections.

Flying over some water over the 4th of July, I bough some cheap Styrofoam floats/balls for the drone to keep it afloat. I've never used the floats, but it has some other features I like. It came with some clear legs that attach to each motor that the floats attach to. I can see it at night and the legs raise the drone off the ground so it's not sitting on it's belly when it lands. It also allows a battery clip to be attached if desired. I modified my case by cutting out the lining beneath motors so I can leave these on all the time and it still fits in my case

Pretty naïve if you ask me. It's not about what individuals do, it's about the control of information at a state level. China has no interest in taking the world by force. Their plan is to take it economically. This aggregate of information they are obtaining helps to advance the states over all objectives. Don't forget, it's not just Americans. DJI is worldwide.
So what's the key to world domination that DJI is going to find in your drone (or anyone else's?)
I'm thinking of running this over through a PaloAlto firewall to obtain deep packet inspections to see exactly what those connections are transmitting.
You could ... but it might spoil a good conspiracy theory.

Reactions: sar104
I am beginning to think there is a new generation of urban underground bunker builders.
Hiding their wealth in crypto currencies, and hoarding nike shoes, starbucks coffee, and under armor hoodies.

But all we can do is wait and see what happens with this new compliance from the DOE. I didn't see it in there but I also did not read half of it. The company attorney did so I will ask if there is anything about DJI in it. On another note, the M2P is such a wonderful machine to fly. It just feels a lot better than the MP1... Placebo effect or not, it just seems to handle itself much better but I hate taking the filters on and off. It is a pain, a real pain. This is what I have to inspect tomorrow.. Should be a good one to do, they also want a 3d model so I am using the agis system for that. I usually can fly circles around it and then down to the generator and take a picture of all the levels. Pays pretty well on these. View attachment 53271
Is that Shaw Butte ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying