Reactions
Scary!

Stats.

Mavic pro 2 zoom

Never crashed

Flight time 26 hours

2 years old.

Ambient temperature 82 degrees

Experience FAA certified pilot sea and land.

Gripe report

Noticed a few flights ago upon landing the battery had a gap between it and the fuselage one side only not clicked in. WTF?????

Changed Batteries. Double check its locked in

Flew around as normal same thing !!!!

Scary!!!! that doesn't pass pre or post flight.

Anyone else?

Fly'n Bryan
20200418_190153.jpeg

Charge cycles on battery?
Batteries are the same age as the aircraft?
Any battery disconnect message seen?
Still using the battery?
Thanks.

I have a 2 yr old M2Z with 30 hrs flight time and haven’t noticed any battery issues.
The picture certainly looks like a scary issue that needs sorting.

Reactions: bfine
Scary!

Stats.

Mavic pro 2 zoom

Never crashed

Flight time 26 hours

2 years old.

Ambient temperature 82 degrees

Experience FAA certified pilot sea and land.

Gripe report

Noticed a few flights ago upon landing the battery had a gap between it and the fuselage one side only not clicked in. WTF?????

Changed Batteries. Double check its locked in

Flew around as normal same thing !!!!

Scary!!!! that doesn't pass pre or post flight.

Anyone else?

Fly'n Bryan
View attachment 98975
i find it strange that you have not checked to see if the bottom of the battery is swollen it is a well known issue with these batteries ,as they heat up

Reactions: Flycaster
Got photos of the sides and bottom of that battery?

Reactions: Thomas B
I don’t seem to have any problems at the present time but then again I don’t have the hours on it you do. Only time will tell. I have read where people are having problems.

Still using the battery?
Thanks.
Not sure charge cycles where do I locate that?

I have 3 Batteries so divide that by 24. 8 hours on a battery????

Yes , Batteries bought with the drone
Hell no. Not flying until I figure this out.

I have looked and didn't notice however with your suggestion. I'll have a closer look.

Thanks
i find it strange that you have not checked to see if the bottom of the battery is swollen it is a well known issue with these batteries ,as they heat up

Sorry no disconnect message
Still using the battery?
Thanks.

I did a search didn't find anything, any links?
I don’t seem to have any problems at the present time but then again I don’t have the hours on it you do. Only time will tell. I have read where people are having problems.

You should probably skip the research and visually inspect the battery. Something is preventing it from being inserted as designed. It's likely puffy from improper use/storage.

what your picture shows is classic puffed battery after a flight it is no good checking the battery after it has cooled down you need to do it as soon as you have landed
do you make sure that you get the double click sound when you put the battery in place as the latches engage

Reactions: Thomas B and bfine
Plus, use a “BRD” (Battery Retention Device)

Quite a few posts on the M2 potential battery problem, and very well covered in this thread . . .

Have a read.

If swollen at all to affect retainment, discard or use for ground adjustments.
Always check bottom of batteries for swelling straight after (or well into the stages of) charging . . . or after flight, especially if flying with more power requirement, sports mode or lots of ascending etc . . . the batteries heat up more.

Edit - use a velcro strap as a safeguard !

Last edited:
Reactions: bfine
Update, thanks to this community and their suggestions I woke up the morning went out and checked my batteries. Yea all 3 are slightly swollen.

When put on a flat hard surface they wobble like a drunken sailor on liberty in Subic bay Philippines!

On a serious note that's scary! I have a 5 year old Mavic PP still flying on the original 3 batteries, this is very troubling, I will send a message to DJI, recall?

Thank you again I'm happy to report it didn't fall from the sky however not if, it was when!

Bryan

Yes where I am located we are on extreme lockdown for this virus ****, I'm on a very remote island of the Philippines.

Getting new batteries for the foreseeable future is unlikely. I will take extrem measures so I can continue to fly until then.

Thanks Mate.

P.S. The pig picture is what I feel DJI is doing to me. And the safety to the public.
Quite a few posts on the M2 potential battery problem, and very well covered in this thread . . .

Have a read.

If swollen at all to affect retainment, discard or use for ground adjustments.
Always check bottom of batteries for swelling straight after (or well into the stages of) charging . . . or after flight, especially if flying with more power requirement, sports mode or lots of ascending etc . . . the batteries heat up more.

Edit - use a velcro strap as a safeguard !
screen_8d194b03a48fd4a3_1586412040000.jpeg5d7234a74abd7dde1d4bf4891efc631c_nail.jpegIMG-0302bac5cb8d5321991f2035ae2470fb-V.jpeg

Update, thanks to this community and their suggestions I woke up the morning went out and checked my batteries. Yea all 3 are slightly swollen.

When put on a flat hard surface they wobble like a drunken sailor on liberty in Subic bay Philippines!

On a serious note that's scary! I have a 5 year old Mavic PP still flying on the original 3 batteries, this is very troubling, I will send a message to DJI, recall?

Thank you again I'm happy to report it didn't fall from the sky however not if, it was when!

Bryan

Heya Bryan.
So that's with cold batteries wobbling on the table ?
Put them on charge for a while (if in standby 50% state) and let them go for half an hour, try again, are they noticeably worse ?

If so, then flying with them would be fairly risky, in fact most would say here if they are swollen at all, don't use them.
The strap may assist in keeping the power on, in case they 'wanted' to depart from the clips, but it's still a risk and not many would want to fly over water / sea, or even difficult terrain with their precious M2 aircraft.

It's a pity DJI chose to not have that little space around the M2 batteries, like on the M1P batteries, it might provide that tiny bit of expansion room when in flight, which is probably the real danger time for lipo swelling.
Shown clearly in post 37 of that linked thread . . .

img_3158-jpg.98094

I will take extrem measures so I can continue to fly until then.

P.S. The pig picture is what I feel DJI is doing to me. And the safety to the public.

The velcro strap for sure, nice and tight . . .

Ha ha, oh look mummy, those pigs are wrestling ! ? ?

Serious again . . .

So, how old are those batteries and how many cycles ?
Some say their have swollen after a short time, 20 or 30 charges.
Others have had no issues.

I think from general posts on the topic, humidity / heat will definitely give all lipos a shorter lifespan.

I need to do more research on screenshot for Smart controller. Said back stick until vibrating then press right shutter. Didn't vibrate or take the screenshot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom