DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Search and rescue "Agency" pilots?

Cafguy

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have been slowly looking into how to volunteer my services to Cal Fire as a drone operator and I am quickly finding out that apparently this is not going to be an easy task.
SO are there any of these "Agency" pilots on the forum, or anyone that has worked with local fire and rescue as a volunteer pilot, If so how exactly did you get started?

Reactions: Glenh
Thank you and the results are sort of helpful but they also seem to be missing a large step that is how one actually got his name on a list to take an Agency exam.
I have been told so far that drone operators with, or volunteers must hold a current Agency certificate but it seems like these courses are only offered to their employees and not others I have heard that volunteer drone operators are sometimes used by Cal Fire in certain search operations but I am wondering just how those operators snuck into the class lol

Last edited:
One of the first things you will need is a current 14CFR §107 certification. Flying as a drone operator volunteer or paid cannot be done under §44809 recreational exemption.

Reactions: Cafguy
Taking the commercial exam was as simple as getting my appiontment, going to pilot institute and studying, and taking it that step was clear and somewhat simple These " Agency " Certificates seem to be shrouded in some sort of who and how you know fog of mystery. I have also been hearing that it might require me to acquire a radio operators permit?

Outside of Cal Fire (unfamiliar to me), are there local volunteer Search and Rescue organizations you can take training with as an SAR volunteer?

Up north of you in Oregon that’s the opportunity we have - engage in the SAR training then join their drone team. Everybody has to have the SAR training before joining the drone team. This is basic safety and teamwork stuff, as well as skills and best practices in SAR.

When I asked local fire, police, and county sheriffs it seemed that they wanted their trained firefighters, their sworn officers, etc. piloting for drone operations. It may be different in other areas & jurisdictions, especially smaller ones with limited resources.

You, the drone operator, do not want to be the casualty your SAR team is now devoting resources to extracting/stabilizing instead of the people they turned out to rescue.

Reactions: Cafguy
"When I asked local fire, police, and county sheriffs it seemed that they wanted their trained firefighters, their sworn officers, etc. piloting for drone operations."

That is the same vibe I receive here YET at the same time, I would think they would want drone pilots willing to take and even pay for the training in order to work safely with search and rescue.
Sorry Cal Fire is just California Fire Dept.

Last edited:
Here’s what I had to do to satisfy our local VFD. Take and pass Part 107, ICS100, CS700, and NFPA2400. When deployed, I’m now covered by their insurance but I’m not considered a firefighter. All went well also with our local 911 until their insurance carrier would not cover me unless I flew THEIR drone (which doesn’t exist). It seems like the larger the organization the more difficult it is to volunteer, and insurance is a major stumbling block. One word of caution… DO NOT SELF DEPLOY. Best wishes and I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yes indeed this makes sense That helps A LOT perhaps insurance is indeed the secret stumbling block too becoming a drone pilot for California Fire. I will still be checking but now that you mention this it looks like maybe volunteer drone operations are just not done as much as I would think.

The Kern County Sheriff's Office has an established history of providing top quality search and rescue activity to the citizens of Kern County. There are 8 separate Search and Rescue groups located throughout the county consisting of over 225 citizen volunteers. These groups offer top quality rescue capabilities in the basic areas of ground searches in urban, desert, or mountain areas.
-excerpted from Kern County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue-

I think you're in Kern County? Cal Fire deals with wildfires statewide? Typically, all SAR operations are coordinated by County Sheriffs.

It looks like Kern Co. Sheriff works with citizen volunteer SAR groups, read up on them and contact them regarding SAR training and the potential for drone operations.

Reactions: Dbez1 and Cafguy
I'm not sure how I missed this post but this is right up my alley.

I've been on both sides of this equation and even though it's been tough over the years it's a LOT tougher now. Several years ago, when Drones were new equipment I was able to get in on the ground floor as a "Contract UAS Pilot". This allowed me to learn the "way of Emergency Services and SAR" from the ground up. I've been deployed to wrecks, fires, Hostage Standoffs, SAR, mudslides, swift water rescues, fallen hikers and so much more. I was able to learn it and then fortunate enough to be asked to Instruct as well. I've had the privilege of Instructing hundreds of EMS/Fire/LEO/SAR personnel around the southeast over the last several years and there is a LOT going into those High Stress flights that really doesn't correspond with anything Aerial Photography. Most new "drone entrants" into Emergency Services flying think they need to take "pretty" pictures for the Dept. Emergency Services is about getting Actionable and Archivable DATA rather than aesthetic imagery. Night and Day difference.

Emergency Services, and really just about ANY Industry, have learned it's easier to train someone on the INSIDE how to fly the Drone rather than training a Drone Operator how to do the "Dept" stuff. When you step back and look at it from the Dept point of view and the Big Picture it makes sense to train from within instead of contracting/hiring etc someone from the outside.

If you have any questions etc please don't hesitate to hit me up. I'm glad to help in any way I can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc