DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sea Mark

Virga

Reactions
Short video keeping it simple for now. Would welcome any criticism as to how this could be improved before I move on to longer efforts, whether titles, fades, imagery, colour balancing/grading, audio etc.

Shot using a Mavic 3 Cine and the Circle Master Shot option (4K, HLG) during sunset golden hour.

Post production in FCP. No effects applied. Mac Book Pro, Apple XDR setting.

Exported using ProRes 422 LT, 5K, Rec. 2020 PQ. File size 1.66GB.

How on earth does one get YouTube to provide 5K(2700) view option please?

TIA

Last edited:
Technically it's a circle around an object at sunset, at some unknown geographic location.
As for the video, what's the purpose and who is the intended audience?
As for improvement, add text/audio to describe the video.

Every video and every photograph is a personal creative exploration so I can only tell you how I might have approached this. To simply start with a wide shot of the sea mark (odd name in the middle of a field" doesn't build any interest. It just throws it in your face. I'd be pondering how I want to introduce the subject. It might be a very close up at the base, slowly rising to the top of the Sea Mark and then drawing back and away to reveal the object. A "reveal" is a common term in videography for the simple reason it's a very, very common thing to want to reveal something as opposed to simply showing it. Having revealed the object, one might begin a simply circle around it or perhaps view it with still images. An image from the base with the camera pointed up. A shot with the sun in back of it. An image from 10 feet directly above, 20 feet. 100 feet, all in quick succession. I'm just tossing out ideas and thoughts on ways to look at a simple "circle the object" in a story telling way instead of a simple quick look. I don't think the constant distance from the object was a choice I would have made. After seeing something for a few seconds - much more than 3 or 4, people's eye tends to wander unless there is something dynamic going on. You see in most videos, scenes don't often last much more than 5 or 6 seconds. There are plenty of times when that is not true but it's a somewhat general rule for a reason. 5 seconds of hyperlapse with the camera in the middle of a circle might be interesting. Your color grading looked fine and it was a good exposure - and good you didn't have it set on auto exposure. That's it from the top of my head. Nothing is meant to take away from a nicely done little video! Interesting subject...which leads me to how some description, rolling credit or talk talk would have clued the viewer in to what they are seeing. I'm still curious! Part 2 Please!

Short video keeping it simple for now. Would welcome any criticism as to how this could be improved before I move on to longer efforts, whether titles, fades, imagery, colour balancing/grading, audio etc.

Shot using a Mavic 3 Cine and the Circle Master Shot option (4K, HLG) during sunset golden hour.

Post production in FCP. No effects applied. Mac Book Pro, Apple XDR setting.

Exported using ProRes 422 LT, 5K, Rec. 2020 PQ. File size 1.66GB.

How on earth does one get YouTube to provide 5K(2700) view option please?

TIA

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Technically it's a circle around an object at sunset, at some unknown geographic location.
As for the video, what's the purpose and who is the intended audience?
As for improvement, add text/audio to describe the video.
Thank you for you reply.
Purpose? To check I am getting the basics right. Intended audience? No one specific at this time.
I had put all information in the YouTube listing details, but take your point, any information needs to be embedded in the video somehow, whilst not distracting from the aesthetic.

Reactions: twickers14
Every video and every photograph is a personal creative exploration so I can only tell you how I might have approached this. To simply start with a wide shot of the sea mark (odd name in the middle of a field" doesn't build any interest. It just throws it in your face. I'd be pondering how I want to introduce the subject. It might be a very close up at the base, slowly rising to the top of the Sea Mark and then drawing back and away to reveal the object. A "reveal" is a common term in videography for the simple reason it's a very, very common thing to want to reveal something as opposed to simply showing it. Having revealed the object, one might begin a simply circle around it or perhaps view it with still images. An image from the base with the camera pointed up. A shot with the sun in back of it. An image from 10 feet directly above, 20 feet. 100 feet, all in quick succession. I'm just tossing out ideas and thoughts on ways to look at a simple "circle the object" in a story telling way instead of a simple quick look. I don't think the constant distance from the object was a choice I would have made. After seeing something for a few seconds - much more than 3 or 4, people's eye tends to wander unless there is something dynamic going on. You see in most videos, scenes don't often last much more than 5 or 6 seconds. There are plenty of times when that is not true but it's a somewhat general rule for a reason. 5 seconds of hyperlapse with the camera in the middle of a circle might be interesting. Your color grading looked fine and it was a good exposure - and good you didn't have it set on auto exposure. That's it from the top of my head. Nothing is meant to take away from a nicely done little video! Interesting subject...which leads me to how some description, rolling credit or talk talk would have clued the viewer in to what they are seeing. I'm still curious! Part 2 Please!
Thank you for your considered and detailed reply, very much appreciated.

