DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SC android less reliable than Air2 w/ IOS phone

icesailr

Reactions
I’m an Air2 owner using iphoneX with the Air2 controller. Just bought the SC because of No wires and the touted Better cold weather and screen in sun performance. I’ve used it just three times in last week in area’s I’ve flown before. It has”lost connection to drone”two of those time, interrupting my videoing. It essentially jumped right to that instead of first giving me the intermittent “weak signal” that prompts me to fully pay attention to the orientation of the controller. I’m wondering about Android system vs IOS as well as the significant difference in antenna’s of the two controllers.

I’m wondering about Android system vs IOS as well as the significant difference in antenna’s of the two controllers.
Android is just as reliable as iOS and isn't going to have any effect on losing signal.
The specs for the smart controller indicate that it has a significantly shorter transmission range than the regular controllers.
Max Transmission Distance
Air 2: 10 km (FCC), 6 km (CE)

Smart Controller
2.400-2.4835 GHz: 8 km (FCC), 4 km (CE)
5.725-5.850 GHz: 8 km (FCC), 2 km (CE)

Reactions: icesailr
Android is just as reliable as iOS and isn't going to have any effect on losing signal.
The specs for the smart controller indicate that it has a significantly shorter transmission range than the regular controllers.
Max Transmission Distance
Air 2: 10 km (FCC), 6 km (CE)

Smart Controller
2.400-2.4835 GHz: 8 km (FCC), 4 km (CE)
5.725-5.850 GHz: 8 km (FCC), 2 km (CE)
Thank you! The android phone vs iOS phone battles led me to those thoughts. I do like that I don’t have to think/worry about flipping antenna’s around on the air 2 controller also. Sending the SC back and saving for potential next drone.

I think that range specification of the SC is outdated. These drones use soft-defined radios which allows different protocols to run on the same hardware. OcuSync 2.0 has been recently enhanced by means of software to improve the range. The Air 2 has already got the updated software when it was out. Then DJI issued a new firmware for the M2 to increase the range from 8km to 10 km ( FCC ). I believe the same goes for the SC.

1602559233495.png

Last edited:
In defence of Android the only time I have had a problem was when using an iPad ( blank screen in flight ) luckily I was flying close by & landed OK.
I got the iPad because of all the hype but gave it to my son and reverted back to my trusty Android devices.

In defence of Android the only time I have had a problem was when using an iPad ( blank screen in flight ) luckily I was flying close by & landed OK.
I got the iPad because of all the hype but gave it to my son and reverted back to my trusty Android devices.
Thank you for your input, please realize that I am not at all into the IOS vs Android debate. I have two son's who are both IT people and they
both have Android and we discuss my Iphone vs. their Androids from time to time. My reason to post is pure Observation of what happened
after 6 months of using the Air2 controller with my Iphone and then flying with the SC. It was a very night and day experience. I was hoping to
hear from others who have been using the RC for the other higher end Mavic's and now are flying the Air2 for direct comparison. Thanks again.

I can’t help with the Air 2 as I the M2P & SC – no difference in reliability for me
I get it, thanks.
BTW, here's an interesting article from a Android promoting web site. There are other articles if you search
touting the advantage's of the Android also, just thought this one "might" have some insight on the two systems.

How did you have the antenna positioned on the Smart Controller when testing?
I have noticed that the SC has just about the same range as the "normal" remote (M2P) but has measurably better signal penetration when the signal has to go through trees, etc.
That normally indicates that the antenna on the SC has a slightly increased Db spec than the antenna on the normal controller (smaller cone of signal on a higher Db, usually) which would require slightly more precise antenna alignment/placement.

How did you have the antenna positioned on the Smart Controller when testing?
I have noticed that the SC has just about the same range as the "normal" remote (M2P) but has measurably better signal penetration when the signal has to go through trees, etc.
That normally indicates that the antenna on the SC has a slightly increased Db spec than the antenna on the normal controller (smaller cone of signal on a higher Db, usually) which would require slightly more precise antenna alignment/placement.
Thank you for your comments. It could be operator (antenna positioning) error on my part. I did try to keep the antenna's at the angle shown in the manual to the drone. Interestingly, my problem was not with a clear view, but once thru a tree canopy and then thru thru some some very spaced out tree's and a few boats with superstuctures. Again, both directions and area's I've flown the standard MA2 controller with just getting the Weak Signal at worst.

I have flown with the SC and Air2 at only two locations so far. I noticed that when I lost connection and RTH initiated the App still showed full signal strength. I never got a yellow signal it was always full strength. I thought it was strange since the SC lost connection. I was flying with other people that had a combination of Smart controllers, stock controllers and a mix of Air 2 and Pro 2 drones. I was thinking it was interference from them. I have to do a test flying by myself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54