I am working on a longer version (more MKII than Part 2) which has a reveal shot, and more. Tricky bit is going to be matching the clips as some taken earlier in the evening or on a different day altogether. I guess in-between each is where I could provide textual information.

To be honest, I am coming at this from a landscape stills photographer background and rotary pilot perspective. So wish to make videos where its about the imagery (and now audio) more than informing people, like say a documentary.

In time I hope to compose, perform, record and apply my own music to footage, though think that will be a way off.

The Sea Mark is but one feature of a chalk down near where I live. In time I hope to make a longer (more engaging) video covering the whole area, but I will hone my technique on this one subject for now before expanding further.

Weather's looking rubbish for the next week, so will get my head down and produce Sea Mark MKII and post a link back here to this thread for further critique.

Thank you once more, I value your input.

As I was watching your video my thoughts were:
Lots of effort to build that.
What is it's function?
Why is there a chamfer on the top?
What is a sea mark?
You have peaked my interest, hopefully you will provide more information. Thanks

As I was watching your video my thoughts were:
Lots of effort to build that.
What is it's function?
Why is there a chamfer on the top?
What is a sea mark?
You have peaked my interest, hopefully you will provide more information. Thanks
Thank you.

Need to get back up on the hill later this week when the rain has stopped and get some more stills. Having reduced my current clips down to the most interesting 3-4 secs, realise I only have enough for about a minute. Which leads me to think I should broaden the subject matter to all features on the hill which I have footage of.

In the meantime battling with YouTube to understand why with two different videos, of which the original MOV have the same HDR metadata when inspected in QT movie inspector, one comes out as HDR 2020 and the other as 4K 709 once uploaded. Very frustrating.

Thank you for your considered and detailed reply, very much appreciated.

I am working on a longer version (more MKII than Part 2) which has a reveal shot, and more. Tricky bit is going to be matching the clips as some taken earlier in the evening or on a different day altogether. I guess in-between each is where I could provide textual information.

To be honest, I am coming at this from a landscape stills photographer background and rotary pilot perspective. So wish to make videos where its about the imagery (and now audio) more than informing people, like say a documentary.

In time I hope to compose, perform, record and apply my own music to footage, though think that will be a way off.

The Sea Mark is but one feature of a chalk down near where I live. In time I hope to make a longer (more engaging) video covering the whole area, but I will hone my technique on this one subject for now before expanding further.

Weather's looking rubbish for the next week, so will get my head down and produce Sea Mark MKII and post a link back here to this thread for further critique.

Thank you once more, I value your input.
So I have the full version put together now, includes reveal shot, decent audio and even a voice over. There are a few issues that irk me, one being the frame jumping and wobbliness in places, but nothing I try in FCP seems to help.

Would be grateful for your opinion on this piece now and if there are any further refinements I can make.

Reactions: Cecil Webb
So I have the full version put together now, includes reveal shot, decent audio and even a voice over. There are a few issues that irk me, one being the frame jumping and wobbliness in places, but nothing I try in FCP seems to help.

Would be grateful for your opinion on this piece now and if there are any further refinements I can make.

I've seen your video on a non-HDR monitor so I guess YT is sending me a non-HDR converted version.

From a technical point of view, I think you could improve the video in the following aspects:

- In almost all scenes, highlights are very burnt out and washed out. Reduce the level or next time you shoot, take it into account when exposing.

- The video stutters when you play it. You can improve it or almost correct it, using the equivalente of "Retime and Scaling" controls of Davinci Resolve on FCPX (I don´t know how they're called on FCPX or where they're, but all the video editors have these settings)

1663229536477.png

- Add some kind of noise reduction to video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cecil Webb
I've seen your video on a non-HDR monitor so I guess YT is sending me a non-HDR converted version.

From a technical point of view, I think you could improve the video in the following aspects:

- In almost all scenes, highlights are very burnt out and washed out. Reduce the level or next time you shoot, take it into account when exposing.

- The video stutters when you play it. You can improve it or almost correct it, using the equivalente of "Retime and Scaling" controls of Davinci Resolve on FCPX (I don´t know how they're called on FCPX or where they're, but all the video editors have these settings)

View attachment 154758

- Add some kind of noise reduction to video.
Thank you very much for your feedback. Valuable points made. I am very new to the whole process and will look into these aspects as a priority.

Reactions: DiscoverSpain
It’s a nice a Point of Interest rotation shot, but as a simple suggestion, you could try a Helix where the drone gains height as it rotates around the POI. It’s simple but sometimes it looks cool.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots